XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ demographics

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJ demographics

Anyone know if the new XJ/XF have significantly lowered the average age of a Jag buyer? I know that for me (34 yo) Jag was totally off my radar until the XF/XJ showed up. But I'm wondering if others are similar; do you think that the new body styles have made Jags attractive to the younger luxury car buyer?

Frankly, in this class, I think that the XJ is the most appealing to younger drivers. The LS/S class/7 series are all totally boring (well, the S63/65 aren't, but they are in a whole different price range), and the Austin Martin, while really awesome looking, is also shooting for a different demographic (probably 400K+ income, where I think the Jag is shooting more for 200K+).

Anyway, if anyone has any studies (or anecdotal evidence), please feel free to pass them on.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what their actual demographics are, but I'm in my early forties, and I completely agree with your assessment, "The LS/S class/7 series are all totally boring". I was going to get a BMW 7 series until a saw a new XJL in a parking lot. It was like a bolt of lightening, never considered anything else after my test drives, only which XJL to get.

Beautiful car. Now my friends want one.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I considered the Jag and a Cadillac CTS-V. A Cadillac! Never say never. lol

The classic named brands have been smart enough to rebrand effectively with astounding products to break the age barrier. And you are right. The once hip Euro brands are starting to look like old peoples cars though old people don't look like old people anymore. lol

Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, I'm 37 and would have never considered the old xj but the new designs from jaguar turned me around. They definatley appeal to a younger buyer IMO, more so than the designs of the S class or the new A8 although I did like the old A8. The 7 series I find attractive very muscular looking but the performance, interior and value of the XJ sold me.

I also considered the CTS-V that car is a performance bargain!! But the salesman at the Jaguar dealer made me a very good offer to trade my XF S/C for the new XJ S/C.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Well, glad to see I'm not the only one. I actually like the new A8 design, and probably would have seriously considered that if not for the Jag. But the XJ/XF are (IMHO) just in another league compared to other cars in their class. The CLS and A7 are both competative with the XF, but, in the large car range, there's really nothing else like the XJ (expect, perhaps the Masarati, which is in a different price category entirely).

It's interesting, I wonder if the other manufactures are going to "cede" that market to Jag and keep making their (some of them VERY good cars, so don't take it the wrong way) boring "luxo-barges"? You'd think the CLS would show MB that people are willing to pay more for style (10K premium over the E class, which is really what the CLS is), you have to wonder if they are going to try a CLS based on the S class platform?

Anyway, please keep the conversations coming, I'm always interested to see how others perceive this slice of the market. I've always bought my car for "looks first, utility second", but, apparently I'm (and the rest of us here) are a bit of a rare breed. Seems that most buyers in this class buy for utility first (Lexus being the prime example) and looks be damned.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM
dok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't lower the average age of Jag buyers as I am 69, but have always preferred sporty looking cars. I have never considered Jaguars in the past as I thought that they were too conservative looking. I felt the same way about BMW and MB cars.

We were looking to buy a CTS-V type when we stopped at the local Jaguar dealer to look at an XF. My wife didn't care for it, but pointed to a Botanical Green XJL sitting on the lot and said "I love the look of that one." I loved it also, but hadn't planned on spending that much money. 2 months later I looked on the dealer's website and saw that it was still there. We drove down and bought it.

Driving this car makes me feel young again. We are driving to upstate New York next month to visit our sons. I can't wait to take it on the trip.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Some friends and i went out to eat last night to Hillstone's (which used to be Houston's) and when you valet park they give you a clicker thing that you press a couple of minutes before you're ready to leave and they'll have your car up front. Well when I got out of the car and held my hand out for the "clicker thing" the valet told me I wouldn't need one that I would be parked up front (next to the entrance).

There is no age factor with this car!!!! Period! I'm 45 and would have bought one if I was 25 if I could have afforded it then...........

Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM

I love it when that happens. I pulled up to the Capital Grille in Palm Beach Gardens about a year ago in my CLS, got out, handed the valet the key, and he moved it about 10 feet and parked it right in front of the restaurant. It's stupid, but sure does feel good (for us idiots anyway).

I agree with you (obviously, being 34 and buying one); I'm just wondering if others see it the same way. It's really hard to make a car attractive to a 30 year old and a 60 year old at the same time. Sure, everyone loves the look of a Ferrari; but not too many older folks (60+) really want to own one. Same thing with a LS Lexus. Great car, kind of hard to convince a well-heeled 25 year old to buy one.

If Jag is able to really cut through the demographics with this car, they are going to really have a winner on their hands.

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Some friends and i went out to eat last night to Hillstone's (which used to be Houston's) and when you valet park they give you a clicker thing that you press a couple of minutes before you're ready to leave and they'll have your car up front. Well when I got out of the car and held my hand out for the "clicker thing" the valet told me I wouldn't need one that I would be parked up front (next to the entrance).

There is no age factor with this car!!!! Period! I'm 45 and would have bought one if I was 25 if I could have afforded it then...........

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt

Haha what a wonderful thing. Usually the ramp is reserved for Porsche 911s and dreary S-Classes with tasteless 22" wheels. Either of my Jags will get parked on the ramp from time to time... the XJ, not so much, it takes a special valet to see its excellence. At the Hyatt in Miami the XK got a spot on the ramp for a few days.

Being less advanced in years than a new XJ buyer, my XJ is inversely related... Its age is closer to my age. The new one has boundless appeal though. Just a reasonable demographic argues over its styling.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I was in Hamburg a few weeks ago and the valet let me put my car right in front of the hotel which wasnt really parking but there was a spot that could fit two cars. One day a Lambo was sitting there and then once when I asked for my car the valet got it and handed me my keys and said beautiful. That was enough for me. I think Jaguar may not only lowered the age of people who may buy this car but they also lowered the perception in peoples mind of who owns a Jaguar. I don't think you can say it looks like an old mans car anymore.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just turned 32, was 31 so Im helping bring the age down a bit. Love my SS wouldn't want anything else

Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

There was a hotel valet attendant in Greece. He was very used to high end Mercedes and BMW vehicles.

One day, he saw his first Jaguar XJR in the x308 style.

After the chauffer let the lady out, he asked him what kind of car it was.

It became his dream car. After he emigrated to North America, he saved up his money until he could afford to buy a used one just like it.

BTW, he could reverse that car faster and straighter on ice than most people can drive forwards on dry pavement. He was also an ace at rounding the poles in the parking garage. Practice makes perfect

Last edited by plums; 07-26-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there's an old saying "you can sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car." While some younger buyers might jump into an XJ, I think the sheer size of the car makes is an older person's look. The fact is, the older you get, the larger the car you tend to drive, all else being equal. Also, cars naturally get more expensive the larger they are, and older people can better afford that. Jaguar knows the average age of the new XJ buyers, but I'm guessing it is easily 40+.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM

I think that "size is for old people" stereotype is dying; if you asked a bunch of young people what their "dream" car is right now I think a lot of them would answer "Escalade" and "Navigator" (there's no accounting for taste). I certainly expected to dislike the XJ because it's "so big, it's like the Town Car my grandfather drove" but it quickly won me over.

I'm sure the cost will keep this car out of reach of most drivers in their 20s and 30s, but I wonder more "would they WANT to buy this car" rather than "could they". Every high school senior out there would be driving a Bugatti if they could; not many would have picked the old XJ over just about any other options that they could have.

I'm sure I'm dropping the average age of ownership; I'd love to see the demographics on this car from Jag; it would be really interesting to see how alone some of us "younger owners" are.

Originally Posted by RoeXK
I think there's an old saying "you can sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car." While some younger buyers might jump into an XJ, I think the sheer size of the car makes is an older person's look. The fact is, the older you get, the larger the car you tend to drive, all else being equal. Also, cars naturally get more expensive the larger they are, and older people can better afford that. Jaguar knows the average age of the new XJ buyers, but I'm guessing it is easily 40+.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought it before I was 31 (my wife was only 24 - so she's no where near their demographic). I went to the Aston Martin dealership to look at a Vantage and my wife said, "can we look at these". She raved about it for the two weeks leading up to us purchasing it. They let us take it overnight... I bought it because my wife followed me home (in our Escalade which I thought was plenty tasteful) and as we pulled in, she had a big smile on her face and said, "you look really hot in that car". So I bought it.

I will say my salesman had a lot to do with it. He didn't look at us like 'young kids' and stereotype us the second we walked in and try to sell us a Honda Accord.

I could have afforded something else... but the styling, gizmos, backseat, sunroof(s), handling, etc sold me. I've had more men in their late 40's and up pull up next ot me at a light and give me a thumbs up or chase me into a parking lot to see what kind of car it was.

And you hit the nail on the head with valets. The places that I frequent the most, don't charge me to park the car they enjoy it that much.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I bought it before I was 31 (my wife was only 24 - so she's no where near their demographic). I went to the Aston Martin dealership to look at a Vantage and my wife said, "can we look at these". She raved about it for the two weeks leading up to us purchasing it. They let us take it overnight... I bought it because my wife followed me home (in our Escalade which I thought was plenty tasteful) and as we pulled in, she had a big smile on her face and said, "you look really hot in that car". So I bought it.

I will say my salesman had a lot to do with it. He didn't look at us like 'young kids' and stereotype us the second we walked in and try to sell us a Honda Accord.

I could have afforded something else... but the styling, gizmos, backseat, sunroof(s), handling, etc sold me. I've had more men in their late 40's and up pull up next ot me at a light and give me a thumbs up or chase me into a parking lot to see what kind of car it was.

And you hit the nail on the head with valets. The places that I frequent the most, don't charge me to park the car they enjoy it that much.
Before 31? I need to get in your line of work. Did you get a chance to look at the Astons?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I did. I still want one... and if this year goes right, I'll go back to the same dealer and get one - I think they are the nicer of the $100k sports cars assuming you buy new.

I started when I was 12 selling Reese's PB Cups to the kids with the lunch money my mom gave me... never looked back.

In all seriousness. I bought and sold mortgage backed securities from 2009 until beginning of this year, when things were at their worst... then wrote the debt down in benefit of the homeowner and then sold the newly performing notes back to private investors.

Now, comically enough, I own a line of womens clothing and boutiques (thanks to my wife).

Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Good for you. And your wife is doing good for 24. You don't see that type of drive from young people these days. I do love that one-77.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Dang it, I'm 42 and you guys are making me feel really old now!

Even though XJ's are not a dime-a-dozen around here in the OC, I'm jealous of you guys because I don't even get a 2nd look from the valets around here. I guess with all the Bentleys, Ferraris, etc around here, a Jag is just a poor man's car

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM

A XJ stands a better chance of getting a look in my neighborhood than a Bentley. The Continental is the "Honda of the Palm Beaches", I've seen traffic jams of them before (like 3-4 of them at the same light).

Now.. Lambos and Ferraris.. They aren't "rare", but the styling on them is so insane that they always get looks.

The last car I saw that "stopped traffic" with people looking at it? Ford GT. LOL, it takes a Ford to get people interested around here. And the Viper, that's a "rare enough to be interesting" car around here too.

Originally Posted by another_geek
Dang it, I'm 42 and you guys are making me feel really old now!

Even though XJ's are not a dime-a-dozen around here in the OC, I'm jealous of you guys because I don't even get a 2nd look from the valets around here. I guess with all the Bentleys, Ferraris, etc around here, a Jag is just a poor man's car

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ demographics