XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ change all interior light bulbs to LED?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ change all interior light bulbs to LED?

Has anyone changed all the in interior bulbs to LED? on the Jaguar XJ x351 MY2016?

Do you have a list and of all bulbs ( location and type) and replacement LED bulb?

Any issues or errors displayed in changing?

Old 08-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

I changed mine to LED. I used a few different types based on where they were located. The only "problem" that I have is the map lights tend to have a low glow to them at night. So, they are not completely off. Are they really bright? By no means. But, think of it as having a dim glow to help guide you to where the lights are. Some people that have ridden in my car think it is a neat future of the Jag. If you put in an LED that has a resistor to bring it up to the correct current for the car, then you shouldn't have this problem. It stems from the fact that the computer monitors the current flowing through the circuit and part of that goes through the lens. This is what controls the light turning on and off. Because there is a little bit of power applied, the LEDs will glow very faintly. Other than that. No issues. The only lights I have not replaced with LEDs are the ones on the underside of the mirrors. I am having a hell of a time getting the lens to release. Not that big of a deal to me. If you want to upgrade the license plate lights, you can either replace the bulbs or get the lights for a Ford CMAX and they are a direct replacement for the whole light assembly. You can now read my license plate from a mile away. He he he he.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), mohaqq (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Do you have a list of bulbs required, locations etc... any pictures showing the finished look?

Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Mohaqq, I don't have a list of bulbs. As I recall, most of them used a T10 base. But, for example, on the center light for the front overhead light, I used a 12 LED plate with a T10 plug. In the lights next to the overhead light and in the foot wells, I used a wedge style LED bulb (see https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-T10-1...oAAOSwUWlfMLmO). If you look up my name, I did a comparison write up of a bunch of different style lights. You can see what I used there. The different LED bulbs have different characteristics. The big thing you need to keep in mind is that most of the bulbs in the XJ need to shine their light perpendicular to the base. So, having a bulb that shines out the end is going to result in very poor lighting. You need bulbs that shine out the sides. That is why I went with the wedge style bulbs in most locations. I went with the plates with the hope of getting a bit more light (due to more LEDs) for the main lights.

As for look, this is where you have options. If you look at LED listings, they almost all include a number followed by the letter K (6500K, 4300K, etc) This number is telling you the whiteness of the bulb. The 6500K bulbs are a pure white with a slight tint of blue to them. You find 5000K bulbs, those are going to be snow white (maybe a slight hint of yellow). You get into the 4300K, these are going to look like the incandescent bulbs in your car right now. You drop down to 3300K, you will end up with something very yellow. Going above 6500K is going to net you something that is definitely blue in color.

This is where the color of light can have a slight consideration as the 6500K lights are going to be harder to read say a map by, something in the 4300K is going to be better. But, the 4300K are going to distort the colors of the interior, the 6500K bulbs will give a much more accurate color response. So, what are you desiring from your car.

The final thing to balance is light intensity. With LEDs, I find their ratings to be very subjective. Power means very little other than you can do a relative comparison of 1 watt is about 80 lumen. If you see a very low power but high lumen, they numbers are being fudged. LIkewise, if the power is high, but a low lumen, they have probably under rated the bulb. Current draw, nothing. Lumen rating is the best indicator. Keep in mind that the wedge style bulbs will need their lumen cut by 1/3 because you have 1 side shining straight down and then other side shining up into the light fixture. So, that side is not going to give you full light.

I installed these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LED-Car-...Cclp%3A2334524 for my license plate lights as I damaged the housings that came with the car. These are far brighter than the factory fixtures.

If you have more questions, let me know. I have done a lot of looking into LEDs and found pros and cons to the same LEDs. I use this also for inside my house. I have different colors for different parts of my house (converted the whole house to LED). I have even gone as far as to create my own LED bulbs/arrays. So, if you need info about that, let me know. I have managed to break the norm (1 watt is 80 lumen of light) and I have a 9 watt array that is outputting around 3500 lumen (or 400 lumen per watt). That bulb lights up my whole back yard plus some.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), michaelnv (08-30-2020), mohaqq (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 AM

this is great and thanks for all the information, very helpful, appreciate all the knowledge sharing on this forum 👍🏼👍🏼😊

Old 07-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

was anyone ever able to find a list of bulb types each location uses? specifically the non T10 ones, like the rear footwells (bottom back of front sets) are festoon, and the ones at the bottom of doors, and trunk?

Old 07-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteZags
was anyone ever able to find a list of bulb types each location uses? specifically the non T10 ones, like the rear footwells (bottom back of front sets) are festoon, and the ones at the bottom of doors, and trunk?
well from reading around seems doorcards and rear footwells are 36mm festoon and trunk is 41mm festoon

Last edited by EliteZags; 07-21-2022 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Week end fun

Hello ,everyybody,
Saturday was maintenance day's, I've purchased my car in April and it just got to the 100 000 miles mark, so sateurday :
  • New filters,
  • Engine iol change
  • Gear box oil change
  • sparkplug change
  • Liquid coolant change
The last gearbox oil change dated from 2011 (it's a 2003 XJ8) wich is a good new however to it's to bad that the date of fabrrication of the oil pan is inside the carter and note outside!! Good thinking ZF

Stay safe

Old 01-25-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by DBCane46
Hello ,everyybody,
Saturday was maintenance day's, I've purchased my car in April and it just got to the 100 000 miles mark, so sateurday :
  • New filters,
  • Engine iol change
  • Gear box oil change
  • sparkplug change
  • Liquid coolant change
The last gearbox oil change dated from 2011 (it's a 2003 XJ8) wich is a good new however to it's to bad that the date of fabrrication of the oil pan is inside the carter and note outside!! Good thinking ZF

Stay safe
Nice! BUT why would anything about a 2003 XJ8 be posted in this forum?

Old 01-25-2023, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
Nice! BUT why would anything about a 2003 XJ8 be posted in this forum?
Thinking maybe the forum equivalent to drunk dialing?

Anyway congrats on the X350 DB. I had one and really enjoyed it.