XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Key fob not detected

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob not detected

I have a 2011 Jaguar XJL. In my digital cluster it says key fob not detected. I have put two new batteries into the fob and still no luck. I disconnected the main battery for 15 minutes reconnected and everything was fine for the next couple of hours then it was right back to the same thing. No buttons on the fob work neither dose the proximity entry or push to start. Battery in the vehicle test perfect so I can’t figure out what my problem my be. Considering
maybe a bad key fob or body control module.

Any advice I’d much appreciated.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Received 592 Likes on 367 Posts

If I were to offer any advice to a newcomer or new owner to a 'modern' jaguar it would be to invest in a code reader and a decent quality one. You could also consider building an SDD (Jaguar diagnostics) system but that has its own challenges.

As far as faults on these cars go any diagnosis without a code reader is simply guesswork, you can't simply load the parts cannon and think you will get lucky the chances are you won't. There are so many interdependent systems that a code reader is the only way you will get in the ball park and even then it can be a struggle as one fault can trigger many others and getting to the root is not so easy.

Replacing a key fob is an equally challenging process - you did put the battery in the correct way up ?

Old 12-22-2022, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,392 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Do you have more than one key/FOB?

At this late date the FOB is probably worn out and I would get two new ones. Yes you can repair the buttons and I have done that but in the end new FOB's are pretty cheap. The real issue is getting them programmed to the car.

You have an older car so there are two styles of FOB and I think you can use either one. You will find OEM FOB's (Expensive!) and non-factory FOB's (Less expensive). Take a look at EBay and you will see plenty.

The FOB opens the doors and trunk. The transponder starts the car and is inside the FOB.
I don't think the 2011 model has a remote start button on the FOB either? Or do you mean the dash starter button?

Listen to Ben above and please do some reading so you understand what's involved. Yes you may have more problems besides the FOB's/Transponder.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=BenKenobi;2597118] This XJL is new to me but I’m not new to Jaguars. I’ve had multiple other older Jaguars and Range Rovers. But none with the push to start. I have a basic cheep code reader but it isn’t pulling up any stored codes. I can get my hands on a snap on OBD reader just haven’t had the time to set down with it yet. But yes the battery is on the key right it worked completely fine after disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours then right back to the same thing.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Do you have more than one key/FOB?

At this late date the FOB is probably worn out and I would get two new ones. Yes you can repair the buttons and I have done that but in the end new FOB's are pretty cheap. The real issue is getting them programmed to the car.

You have an older car so there are two styles of FOB and I think you can use either one. You will find OEM FOB's (Expensive!) and non-factory FOB's (Less expensive). Take a look at EBay and you will see plenty.

The FOB opens the doors and trunk. The transponder starts the car and is inside the FOB.
I don't think the 2011 model has a remote start button on the FOB either? Or do you mean the dash starter button?

Listen to Ben above and please do some reading so you understand what's involved. Yes you may have more problems besides the FOB's/Transponder.
I don’t when I bought the car it only came with one beat up key. I called Jaguar and got quoted for a new key they said they needed at least two keys to program to the car. So if my original fob was bad I have to buy two keys at 376 dollar as piece not including programming. I don’t really wanna bite that bullet yet. That’s why I came here to get some suggestions first. But I will look into some of the aftermarket fobs. Thank you

Old 12-22-2022, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

This is a major problem with people buying used Jaguar's. Please DO NOT operate with just one key. This will turn out badly and will be very expensive!
Read about the problems with only having one key. Now the good news is the dealer did not turn you away...yet!

We are getting reports that dealers will not work on cars 10 or more years old. At least they did indicate that they could provide keys and programming. So you do have a back up plan if needed.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

When I bought my XJ it came with only one smart key. I went to carandtruckremotes.com and bought a new original smart key from them. There were no problems when I took it to the dealer to be programmed. As of this morning, they have only a few original XJ smart keys remaining at a very reasonable price. They also sell aftermarket smart keys, but I can’t speak to their quality.

Vince

Old 12-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Vince thanks for reporting back and for your good outcome! Can you post how much the new key was? They vary all over in price.
Good job! Any chance you could post the dealer in case others need to get more keys?

Old 12-25-2022, 04:18 PM

clubairth, are you ready for this? The original key fobs for our XJs cost only $79.95 at carandtruckremotes.com. They have only 7 remaining as of this evening.

Vince

Old 12-26-2022, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you VERY much for that!
Surprisingly reasonable price too since they do say Jaguar on them.

It's just so important to have two FOBS I hope people get a second one BEFORE things happen.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:42 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

I was able to program (add) a new key using SDD a few years ago.
As common w/ 2nd hand car purchases with expensive keys, only 1 key (and beat-up at that) was given to us, but I bought a new replacement, & the SDD tool/process went pretty easily.
Since I've also added new key(s) to my Range Rovers (without SDD for Land Rover RRs) I don't recall if the SDD had me delete existing keys & program both keys at once, including re-mating the existing key, but it seems that that's what I had to do.
If you have some pirated SDD download or subscribe to JLRs SDD (for a day/week/month, whatever period you choose), well worth the price to add a key & do other diagnostics.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes it's a bit scary with only one key! SDD requires you to erase ALL keys if you currently only have one operational FOB. Then you start over adding keys and following the on screen prompts from SDD. Now this has to happen somewhat quickly and in a certain order. So have all keys sitting next to you and I put a piece of tape or something to identify them because you will be cycling FOB buttons and the cars power on and off as they get programmed one by one. You DON'T want to get them mixed up.
ANY problems at this point will leave you with a "bricked" car! No valid keys and the car can't be started.

But don't panic as this has happened to me. Take a deep breath and start the SDD process over again starting with a new session. I was able to get them all done in the end too.

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-26-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:30 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Yes it's a bit scary with only one key! SDD requires you to erase ALL keys if you currently only have one operational FOB. Then you start over adding keys and following the on screen prompts from SDD. Now this has to happen somewhat quickly and in a certain order. So have all keys sitting next to you and I put a piece of tape or something to identify them because you will be cycling FOB buttons and the cars power on and off as they get programmed one by one. You DON'T want to get them mixed up.
ANY problems at this point will leave you with a "bricked" car! No valid keys and the car can't be started.

But don't panic as this has happened to me. Take a deep breath and start the SDD process over again starting with a new session. I was able to get them all done in the end too.
Yes, I recall the timid anticipation of not being sure it would work when I did it. But after going through the step-by-step, it turned in to a "that was easy!".
I think I actually re-did it a time or two after completing it the first time.
The one take-away I kept from it was that it isn't that complicated, risky or unforgiving as I thought it would be.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:46 PM

Thank you VERY much for that!
Surprisingly reasonable price too since they do say Jaguar on them.

It's just so important to have two FOBS I hope people get a second one BEFORE things happen.
And it's important to note that mine came in original Jaguar packaging! The Jaguar dealer who programmed the fobs seemed satisfied that it was authentic.

Vince