XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Intermittent issues continue? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent issues continue? HELP

Wife has a 1800's serial number car. Everything was fine (except several things were not enable yet) until the update was done to turn on her voice commands, etc. Since then we have had a trunk lid that works only sometimes and a back up camera that works when it wants to. It has been in to be fixed several times usually a hard reset, but usually after the drive home from the dealership it is already not working again. Anyone else with these recurring, intermittent problems???

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Have never had a problem with my trunk lid or backup camera before or after the software upgrades. Everything is working fine since my last visit to the dealer a couple of months ago and I now have over 5,000 miles on the clock.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM

I envy you.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This sounds to me as different people developing different parts of the software source code, and probably a lack of record keeping skills from Jaguar as to which version of the updates developed by who's brain is the final working version. Indians are supposed to be very good at math, so I would guess the software issues would not be that difficult to sort out. Why some cars function well while others don't, if they are running the exact same software version? It's obvious they are not. Something is wrong at the code level - unless different hardware sensors and switches are coming from several different manufacturers and quality control is sketchy, causing them to behave differently in exact same situations.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My rear view camera won't function at all at times - other times, it operates after waiting in reverse for 15+ seconds. I got it on video yesterday when the screen just went out (the main cluster) and then while it was in reverse nothing happened, it stayed on the main info page.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM

I think the computer is just slow when it first boots up and when you start it and go into reverse quickly it doesn't have time to get to the right commands. Of course who wants to wait 15-30 seconds to back up? No one!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the computer is a Little slow to boot up, sometimes it just takes a few extra seconds no big deal though, with 470hp and some of you lucky ones 510hp you can make up for lost time quickly as this car is crazy fast!! Some of you living up north haven't really been able to experience the power of the car as it has been snowing but when spring comes trust me your going to have a blast in this car.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Ocassionaly my the Navigation part of the system crashes and reboots. Separate processor and code? I assume. Once my TFT display rebooted. Wondering if there are separate systems made by separate programmers which are not communicating effectively with each other. Hence explaining why some cars have rarely any problems and others seem to never work at all. (At the user control software level I mean.)

Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Gears, I can only imagine how many nested ifs and endifs are in the source code... There are so many variables that keep changing all the time in systems like these, the code needs to be really tight and I'd even say "nippon-ized". I don't see anything wrong in Jaguar and the Germans getting some help from the japanese in these systems. They for sure have it down, it's flawless.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Gears, I can only imagine how many nested ifs and endifs are in the source code... There are so many variables that keep changing all the time in systems like these, the code needs to be really tight and I'd even say "nippon-ized". I don't see anything wrong in Jaguar and the Germans getting some help from the japanese in these systems. They for sure have it down, it's flawless.
I agree the Japanese are very good with electronics. However wasent Nippon Denso the manufacturer of the gas pedal that Toyota and Lexus had to recall for unintended acceleration problems last year?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

No. CTS made the defective pedal design. Denso units were used to replace the CTS pedals

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-denso-pedal/

The CTS parts were used in North American made cars while Japanese made cars used the Denso units, hence why they never needed to issue a recall in Asia

Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
No. CTS made the defective pedal design. Denso units were used to replace the CTS pedals

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-denso-pedal/

The CTS parts were used in North American made cars while Japanese made cars used the Denso units, hence why they never needed to issue a recall in Asia
I also think that the timing for that recall was interesting. It happen when the domestic auto industry was going to hell in a hand basket and in the end none of the black boxes analyzed showed system problems, but operator errors... But anyways, back to Jags - I WANT TO BUY ONE - come on Jag, chop chop on these stupid issues, I ain't buying one until they're fixed!!... Get another check from TATA and hire some Nipo Denso people! hurry! LOL

Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 PM

I agree!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

So sorta on topic. I was parking at a restaurant last night and I was pulling in slowly and hit the curb. My front parking sensors never came on. So I put the car in reverse and they are chirping their butts off. Aren't these things suppose to come on automatically below a certain speed or do I need to do something?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
So sorta on topic. I was parking at a restaurant last night and I was pulling in slowly and hit the curb. My front parking sensors never came on. So I put the car in reverse and they are chirping their butts off. Aren't these things suppose to come on automatically below a certain speed or do I need to do something?
The parking sensors only turn on when the car is in reverse and stay on when you switch to drive until you get to 10 mph at which point they shut off. They do not turn on again if you slow down, you have to manually turn them back on with the switch marked "P" which is by the sunroof controls on top.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Trust me, "MaybeXJ" - you do NOT want one. Unless you enjoy a trip to the dealership service department every couple of weeks - and unless you like leaving your new car 3-4 days at a time every time you take it in - you do NOT want one of these problem-plagued, temperamental, full-of-bugs cars. It'll drive you nuts. I promise.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nojagnomore
Trust me, "MaybeXJ" - you do NOT want one. Unless you enjoy a trip to the dealership service department every couple of weeks - and unless you like leaving your new car 3-4 days at a time every time you take it in - you do NOT want one of these problem-plagued, temperamental, full-of-bugs cars. It'll drive you nuts. I promise.
Oh I agree. I like the design though. I would probably be even more pissed than you were since I have been spoiled by my 100% worry free LS460. But I still have hopes that Jag will get these things sorted out in a few years. Then and only then I will consider buying one. And this is why I like these forums, it's great to learn about customer's experiences, bad and good.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nojagnomore
Unfortunately you had a bad experience with your Houston dealer and decided to dump your car. On the other hand, my Houston dealer fixed everything to my satisfaction in a reasonable time frame. My VIN is in the low 3,000's and the first one they delivered so I needed all of the fixes. I now have over 5,000 miles, no recurring issues, and I love the car.

To MaybeXJ: Just goes to show that this is mostly a dealer response issue once Jaguar got the TSB's to them. The cars coming from the factory now should have all known issues addressed, but this is a first year car, so some things may still surface. If you want to be sure that all bugs are worked out, wait for next year--some of us just have to have the latest and greatest now.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since upgrade, my XJL is having same types of intermittent problems. ie. backup camera and trunk lid. In Hawaii for the winter so I will take it in next Spring.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I also think that the timing for that recall was interesting. It happen when the domestic auto industry was going to hell in a hand basket and in the end none of the black boxes analyzed showed system problems, but operator errors... But anyways, back to Jags - I WANT TO BUY ONE - come on Jag, chop chop on these stupid issues, I ain't buying one until they're fixed!!... Get another check from TATA and hire some Nipo Denso people! hurry! LOL
Well, actually in Germany Toyota was completely exhonerated and it was determined that all the problems had been operator error. Now, that part had never been widely published. More in Germany, but not at all in the US. So, I am not really wondering. For me it was a clearly planned and well timed media attack on Toyota. And no wonder the NTSB helped. They are "owned" by the same people who "owned" GM at the time. The American Taxpayer that is.

Quick Reply: Intermittent issues continue? HELP