XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ – clock spring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJ – clock spring Replacement

As the owner of a Jaguar XJ (X351), I have noticed a real shortage of repair videos for this specific model. There are lots of repair videos and instructions for the XF, XE, or even some older XJ’s, but not the Saloon car. With that I mind, I decided to document the repair of my clock spring for the XJ (2011-2015). This repair may work through the 2019 model year too.

In 2021, I bought my first Jaguar XJ from a friend that was in great shape. The only issue he knew about, was that a pesky airbag light that had been on for a while. He sincerely thought it was just a fuse. Soon after the purchase, my horn went out and an intermittent error message started appearing saying “Manual Shift Disabled”. This could be cleared by pressing “OK” on the wheel. This message eventually stayed on constantly and I was unable to clear it. This meant that I could no longer access the menus or even service menu to simply check my oil. Seriously, what idiot designed that fault circuit? By the way, why the hell isn’t there an oil dipstick anyway? What are they trying to be obsessive minimalist like Apple or something?

Getting back to the story, so I took the vehicle to the dealer who diagnosed it as a bad clock spring. This is a device behind the steering wheel that keeps all the electrical connections on that wheel connected and working without becoming a tangled mess as you turn this way and that way. So, $800 later it was fixed by the Jaguar dealer in July of 2021.Fast forward to March of 2023 (about 15K miles later), my airbag light starts staying on again. Soon, my horn stops working again and (you guessed it) the “Manual Shift Disabled” error message on the display completes the Coup de grâce. The damn clock spring has apparently gone out again! I contacted the dealer and they said it was only warranted for 12 months. Now that is just embarrassing quality for Jaguar and the dealership alike. I decide to NOT take it back to them again.

This time I bought a used OEM part off of E-bay and decide to tackle the problem myself, using YouTube, Jaguar Forums, and wherever else I could scrounge up shared Jaguar XJ or similar model information. It was slim pickings, but thanks to other unselfish people sharing their knowledge online, I did it! Thank you again to everyone for their videos and posts. Below is the process and tools I used to successfully replace my clock spring:

Jaguar XJ – clock spring Replacement

Very Important: Disconnect both battery Negative battery terminals in the trunk (may be a 10 mm socket)

Very Important: Allow 30-60 minutes for the SRS capacitors to discharge (extra time to be safe with airbag)

Notes on Removing the airbag:

There are no screws for this, it is done by moving two wire “spring catches” in back of the steering wheel to release the air bag. They make a specialty part for this: JLR-501-168 DAB - AIRBAG REMOVAL TOOL, however, it is not necessarily needed. This can also be done with an old flat head screw driver that is bent to 90°. I slightly twisted mine to allow for a little more turning leverage. My bionic hand wasn’t working well, so a vice and a little muscle helped make the tool. I actually ordered the “specialty tool”, but became inpatient so ended up doing the job without it. Attached is a picture of the tools I used to complete the work as well as the specialty tool, as well as a .PDF of the whole process too.

Also uploaded are some really helpful diagrams that I referenced on another thread on the Jaguarforum.com. Thankfully, a senior member by the name of: Rummy636 uploaded these diagrams, which I found useful. I don’t know him personally, but Cheers mate! For reference and credit, a link to his thread is also included along with his pictures:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-234710/

Clock Spring replacement procedure: Jaguar XJ (2011-2015) - perhaps through model year 2019 as well

Note: Some of the directions below are from the previous thread referenced but very much expounded upon to work for an XJ clock spring replacement.

Very Important: Disconnect both battery Negative battery terminals in the trunk (may be a 10 mm socket)

Very Important: Allow 30-60 minutes for the SRS capacitors to discharge (could be less time, but why not allow for extra time to be safe with airbag)

1) Turn the steering wheel right, 90° to 120°.

2) Insert the 90° bent flat head screw driver blade (or specialty tool if you have it) into the triangle shaped hole on the back of the steering wheel, where it joins the steering column.

3) Turn the blade toward the driver door to release the spring catch. You should hear it release. If not heard, gently pull on the airbag to see if that side feels loose.

4) Repeat for left side: Turn the steering wheel left, 90° to 120°.

5) Insert the 90° bent flat head screw driver blade (or specialty tool if you have it) into the triangle hole on the back of the steering wheel, where it joins the steering column.

6) Turn the blade toward the Passenger door to release the spring catch. You should hear it release. If not heard, gently pull on the airbag to see if this side also feels loose. It should be fully released now, with only three electrical connectors holding it on.

** Note: Take pictures or video or both to note where and how the wires are connected and routed.

7) Disconnect the 2 airbag wires and 1 ground; store the airbag face-up, preferably outside of the car.

8) Now, make sure your steering wheel and front tires are pointing straight ahead.

9) With a permanent marker or similar, mark the 12:00 O’clock position on the Center Bolt, washer, and steering wheel frame.

10) Remove the center bolt with 13/16 “ socket and set it aside. The wheel will now come right off.

11) To access the clock spring, first remove the bottom and then the top plastic casing around the base of the steering wheel. There are two Torx T-20’s for bottom and then three hidden Torx T-20’s holding on the top from the inside. Note that those three screws are only accessible after removing the bottom casing.

12) After that is done, now you can easily remove the four Torx T-20’s holding on the clock spring.

13) Unplug and remove the connections on the old clock spring

14) Now you can easily remove the turn signal and wiper switch from the old clock spring and plug them into the new clock spring.

15) Reconnect and install the new clock spring with the four T-20’s screws

16) Reinstall the steering wheel casings (top and bottom, in that order).

17) Keeping your Marks from Step 9 lined up, reinstall the steering wheel with the center bolt, using medium thread locker # 42 and a torque wrench. The center bolt should be tightened to 40 Nm (which is 29.5 Ft. lbs.).

15) Reinstall the airbag connections and then clip each side of the airbag in. You should hear a click as each side grabs the spring catch.

16) Reconnect the batteries and you should be about done. Just to make sure, start the car and see if the telltale Airbag light goes off, horn works, and that annoying “Manual Shift Disabled” error message is gone. If so, then pat yourself on the back Chico, because you are now “The Man!”

As mentioned earlier, there is a real shortage of XJ (X351) videos and repair information online. This is likely due to the fact that there are just not as many of these models out there, especially in the USA. Regardless, I truly hope my efforts here helped out some fellow Jaguar XJ or other model owners and perhaps encourage them to share their knowledge base as well. All the best!

Tools used to complete the clock spring replacement

Old flat head screw drivers bent to 90°

Medium Threadlock for steering wheel bolt

Here is the Specialty tool which wasn’t used as it arrived a day late.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by The_White_Pantera:
KiwiJon (04-29-2023), ralphwg (04-12-2023), wombat (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, thank you for the detailed instructions, just wanted to know has the transmission adaptations been reset as well when you disconnected the two batteries?
Many Thanks

Old 04-15-2023, 01:21 PM

Tom,

Glad you liked the long write up on the clock spring work. Unlike in the past when I have changed out only one battery, there was nothing that needed recalibration this time.
Perhaps because I disconnected both batteries (negative terminal)? The auto windows worked normal and everything else electronic too.
I don't have any special transmission values stored (that I am aware of), but the car shifts just as before.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:06 AM

Hi, Thank you for your reply, after releasing the spring catch on both ends did you have to use a bit of pulling force to remove the airbag from the steering wheel or did the airbag became loose so you didn't have to use any force to remove it, thank you for your help

Old 04-27-2023, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Yes later models like we have do not reset the transmission adaptations with a battery disconnect. That can be done in SDD.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:48 AM

Tomwhite,

When the first spring catch was released, I didn't feel that it was real loose yet.
However, after the second side was released, a gentle tug released the airbag nicely.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Best Regards,

Old 04-27-2023, 05:32 PM

Hi, Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated, I just had a problem when trying to release the spring from one side when I twist the tool to release I can see the pin move but does not engage in the unlock position and the other side it does release and latch but as soon as I turn the steering wheel to release the other side it clicks back to the lock position, I don't know if you had this issue, I really appreciate if you can shed any light on this issue.
All the best

Old 04-27-2023, 06:24 PM

Tomwhite,

I did not have that experience. If you haven't already tried it, reverse the order on the releasing the spring catches, so that the one that is clicking back is the last one to be released. Hopefully they both do not do that.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:20 PM

Hi, Many thanks for all your help, much appreciated all worked fine.
All the best