XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Is intake cleaning needed for a 2019 with 9k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022 | 12:52 PM
|
Default Is intake cleaning needed for a 2019 with 9k miles?

I took my 2019 XJL 5L Supercharged in for service for the first time. I bought it used with 9k miles. The dealership offered an intake cleaning "every year." Is that just a money-making thing? Isn't this a direct injection motor?

Old 02-09-2022 | 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

What is the cost and how is the cleaning performed?

Intake cleaning could mean anything.

Old 02-09-2022 | 02:34 PM

I imagine the intake cleaning is Wynns or similar version of a Seafoam-like foam cleaner. Supposed to stave off carbon buildup in the intake valves for DI engines. Not really a problem with the AJ as far as I know. Dont need it.

Old 02-09-2022 | 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EfficientLifeChurch
I took my 2019 XJL 5L Supercharged in for service for the first time. I bought it used with 9k miles. The dealership offered an intake cleaning "every year." Is that just a money-making thing? Isn't this a direct injection motor?
First of all, Jaguar 5.0LSC engines with less than 50,000 miles and regular oil changes usually don't have excessive carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. I would ask your dealer why they are recommending that service now, how much does it cost, and how do they do it. If all they do is pour an expensive can of snake oil into your gas tank, find another dealer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Pouring a can of intake cleaner into your gas tank won't remove the carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves of a Jaguar 5.0LSC engine because the fuel/cleaner mixture is injected directly into the combustion chamber and doesn't contact the back of the intake valves.

There are various effective methods to remove carbon buildup from the back of intake valves on direct injected engines. Search YouTube.

See this thread from the X150 (2007-2015 XK/XKR) Forum:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-0l-sc-225605/

Old 02-09-2022 | 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, no fuel additive will do anything to clean or reduce carbon build-up on the backs of the intake valves or in the intake ports in a GDI engine like that in a 2019 XJL (AJ133 V8). However it is common practice for JLR dealerships, as part of the annual service, to pour a tin of BG44K in the fuel tank and then charge you at least twice the cost of buying it yourself.
Nothing wrong with BG44K though, it is a quality product which works well to do it's main job of cleaning the combustion chambers, fuel lines and especially the fuel injectors. I for one use it every 12 months or so with an even better fuel system cleaner in between, Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
To (supposedly) clean the intake valves and ports I use CRC IVD Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner once every six months or so. It is sprayed into the intake system and that way it does pass over the intake valves and ports.
I say "supposedly" because I have no proof that it really does much but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that it works at least to some degree so for the small cost and time spent I consider it a worthwhile preventative measure.
Bottom line - don't take up the dealer offer, just buy some BG44K and/or Redline SI-1 yourself then DIY and save yourself a few bucks.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022 | 06:05 AM
|

They spray the intake.

Old 02-10-2022 | 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by EfficientLifeChurch
They spray the intake.
I've actually used the Seafoam intake cleaner available from Autozone & others (maybe WalMart too) which worked well.
I spoke w/ Crown Jaguar in Clearwater a couple years ago about induction cleaning, and one thing a service manager did say was that they use a commonly-available intake cleaner that I could use myself.
The Seafoam can includes a straw & straw guard that fit through the throttle body & intake plenum to deliver the cleaner into the intake.
It worked well, and after applying it and getting on the road, I did 'vigorously' step on the gas (as prescribed I believe) and got the cload of smoke out of the exhaust, although not as much as I had expected and hoped to see.
But part of the specific oil spec'd by JLR is that it's formulated for direct injection, and does what it can to mitigate carbon build-up in the intake & back of the valves. As long as you change oil frequently & use oil made for DI engines, it shouldn't be a terrible concern.
Especially so early.

Old 02-10-2022 | 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yes as others posted up thread we are lucky as Jaguar engines don't seem to suffer as bad with this as other brands. Now we have seen a few gunked up pretty bad but it is rare. The really odd thing is it seems like Land Rover has much more of a problem with this even though the engines are the same?

The only real cure is to remove the intake manifolds and use walnut shells to blast the back of the valves. Several member's have done a good job by manually cleaning the gunk off with spray cleaner and rages/towels/Q-Tips when they remove the SC for other services.

Old 02-10-2022 | 11:23 AM

9k miles driven gasoline engine? No, you don´t need it.
My diesel ( = soot generator) was checked with expensive fiberscope (hard to get valves visible on AJV6D without dismantling intake manifolds, high pressure fuel lines etc...) when it had ~150k miles (250t km) on the clock. There were some carbon, but far less that it would need any cleaning action. EGR:s still in intact, i change oils in 8k miles interval, i use only low saps oil recommended by JLR and i pour Lucas upper cylinder threatment in tank once of the year, in three full fill in the row.
Currently my big cat have 172k miles on dial. (276t km)