XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ R-Sport 2016 - New Tyres & Brake pads recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024 | 09:49 AM
|
Question Jaguar XJ R-Sport 2016 - New Tyres & Brake pads recommendations?

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2016 Jaguar XJ R-Sport from the main dealer at 22,000 miles. I am looking to change the brake pads and replace all four tyres. The current tyres are:
  • Front: Continental ContiSportContact 3 - 245/40 ZR 20
  • Rear: Continental ContiSportContact 3 - 275/35 ZR 20
I would like to replace them with a set of four Continental ContiSportContact 7 tyres with the same profile/ratings.
Are the likes of Kwik-Fit trustworthy for Jaguar tyre replacement, or should I take it to the main dealer to be safe?

Thank you.

Old 06-17-2024 | 10:35 AM
Veteran member

MrXJ24, welcome to the Forums. Please stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your car. We like to get to know one another and part of this is this introduction. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, comes a comradery that you will not find elsewhere.

As for your questions, those tires should do you that you are looking at. The one caution I would give as you do not state where you live is that going with sport tires may be a little tricky in rain conditions and/or cold temperatures/snow. The bigger thing is taking it to a shop that has what is called a "Road Force balancer". This is a slightly better balancer than what a lot of shops have and because this car is capable of high speeds, having that slightly better balance job is going to make a big difference. So, before booking your swap, I would ask what type of balancer they intend on using.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024 | 04:13 AM

Continental don't make the 7 in the 245/40 r20 dimension. You can get the Bridgestone potenza sport.

Old 06-19-2024 | 10:03 AM

I recently purchased a 2011 XJ base and replaced tires with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus SL tires. They were about $1150 excluding installation. Wonderful tires. Very happy with them. I have purchased a lot of Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental performance tires in the past, and these are amongst my favorites. Undoubtedly the Jaguar suspension has much to do with overall performance as well. But bottom line, I would highly recommend. I had these installed by a large chain dealer with no problems (except they forgot to give me back the locking wheel key!).

I just installed Bosch brake pads (25,000 miles) primarily because the dreaded wear indicator light was on (false alarm) but since I had the pads I went ahead and changed them anyway. The Bosch pads seem to work fine. Very few miles since changing, but so far so good.

Old 06-20-2024 | 06:40 PM
Default the BEST tires EVER!!! =)

Hey, MrXJ24! I hope you are loving your new ride. Congratulations.

I have read hundreds of very favorable reviews for Continentals, Michelins, and forth. HOWEVER, my strongest recommendation would be the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They are AMAZING, no matter how you drive! When I purchased my vehicle, the previous owner had basically just put them on there. We are talking maybe a few hundred miles. I drive a lot, so I covered about 34,000 miles on that set, and I do plenty of spirited driving, but the vast majority of the miles are me driving as smooth as silk. I never burnout and I rarely have to brake hard. I also do not have to worry about extreme weather conditions, which is a significant factor for a lot of people. In any case, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is an INCREDIBLE tire!!! Hopefully I will never be forced to purchase anything else. I am aiming for 40,000 on this new set. Already around 13,000. =)

Regarding the installation, each person has their own comfort levels, knowledge of the quality of work, and trust. My advice would be taking them to a Jaguar dealership and having them complete the installation and perform the proper alignment, which will be based on the specific tires that you ordered. No matter what, please safely have a blast behind the wheel in your exceptional vehicle!!!