XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Just bought an 11 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just bought an 11 XJL

Hello all,

I just bought an 11 XJL. After a few days with the good fellas over on the XF forum helping me decide on an XF SC or XFR, I went for the XJL. I'm flying out tomorrow morning to pick it up and I am excited!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:04 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGuyMD
Hello all,

I just bought an 11 XJL. After a few days with the good fellas over on the XF forum helping me decide on an XF SC or XFR, I went for the XJL. I'm flying out tomorrow morning to pick it up and I am excited!

If I am seeing correctly the front Fascia looks to be a shade off from the rest of the the front of the car it also looks like paint has been feathered in to give the illusion that the paint matches.
I know that on light color cars various panel made not totally match which is normal, the variation of color is not that noticeable on darker colors. It could be the picture but something catches my eye about the front of this car, just make certain this car has not suffered any frontal damage, a car fax might be in order.

Good luck.....

Old 11-20-2015, 02:14 PM

lol, I thought the exact same thing! It's the lighting from the light post outside (that yellow lighting) throwing shade on it. He went out and text me pictures of the entire car. 1 owner, clean carfax.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:24 PM
MHT

lol, I thought the exact same thing! It's the lighting from the light post outside (that yellow lighting) throwing shade on it. He went out and text me pictures of the entire car. 1 owner, clean carfax.
I thought maybe the lighting too. I turned my screen all kind of ways trying to see if it could be the lighting but kept seeing the same thing so I thought I would ask. I went back and took another look and now I can see the reflection on other areas of the front of the car.
I am glad to know everything is ok.

Last edited by MHT; 11-20-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the XJL...

Old 11-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

nice looking car, on some colours the plastic front bumper can look slightly different to the bonnet/metal, mine had a slight variation when brand new, you could see it in some lights but not others. I had the front bumper repainted last year due to a tiny ding and a few chips, again the mixed paint was a shade different in some light

Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

JagGuy, welcome to the group. You are going to get lots of looks in the car and have a wonderful ride. I know I do in mine. Should you ever need someone to help you out with any repairs, let me know. I am south of you in California, MD. I am sure we can take care of most of what you would want to do.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats to you JagGuy and welcome the Jaguar Nation, and this forum.

Enjoy driving as well as riding in this beautiful automobile. At some point you'll probably want to begin dressing it up and adding a few mods but you don't have to rush into it. I've had my XJL one year this week and it's like living the dream. I've begun to add some mods but I'm taking it slow because I'm a conservative old fart.

Check out this forum regularly and you will become a wiser Jaguar owner as you review the many contributions and information shared by the members of this forum.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome aboard! If you enjoy your '11 XJL one half as much as I enjoy mine you will be a happy owner. Congrats.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:48 AM

Thank you all very much! Thank you Thermo, it woud be nice to have someone to local to work on the cars with etc! I an indeed a DIY'er! My fight leaves in about 4 hours and then I'll be driving it right back.

This is what I am coming from so I hope the XJL is everything nice like I imagine!

Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

lovely pics of the Merc, very nice, a friend of mine has a 2007 CL600 in his collection of cars, also in black.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:44 AM

Just got in from driving the car back from FL. LOVE the jag! The pics suck but don't worry I'll have some with my pro camera in the next few days.

The sound system is incredible! The bass is so deep and clear.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 AM
MHT

Just got in from driving the car back from FL. LOVE the jag! The pics suck but don't worry I'll have some with my pro camera in the next few days.

The sound system is incredible! The bass is so deep and clear.

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jaguarforums.com-

vbulletin/2000x1124/80-20151121_172605_resized_7be279ce368b3c075963cbfee7 83eea6072cdc79.jpg[/IMG]

It is a nice looking car, same color as mine. I am curious to know if the leather at the driver seat bottom area has any wrinkles as if the leather is stretch.
I purchased my car new and after a few week the leather on the drivers seat bottom has several wrinkles were the leather has stretched.
I have seen this on pictures of other Jaguar XJ's. Some say it is normal but I find it strange that this is not so with the passenger seat were my wife and others have sit, nor on the rear seat.
The drivers seat bottom seems to have less padding than the other seats and sometimes wonder if this could be the reason. It is not real bad and I do not think that it will stretch any more than it has.
I may take it in and have service take a look at it. I do not know if I would want to have the seat pulled to have it corrected but we will see.
We had snow on yesterday so I took the car out to try out the AWD and it does seem to make a difference, I also gave the winter mode a try.
This is my first Jaguar and so far I am impressed and pleased with everything about the car.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 AM

JagGuy: thanks for sharing the pics--enjoy your automobile.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Here are a few better pics I just took. Time to start searching for all of the mods I can do now.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Only one other advice I'd like to offer JagGuy. As practical as possible please keep the exterior of your beautiful automobile washed. Nothing worse than to see a dirty XJL. I see a green XJL in my area but it's not kept clean. I have an advantage in that my XJL is always in the garage and not everyone maybe has that type of setup. Looking at that real nice M-B you shared w/ us I don't think having a clean XJL will be a problem for you.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

JagGuy, if you can wait a little bit or feel like being a gineau pig, I am looking to convert my lighted vents over to an RGB setup which will allow me to select any color that I want there. Part of this is going to also do a few other things on the car. But, this is still in the planning stages and not sure what all I am going to do. The headlights and something on the tail lights is almost a given at this point.

Anything else, I am sure I can help you out with. Being an electronics tech by trade and a mechanic at heart, there isn't much that I can't work on when it comes to cars.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
Only one other advice I'd like to offer JagGuy. As practical as possible please keep the exterior of your beautiful automobile washed. Nothing worse than to see a dirty XJL. I see a green XJL in my area but it's not kept clean. I have an advantage in that my XJL is always in the garage and not everyone maybe has that type of setup. Looking at that real nice M-B you shared w/ us I don't think having a clean XJL will be a problem for you.

Don't worry. I make sure my cars say clean and I don't drive them during snow/rain for the most part.

If you could see the engine bay in my S600, it's free of dust as I clean it along with the rest of the car all of the time. I have a bad habit of every time I drive it and come back I wipe the dust off with a microfiber towel, but I guess because every car I have had has been black and I'm OCD about it always shining. :-)

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
JagGuy, if you can wait a little bit or feel like being a gineau pig, I am looking to convert my lighted vents over to an RGB setup which will allow me to select any color that I want there. Part of this is going to also do a few other things on the car. But, this is still in the planning stages and not sure what all I am going to do. The headlights and something on the tail lights is almost a given at this point.

Anything else, I am sure I can help you out with. Being an electronics tech by trade and a mechanic at heart, there isn't much that I can't work on when it comes to cars.

Sounds good! I'm always ready to work on cars. I'm a self proclaimed mechanic haha. I've done everything myself on all my cars since I can remember but it's nice knowing someone else as 2 heads and sets of hands are always better. I was just outside since it's my first time having it home at night and turned the parking lights on and the LED's are not very bright like on AUDI and other cars. I assume they are supposed to be that way?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

JagGuy, depending on how far you want to dig into things, I am sure I can fix that. he he he he he. I probably have the LEDs already in my house to do what you are after. I have to agree with you that the running lights are not very bright and in my opinion do not make a very good DRL light. But, it would also need to be one of those things that I will have to find a place to park the car, get the running lights on and then walk away say 200 feet to see if they are really visible or not. The funny thing about LEDs is that sometimes they can look one way, but are in reality something completely different. I have been playing with LEDs and making my own lighting in my house. Sometimes the theory just doesn't pan out like you think it would.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 11 XJL