XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar xj8 99y. Coolant water goes out when engine turn off. + (video) HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar xj8 99y. Coolant water goes out when engine turn off. + (video) HELP!!!!

Hello! I have problem and trying to fix it about 6 months. And no one can help me. I want to know if it possible to speak with man who knows jaguar v8 engines well. The problem is that coolant water goes out when i stop engine. until it can work all day ewerything will be ok. The temperature is normal (in video computer shows 95 celcius). But when turn off engine after 5seconds water goes out and when i take off collant bottle cork the bottle is empty. I have maked video please watch it and maybe you can tell to me what it can be from your experience?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lys2...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

You're in the wrong forum. Post up in the X308 forum, the one for your car. It sounds like you have a coolant jacket pressurizing problem. It could be a head gasket failure but who knows ? Best get it investigated by a good mechanic. If it is the HG, there is apparatus that can check for combustion products in the coolant. So you need to find a shop that knows Jaguars, although this is not essential. Hell, it's a V8, like so many engines in the USA !!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by larys192
Hello! I have problem and trying to fix it about 6 months. And no one can help me. I want to know if it possible to speak with man who knows jaguar v8 engines well. The problem is that coolant water goes out when i stop engine. until it can work all day ewerything will be ok. The temperature is normal (in video computer shows 95 celcius). But when turn off engine after 5seconds water goes out and when i take off collant bottle cork the bottle is empty. I have maked video please watch it and maybe you can tell to me what it can be from your experience?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lys2...ature=youtu.be
I believe the mechanical face seal in your water pump has failed. When your engine is running, the liquid coolant pressure at the seal is lowered due to the centrifugal action of the rotating impeller inside the water pump, which offsets the nominal cooling system pressure due to fluid expansion at normal engine operating temperatures. Once you shut the engine off however, the pressure at the seal location rises to the normal system pressure; i.e 16 PSI. Since the mechanical face seal inside the pump is no longer able to provide its normal sealing function, fluid escapes past the seal and out of the drain hole of the pump. Beware, fluid leakage can cause the drive belts to slip on the pulleys causing loss of power steering and/or power brakes. The loss of engine coolant can also cause your engine to overheat, seize-up and fail. You can prove this by simply pressurizing the cooling system without running the engine at all. You will likely need to have the water pump replaced with a newly rebuilt one..