XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Just hit 40,000 miles / 2012 XJL Supersport

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 07:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just hit 40,000 miles / 2012 XJL Supersport

Could I get guidance on any major maintenance? Also, I am very interested in tuning the car to higher horsepower (510) Anyone know of a tuner in the Dallas area?

Old 07-01-2022, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

jschimmels, I am going to kinda wing this as you fall into a minority of how people drive and what you should do and what is listed in a manual should differ. Part of what is on this list is more learned problems that people have had that are being dealt with before you have that problem.

As for what should be done:

-tranny fluid change
-water pump inspection Iponder replacement if you haven't yet) along with inspection of all the plastic tubing for the cooling system and a serious consideration for replacing a lot of this plastic tubing as we are finding out that it is getting brittle with repeated heat cycles (ie, getting the car to temp then letting it cool), leading to a sudden failure. This seems to be especially true of the small tubing just behind the left headlight and because you have a supercharged engine, there is a cooling pipe that runs near the back of the engine bay that seems to fail a lot.
-inspection of suspension components and consideration for an alignment.
-drain/flush(?)/refill of coolant system
-inspection of braking system and a fluid change out
-replacement of air filters (to include the interior cabin filter in the dash and the seat filters for the cooling seats
replacement of both PCV valves in the back right corner of the engine bay (they sit on top of the valve cover back there in the corner
-cleaning of intake valves (get input from others about this)
-replacement of drive belts (serpentine and for blower)

This is what comes to my mind at the moment. There might be one or two other things that might be brought up. But ,this should be a fairly inclusive list. I forget if this supercharger is oiled via engine oil or has its own oiling system. If it is separate, I would be looking at changing that fluid also.

As for someone upgrading the power output of the car, this is going to be a hit and miss thing in your neighborhood. Ironically I would say to go to your local race track and see who those people use. That will atleast give you a few leads and then you can talk with them and see which ones would even consider touching a Jag. You may find that this is going to be the harder part. Granted, I would counter with "if you can work on a supercharged Mustang, then you can work on this Jag (showing them all the Ford symbols)". Yes, there are differences between the two motors, but most of what they are going to be working on will be the same. If the race track is not your cup of tea, then I would start finding local performance shops and doing some talking there to see how they feel and if they won't, then give them to give you the name of some other shops in the area.

Depending on how "wild" you want to go, members have found that simply replacing the pulley on the supercharger and someone tweaking the ECU, you can get up to about 620 hp. I think if you just want a small step from 470 hp to 510 hp, you can do that yourself by simply replacing the pulley on the supercharger and the ECU will adapt to the new pulley, netting you the added power that you are after.

Last edited by Thermo; 07-01-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is great advice. I can't thank you enough for the detailed list. I really appreciate it. - Jon

Old 07-03-2022, 03:21 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
jschimmels, I am going to kinda wing this as you fall into a minority of how people drive and what you should do and what is listed in a manual should differ. Part of what is on this list is more learned problems that people have had that are being dealt with before you have that problem.

As for what should be done:

-tranny fluid change
-water pump inspection Iponder replacement if you haven't yet) along with inspection of all the plastic tubing for the cooling system and a serious consideration for replacing a lot of this plastic tubing as we are finding out that it is getting brittle with repeated heat cycles (ie, getting the car to temp then letting it cool), leading to a sudden failure. This seems to be especially true of the small tubing just behind the left headlight and because you have a supercharged engine, there is a cooling pipe that runs near the back of the engine bay that seems to fail a lot.
-inspection of suspension components and consideration for an alignment.
-drain/flush(?)/refill of coolant system
-inspection of braking system and a fluid change out
-replacement of air filters (to include the interior cabin filter in the dash and the seat filters for the cooling seats
replacement of both PCV valves in the back right corner of the engine bay (they sit on top of the valve cover back there in the corner
-cleaning of intake valves (get input from others about this)
-replacement of drive belts (serpentine and for blower)

This is what comes to my mind at the moment. There might be one or two other things that might be brought up. But ,this should be a fairly inclusive list. I forget if this supercharger is oiled via engine oil or has its own oiling system. If it is separate, I would be looking at changing that fluid also.

As for someone upgrading the power output of the car, this is going to be a hit and miss thing in your neighborhood. Ironically I would say to go to your local race track and see who those people use. That will atleast give you a few leads and then you can talk with them and see which ones would even consider touching a Jag. You may find that this is going to be the harder part. Granted, I would counter with "if you can work on a supercharged Mustang, then you can work on this Jag (showing them all the Ford symbols)". Yes, there are differences between the two motors, but most of what they are going to be working on will be the same. If the race track is not your cup of tea, then I would start finding local performance shops and doing some talking there to see how they feel and if they won't, then give them to give you the name of some other shops in the area.

Depending on how "wild" you want to go, members have found that simply replacing the pulley on the supercharger and someone tweaking the ECU, you can get up to about 620 hp. I think if you just want a small step from 470 hp to 510 hp, you can do that yourself by simply replacing the pulley on the supercharger and the ECU will adapt to the new pulley, netting you the added power that you are after.
We do ecu tuning , And I can tell you that a pulley without a tune will gain minimal 0-10hp as stock ecu engine management will keep the power stock. It's wiser to spend the same money or less on ECU tune and power can be tweeked up by whatever amount you prefer and done without over spinning the pulley unnecessarily .
On my personal 13 xj I am at near 620hp with stock pulley and no mods other then bigger sc pump

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 07-09-2022, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,318 Likes on 3,464 Posts

An aftermarket fix is now available for the failure-prone OEM plastic cooling system pipes that Thermo mentioned. I ordered these aluminum replacements from Ebay but haven't received them yet. Even though my OEM plastic pipes are still OK, I'm going replace them to avoid problems.

The vendor I bought them from is now out of stock, but there are other sellers on Ebay.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,394 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Hey that looks great!
No times or numbers for the 1/4 mile run?

Old 07-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hey that looks great!
No times or numbers for the 1/4 mile run?
We only have 1/8th mi open around here because covid closed the other tracks . It's a high DA track but car still hit 7.8 in 1/8th , should be in the 11s in 1/4.

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph