XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Iphone 4S Bluetooth Connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone 4S Bluetooth Connectivity

Hi-

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. While my Iphone 4S is paired to the car, and while using the USB cable to listen to music from the same phone, the car (or the phone) forces the phone into bluetooth streaming rather than through the USB cable after ~30 seconds. The screen proceeds to show the current song and time, but with no sound. Only after switching to the bluetooth screen is the audio once again heard.

Id like to use the USB cable for music without canceling the bluetooth connection as that will leave my phone unpaired. USB provides better sound quality in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 12XJL
Hi-

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. While my Iphone 4S is paired to the car, and while using the USB cable to listen to music from the same phone, the car (or the phone) forces the phone into bluetooth streaming rather than through the USB cable after ~30 seconds. The screen proceeds to show the current song and time, but with no sound. Only after switching to the bluetooth screen is the audio once again heard.

Id like to use the USB cable for music without canceling the bluetooth connection as that will leave my phone unpaired. USB provides better sound quality in my opinion.

Any thoughts?
I have the exact same issue. I believe it appeared after I updated my iPhone to iOS 5.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Me too. Not sure yet but it might be a hardware issue. I'll keep everyone posted but have an open case now with a jaguar.

In theory, our phones are compatible according to the website.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs down

Car back today supposedly with Jag tech helping the dealership. Had the service manager babble some acronyms about what they touched. Made no sense even under questioning.

All I could understand was they reflashed the car. Not clear if there was any update or if they had the slightest idea what they were doing. Think the only effect was I lost my daytime running lights I specifically had activated in Dallas.

Bottom line is the phone still will not play consistently tethered. Worked until I hit a bump. Then didn't. Obviously a short but these geniuses only seem to fix something that throws a computer code. Pretty disgusted with Jag at this point. Dealer network sucks.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up a 2012 for my wife today and we're having the same issue (posted earlier, didnt see this post).. From what i am able to see, it's the phone switching, not the car - so looks like an iOS issue (i'm on iOS 6) and not a Jaguar issue ..
My problem is even worse because when i switch to streaming, the sound skips/stops intermittently ..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default iPhone 4 s Bluetooth audio streaming

This may help. I have a 2012 xjl and an iPhone 4. Have never had any issues with the phone pairing and streaming music over Bluetooth - without the cable- . No problems for almost a year until I took the new iOS download 6.0.1 from 6.0. Last week. After that download the music would stop or stop and start when Bluetooth audio streaming. After 2 hours at the apple store. The only solution was to wipe my phone clean and do a restore and take the download again. They said it was a very large download and it may have been corrupted the first time. It was a major pain but so far it has worked. So right now it's not a jaguar problem but an iPhone iOS issue. I would try this first before going to the dealership because as I have learned in the past jaguar can screw up your car when trying to fix small problems.

The following users liked this post:
Randy (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Venture
..solution was to wipe my phone clean and do a restore and take the download again.
Thanks.. will give that a try! I've done restores before, actually pretty painless.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Venture
This may help. I have a 2012 xjl and an iPhone 4. Have never had any issues with the phone pairing and streaming music over Bluetooth - without the cable- . No problems for almost a year until I took the new iOS download 6.0.1 from 6.0. Last week. After that download the music would stop or stop and start when Bluetooth audio streaming. After 2 hours at the apple store. The only solution was to wipe my phone clean and do a restore and take the download again. They said it was a very large download and it may have been corrupted the first time. It was a major pain but so far it has worked. So right now it's not a jaguar problem but an iPhone iOS issue. I would try this first before going to the dealership because as I have learned in the past jaguar can screw up your car when trying to fix small problems.
Just to confirm on my end, i haven't had a problem streaming Bluetooth. My problem occurs when the iphone is paired for phone conversation and is also plugged in using the USB cable. It's when playing music using the iPhone setting through the cable that the music stops. It will play for 30 seconds before it switches to Bluetooth mode requiring me to switch the setting in the car to Bluetooth mode.

This wouldn't be the worst thing if the Bluetooth mode allowed the control flexibility that using the cord does, but it doesn't. Bluetooth just allows skipping to the next/previous song.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Restored the wife's iPhone and that did not help at all...

After much testing with 2 iPhone's I have confirmed that it seems to be a weak/bad bluetooth signal issue. this can be confirmed by cupping your hand over the top portion of the iPhone while streaming audio.. doing so will make the streaming stop depending on where the iphone is in the cabin. Cupping your hand over the top and touching the two "death spots" (the white separators near the top, on each side) to short the left, top and right antennas together, and this will interrupt streaming virtually anywhere in the car. This happens with both my and my wife's iphone 5's, but hers (white) seems a bit more sensitive than mine (black). Her case also seems to make it worse still, when compared to putting on my case.

I guess one option is to just place the iphone as close as possible to the XJ Bluetooth receiver antenna - does anyone know where the Bluetooth antenna is??

PS- hundreds of pages at the Apple support forums about this problem since iOS6

Last edited by Randy; 11-12-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added clarity and detail.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe it is a bluetooth signal as well. I think the antenna is close to the screen. I am having music skipping issue with bluetooth streaming and the closer the phone to the screen the better it is. At first I thought it was whether the phone was upside-down because it worked better upside-down but then it started skipping like that as well. I found out the only way to stop it from skipping was to put it closer to the screen.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 AM

I've found this in a Subaru forum. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...usb-issue.html

Seems they are having a similar problem to me. I'm going to try to attach the USB cord AFTER the Bluetooth has already synced an see whether that order of operations helps.

****Tried and still no success****

Last edited by 12XJL; 11-13-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM
xjb

Just to add another data point: I just replaced my iPhone 4S with an iPhone 5. The problem remains the same. As I mentioned above, I think the problem started when I updated the iPhone 4S to iOS 5. The update to iOS 6 changed nothing. I'm going to push this through both the Apple and Jaguar support systems and see if that helps.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
xjb

The problem persisted for me when I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS8. It also has persisted with an upgrade to an iPhone 6. No solution from Jaguar or Apple.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The faults in iOS8 are well known and some claim will be fixed in a later version. The faults affect many makes of car and are clearly Apple's fault. Go see their forum(s)...

Old 10-13-2014, 06:38 AM
xjb

Originally Posted by JagV8
The faults in iOS8 are well known and some claim will be fixed in a later version. The faults affect many makes of car and are clearly Apple's fault. Go see their forum(s)...
To be clear, my issue appeared when I updated to iOS5 and has remained through all subsequent iOS updates. For me at least, it is not peculiar to iOS8.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Yeah, I can believe it, Apple seem to be having lots of problems with software, BT included. They're selling so many phones they maybe don't care.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 AM
xjb

I've just updated my iPhone 6 to iOS9 and the problem persists. Anyone else have a different result?

Originally Posted by 12XJL
Hi-

Any thoughts?

Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

weird - have you guys tried with another iPhone ?

I have a 2014 XJ and I use usb cable music pretty much everyday, once I get in the car.

Never once it jumped to bluetooth.

Last week, I made a 1100kms ( 800 miles over the pond ? ) round trip with a few friends and they connected via usb one android phone ( Samsung Note 2 ) and worked like a charm.

The other had a HTC One, which the Jaguar USB system didnt recognize - and connected and streamed via Bluetooth without a hitch the whole trip.

It was stored in the glove box where the usb is, because it was low on battery - hence was charging. And streaming via bluetooth the whole time without cuts.

Perhaps you guys are using spotify and its downloading the music its being downloaded ? Once in a while, if I'm streaming spotify music that I did not donwload, it cuts here and there when I go under a tunnel, etc.

ps : I have a iPhone6 64gb, with IOS8,11, upgrading now to IOS9

Old 09-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

quick update : I updated my iPhone to iOS9 and everything still working like a charm.

note : Im using Spotify always - never iTunes. Perhaps because of that ? I use both Spotify with predownloaded tracks or online.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 AM
xjb

Yes. The problem persisted for me when I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS8 and remains after I upgraded to an iPhone 6.

My problem is not that it jumps from usb to bluetooth. The problem is that after a minute or two on usb, it stops playing and I have to switch to bluetooth if I want to continue listening.

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca
weird - have you guys tried with another iPhone ?

I have a 2014 XJ and I use usb cable music pretty much everyday, once I get in the car.

Never once it jumped to bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Iphone 4S Bluetooth Connectivity