XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jag dealer brakes or OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I don't know if you are still under CPO warranty, but if you are the dealer had to certify Brake Pad Thickness (6 mm pad material min.)and Brake Rotor Thickness (rotors 50% of wear limit) this is from the CPO Brochure at the time of the sale. In any event the wear limits of the rotors are stamped in the edge of each rotor. So you can measure yours against that to find if you are indeed in need of new rotors. As for the wear indicator it is worn by the edge "lip" of the rotor, so the more worn the rotor and the greater lip will trigger the low pad warning while there is still a lot of pad material left. In my experience of over 100k miles I find the rotors last for 2 sets of pads. On x351s the rears wear faster than the fronts as the rears are used as part of the handling setup and "drag" in turns to hold the rear end in and track better. Recently I had my dealer replace all 4 rotors (OEM and price matched form Jaguar Parts Unlimited which is the web presents of Exeter Jaguar in New Hampshire) and install Brembo pads I purchased through Rock Auto or from Brembo's site as I was changing pad material and wanted to start fresh.. Stopping is great and pad dust is way way down. Lastly my dealer will only recommend rotors when the are worn below spec.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (09-30-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
I suggest a couple of resources for better-than-Jaguar replacement brake pads & rotors:

1 - Rock Auto (I usually get many parts for my wife's Jag & my Range Rover from there, especially the best brake pads & rotors)
For example, they offer a set of front ceramic pads from Power Stop (the brand I always use when possible) for as little as $32 for a full front set. Very clean replacement pads.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
Your rear pads are probably fine at 48k miles, since rears do not wear nearly as much as the front, but still worth a quick visual inspection.

2 - Summit Racing

3 - Autohausaz.com

I've found the best prices on non-Jaguar authentic parts from them.
For authentic Jaguar parts, several dealerships offer better-than-MSRP prices; I often (but not quite always) prefer Merriam Jaguar for authentic Jaguar parts.

Go ahead. Take a few minutes to shop around. Be smart and knowledgeable on your options.
Yep, I put Power Stop Evolution Z16 ceramic pads front and rear from Rock Auto on my old XFS and they were great, in fact the best brake pads I have ever had on any of my Jags. Very cheap, good stopping power, zero fade, good wear, zero noise, nice and progressive and best of all almost zero dust.
The only problem is they don't make 'em for the XJR etc with the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear brakes, only for the "cooking" models with the 355 mm front and 326 mm rear brakes.
I have also bought parts from Summit Racing over the years (although not for the Jags), good prices and service.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-19-2024)