XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Just bought an 11 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGuyMD
Here are a few better pics I just took. Time to start searching for all of the mods I can do now.

I kind of like the removal of the Jaguar name from the trunk and it just showing on the license plate frame. I cannot see having the name on both, has I see that being a little redundant. That is why I do not have my Jaguar License Plate frame on my car, just a plain trim line black plate.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT
I kind of like the removal of the Jaguar name from the trunk and it just showing on the license plate frame. I cannot see having the name on both, has I see that being a little redundant. That is why I do not have my Jaguar License Plate frame on my car, just a plain trim line black plate.

They put that on when I bought the car. I do agree.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
JagGuy, depending on how far you want to dig into things, I am sure I can fix that. he he he he he. I probably have the LEDs already in my house to do what you are after. I have to agree with you that the running lights are not very bright and in my opinion do not make a very good DRL light. But, it would also need to be one of those things that I will have to find a place to park the car, get the running lights on and then walk away say 200 feet to see if they are really visible or not. The funny thing about LEDs is that sometimes they can look one way, but are in reality something completely different. I have been playing with LEDs and making my own lighting in my house. Sometimes the theory just doesn't pan out like you think it would.

Just let me know when you want to tackle it! If I need to buy new led's that is fine or whatever I need to pay for materials. I think I would definitely like to have the brighter DRL's. You're fairly close too so that is great!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

JagGuy, lets get passed Thanksgiving and then we will figure out how we want to handle this.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Sounds good to me. I ordered my led lights for the interior today and just tinted the windows. I'm excited about all the mods to be done. I am thinking about the video in motion but the only person I see selling it is in portgual.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't worry. I make sure my cars say clean and I don't drive them during snow/rain for the most part.

If you could see the engine bay in my S600, it's free of dust as I clean it along with the rest of the car all of the time. I have a bad habit of every time I drive it and come back I wipe the dust off with a microfiber towel, but I guess because every car I have had has been black and I'm OCD about it always shining. :-)
JagGuy: you're my type of car-guy for taking excellent care of your automobiles.
I'm glad to meet another person like myself when it comes to our automobiles.

The following users liked this post:
JagGuyMD (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Nope! I am not going to go over to the Jaguar dealership and even test drive that 2012 XJL they have! Nope! I'm not going to do it...until the beginning of 2016!

Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello all,

I just bought an 11 XJL. After a few days with the good fellas over on the XF forum helping me decide on an XF SC or XFR, I went for the XJL. I'm flying out tomorrow morning to pick it up and I am excited!

Welcome to the forum, mate! Excellent car and excellent choice of color...I am biased of course, given that I have the exact same model year and color!
I posted some pics of my baby here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1348883

Glad to know that you like keeping your car spotless. Coming from a similar situation such as you, where my previous car was Black in color, I must say that the Silver color is SOOO much easier to maintain and keep shiny.

Btw, if I may ask, what made you replace your V12 Merc with the Jag (besides the obvious answer of the Jag looking prettier! ) ?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Welcome to the forum, mate! Excellent car and excellent choice of color...I am biased of course, given that I have the exact same model year and color!
I posted some pics of my baby here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1348883

Glad to know that you like keeping your car spotless. Coming from a similar situation such as you, where my previous car was Black in color, I must say that the Silver color is SOOO much easier to maintain and keep shiny.

Btw, if I may ask, what made you replace your V12 Merc with the Jag (besides the obvious answer of the Jag looking prettier! ) ?

Thanks!

It wasn't a replacement, just an addition. I love the Jag and everything about it. This is my first silver car...all of my other ones have been black. I also bought a silver ford explorer last night for another winter run around car so I guess this makes 2 silver cars in 3 days. Definitely notice the difference but I must say, when black is clean it looks GOOD, just a lot of time keeping it that way.

I checked your car out and yes indeed, identical!

Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by nlt624
Nope! I am not going to go over to the Jaguar dealership and even test drive that 2012 XJL they have! Nope! I'm not going to do it...until the beginning of 2016!
Do it!

Old 11-26-2015, 10:33 AM

Heck, you only have a month to go. We all want you to go on over a.s.a.p. to check out the 2012. You know you're not going to get a good night's sleep until you go over to the dealership; c'mon, go on over.......

Old 11-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

How would you compare the ride and handling with the S600? My brain says the Merc is superior but my heart says Jag.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
How would you compare the ride and handling with the S600? My brain says the Merc is superior but my heart says Jag.
Honestly, I think the XJL rides just as nice as the S class. The only thing I notice in the ride is that there is a slight wind noise that the S class does not have but I listen to my music loud anyway and can't ride in silence and that is the only time you could hear it. In my opinion and my wife's, it's rides the same, if not better. She definitely like the jag more than the S class...actually she said "I like this car more than any of the others you have ever owned"...two 7 series, 2 s class, 2 range rovers...I like it the best too honestly.

I think the S class, specifically the S600 is attention grabbing and this is nice and elegant and still gets looks but it says class with out being over the top and it's different than the normal benz, bmw that you always see.

Also, I drove it to my parents for thanksgiving and even they said, they like it more than my benz.

Last edited by JagGuyMD; 11-28-2015 at 07:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagGuyMD:
retriever-007 (11-28-2015), Wolfy (11-28-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by retriever-007
Heck, you only have a month to go. We all want you to go on over a.s.a.p. to check out the 2012. You know you're not going to get a good night's sleep until you go over to the dealership; c'mon, go on over.......

I made the mistake of calling my brother to talk about it and got the "you need to put that money into your retirement account" speech. So I guess i'll stick with my 2008 XJL.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

nlt624, while I am a big one on the retirement account, I will also tell you to look at it this way: Are you on track to have the money that you think you need at the time of retirement? If you can say yes (or able to say that you are ahead of that pace) and you will not affect your future money investments, then get the car. If you are behind or getting the car will affect retirement money, then I would say to hold off. You have a nice car as it is. Sure, the newer car has its pros, but it also has its cons.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the forum - its a craker this XJ - I love it to bits.

I traded my 911 Turbo for one ( family growing ) and I do not miss it a sec - the plush ride, the sporty driving modes, and... the design. inside and out.

Its for me, by far, the most gorgeous thing on the road today since 2011.

Nothing else comes even close.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I made the mistake of calling my brother to talk about it and got the "you need to put that money into your retirement account" speech. So I guess i'll stick with my 2008 XJL.
I got a super offer on my 05 XJL but turned it down, couldn't bear to part with it. Love the old-world British luxury inside and the 25-30MPG! And the 'quartz' color seems to change shades like a beautiful but capricious woman.

But I might hop the fence in a few years when the X351 price dips below 20k. That car just looks so stunning in black!

Cheers,
Wolfy

The following users liked this post:
nlt624 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM

nlt624: your brother might have a point. I'm an old fart and already retired. However, I waited 30 years before getting my first Jaguar although I had an opportunity to buy a Jag 6 years before retiring, but I'm glad I waited.
Thermo has good advice too. Assess your financial retirement situation first. Delayed gratification can be your best friend.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your S600 is previous Facelift...i saw the headlight not LED..and u put a S63 AMG bodykit on it..not the S65 one ...saw the exhaust tip is from the 63 facelift...
i plan to buy the Jag too to add to my collection...
still looking for used 2011 SC one...

Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
is your S600 is previous Facelift...i saw the headlight not LED..and u put a S63 AMG bodykit on it..not the S65 one ...saw the exhaust tip is from the 63 facelift...
i plan to buy the Jag too to add to my collection...
still looking for used 2011 SC one...

Yes, did all the work myself. 2010 S63 and S65 kit are identical and those tips look better than the round ones did. Did the muffler delete also which made a huge improvement over the whisper quiet v12...it's something how those turbos really mute the sound.

You can see what it looked like before here and the sound from the delete:

Quick Reply: Just bought an 11 XJL