XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Keys locking in car - watch out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Keys locking in car - watch out.

Yet another peccadillo you will surely enjoy when it happens to you.
1) Put keys, cell phone, etc. in shopping bag.
2) Grabbed a venti coffe at starbucks.
3) Back to car, opened trunk by pushing exernal button.
4) Placed shopping bag in trunk, pushed trunk close button.
5) Voila!! I'm locked out. Trunk would not open again, doors, nothing, but I had my coffee.
6) Back to store, borrowed phone, wife came out with extra set of keys late at night and was not too happy.
7) By the way, in case you did not know..this is NOT suppose to be possible..for the trunk to shut when the keys are in the trunk. I have even done it before, and the trunk stops...but, alas, things with the new XJ have a way of eventually not operating as designed.

Thanks Jaguar. For a year of convincing me that I will never again buy another one of your products, and will discourage anyone else from doing so based on my true, emperical observations about your cars.

Anyone want this one? A year old and ONLY 6,500 miles!!! Black/black SC...you can assume the lease, only 11 payment left. Most of you don't seem to mind the roof popping and other issues it seems.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

You should keep your keys in your pocket, I spot on something that there is no key hole on my daily ride and only way to open the trunk is either by remote or external button . When you open the trunk by your remote ,only trunk is popped up not the doors , for doors you need to press doors button .

Not to dilute your thread but for number 7 designers thought very well just in case you put your keys in the trunk but things are supposed to be operated as designated namely in high end cars like new XJ

I wish you a good luck with Mercs

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1) Why would you do that?
2) Go lease a Mercedes.
3) You should never put your Grey Poupon mustard in a hot trunk.
4) Just kidding.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the same problem. I took a video, demonstrating how it worked one time, then another time, it didn't. Worse for me, my spare key was at home and my house keys were in the car. So I had to have the lock at my house drilled. Was good times.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
So I had to have the lock at my house drilled.
Better the house than the car

Anyhoooo....

Key on separate keyring, remote in pocket.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
1) Why would you do that?
2) Go lease a Mercedes.
3) You should never put your Grey Poupon mustard in a hot trunk.
4) Just kidding.
Why would you ever put your key in the trunk?!

I believe every one of PWL's 70 posts was a complaint--I, for one, am looking forward to his taking his negativism over to an AMG forum. There is no doubt there will be issues with that car too.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't we have to take responsibility for something? wow...... I also don't lease. I like to keep my cars for a long time.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Geez, I understand his frustration, but at some point I think a person has to take responsibility for their own actions. I just got done eating some crow in the XK8 forum because I shot my mouth off before thinking something through. I made amends and corrected my mistake, and went on. You can't expect someone else to always protect you from yourself. That's like saying "that gun should be designed so it won't go off if it's in my mouth!"

Just my two cents..........

The following 4 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Brutal (07-07-2011), Jffcurt (07-09-2011), JimC64 (07-10-2011), MackXJL (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What was the "etc" that you had in your shopping bag, what else was in your trunk? Something may have be interfering with the key.

Originally Posted by pwl
Yet another peccadillo you will surely enjoy when it happens to you.
1) Put keys, cell phone, etc. in shopping bag.
2) Grabbed a venti coffe at starbucks.
3) Back to car, opened trunk by pushing exernal button.
4) Placed shopping bag in trunk, pushed trunk close button.
5) Voila!! I'm locked out. Trunk would not open again, doors, nothing, but I had my coffee.
6) Back to store, borrowed phone, wife came out with extra set of keys late at night and was not too happy.
7) By the way, in case you did not know..this is NOT suppose to be possible..for the trunk to shut when the keys are in the trunk. I have even done it before, and the trunk stops...but, alas, things with the new XJ have a way of eventually not operating as designed.

Thanks Jaguar. For a year of convincing me that I will never again buy another one of your products, and will discourage anyone else from doing so based on my true, emperical observations about your cars.

Anyone want this one? A year old and ONLY 6,500 miles!!! Black/black SC...you can assume the lease, only 11 payment left. Most of you don't seem to mind the roof popping and other issues it seems.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Why do people put keys in their trunk? It doesn't matter how "smart" it is. Stick it in your pocket, I don't even put mine in a bag. I will tell you that I had a customer who lost one of their keys. It was in the trunk, in a bag. No issues with opening, or starting the car.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm waiting for pwl to complain about having to put his foot on the gas to go forward or put his foot on the brake to stop.......... I don't think his problems are going to go away with the CLS 63. I traded one in for my XJL. It may not have been the new one (which I did test drive) but wait until he has to start pressing all the buttons on that dash board to get anything done. The drive is still HEAVY and if you like a three or four second delay when you punch the gas before it reacts you'll love the AMG. MB also soaks you with their maintenance program. They want you to bring the car in after 3,000 miles to make sure everything is o.k. That will cost you. They also insist you come in every 7,500 miles which will cost you. You'll see it's not always brighter on the other side. I think I spent more money on tires for that car than anything else. Both CLS's I owned. I wonder why the Pirelli's on my XJ are a $100 cheaper than the same tires on the CLS. Maybe because the CLS were low riders (35's instead of 45's on XJ). Well those tires were worn out after 10,000 miles. Wait until you have to spend $250 a year to have your GPS upgraded because they use DVD's. I don't know about the new CLS but in mine you had to buy a separate bluetooth module for your phone - $300. The same with IPod/IPhone. They do have a cheesy jack inside the glove compartment you can plug your IPod into but you won't have any control through the car. You'll have to change songs etc. using the IPod. Also after driving in the XJ you'll feel like your in a VW bug as far as room is concerned. Believe me when I say you are downgrading.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I'm waiting for pwl to complain about having to put his foot on the gas to go forward or put his foot on the brake to stop.......... I don't think his problems are going to go away with the CLS 63. I traded one in for my XJL. It may not have been the new one (which I did test drive) but wait until he has to start pressing all the buttons on that dash board to get anything done. The drive is still HEAVY and if you like a three or four second delay when you punch the gas before it reacts you'll love the AMG. MB also soaks you with their maintenance program. They want you to bring the car in after 3,000 miles to make sure everything is o.k. That will cost you. They also insist you come in every 7,500 miles which will cost you. You'll see it's not always brighter on the other side. I think I spent more money on tires for that car than anything else. Both CLS's I owned. I wonder why the Pirelli's on my XJ are a $100 cheaper than the same tires on the CLS. Maybe because the CLS were low riders (35's instead of 45's on XJ). Well those tires were worn out after 10,000 miles. Wait until you have to spend $250 a year to have your GPS upgraded because they use DVD's. I don't know about the new CLS but in mine you had to buy a separate bluetooth module for your phone - $300. The same with IPod/IPhone. They do have a cheesy jack inside the glove compartment you can plug your IPod into but you won't have any control through the car. You'll have to change songs etc. using the IPod. Also after driving in the XJ you'll feel like your in a VW bug as far as room is concerned. Believe me when I say you are downgrading.
All this talk about radios and the XJ locks up and "pauses" inexplicably? Fancy TFT displays dissapearing? I don't use ipods so I cannot comment on that, but I do know those hookups are now in the armrest for the CLS like the XJ. I have never changed a tire as I don't have my cars more than 2-3 years, and a tire lasting only 10,000 miles says more about ones driving ability and habits I would think. Room? Where...the CLS trunk is BIGGER than the XJ trunk, believe me. You do not buy a CLS becasue you want to haul your mother-in-laws big rear around in the back seat like you can do in an XJ, but is not a VW bug, sorry.

I will say also, if you look at all my posts, you will see I do say positive things about the XJ, I am just saying the negative aspsects are unacceptable to me, thus why I will switch out. Funny I have never tried much to compare a CLS or any other car to the XJ, only pointed out I might take that one...you and others see so quick to compare, and its obvisous you haven't even driven the 2012 CLS. Anyhow, be happy in your XJ..i'm glad for you.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by jaglover922
Why do people put keys in their trunk? It doesn't matter how "smart" it is. Stick it in your pocket, I don't even put mine in a bag. I will tell you that I had a customer who lost one of their keys. It was in the trunk, in a bag. No issues with opening, or starting the car.
Sorry, have you seen the honking SIZE of that key fob!! It's a bit of a joke. I mean, at first you sort of think it's "in your face cool". But from a practical standpoint it sucks. It's almost the size of a small PC mouse. I guess that another part of the glitzy "jaguar jewelry" image. Sometimes I just cannot put this in my pocket...money clip, cell phone, and big a computer mouse, i mean, um, xj key fob.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

"the CLS trunk is BIGGER than the XJ trunk, believe me."

Well I guess that's a good reason to buy it............ Believe me when I say it's not bigger. The CLS is a great car I owned two of them but in my opinion there's no comparison. Just quit complaining so much and tell the MB dealer to rush your order. And let us know when you have it so we can start following you on the MB forums.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Well I guess that's a good reason to buy it............ Believe me when I say it's not bigger. The CLS is a great car I owned two of them but in my opinion there's no comparison. Just quit complaining so much and tell the MB dealer to rush your order. And let us know when you have it so we can start following you on the MB forums.

Well Said!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by pwl
Sorry, have you seen the honking SIZE of that key fob!! It's a bit of a joke. I mean, at first you sort of think it's "in your face cool". But from a practical standpoint it sucks. It's almost the size of a small PC mouse. I guess that another part of the glitzy "jaguar jewelry" image. Sometimes I just cannot put this in my pocket...money clip, cell phone, and big a computer mouse, i mean, um, xj key fob.
My wife's MB E550 coupe fob is only slightly smaller--just as thick but not as wide. Certainly no where near the size of a PC mouse, no matter how small. I put the fob in one pocket and my cell phone (which is larger) in the other pocket--no problem. Haven't been locked out of the car yet.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by pwl
All this talk about radios and the XJ locks up and "pauses" inexplicably? Fancy TFT displays dissapearing? I don't use ipods so I cannot comment on that, but I do know those hookups are now in the armrest for the CLS like the XJ. I have never changed a tire as I don't have my cars more than 2-3 years, and a tire lasting only 10,000 miles says more about ones driving ability and habits I would think. Room? Where...the CLS trunk is BIGGER than the XJ trunk, believe me. You do not buy a CLS becasue you want to haul your mother-in-laws big rear around in the back seat like you can do in an XJ, but is not a VW bug, sorry.

I will say also, if you look at all my posts, you will see I do say positive things about the XJ, I am just saying the negative aspsects are unacceptable to me, thus why I will switch out. Funny I have never tried much to compare a CLS or any other car to the XJ, only pointed out I might take that one...you and others see so quick to compare, and its obvisous you haven't even driven the 2012 CLS. Anyhow, be happy in your XJ..i'm glad for you.
Granted, tire wire is definitely related to how a car is driven, but any high performance car with a lot of torque is going to eat rear tires. You don't get one of these cars to drive it like grandma. I've never gotten more than about 15,000 miles out of a set of tires on a car like this, which is less than a year and a half of driving, and I used to get only 5,000 on my Maserati QP because the OEM Pirelli's were really soft and sticky. Looks like I will get close to 15,000 on the XJ, which I will be very pleased with--just the price of having fun with your car.

Comparing trunks is a waste of time--my wife's MB E550 coupe has a lot bigger trunk than the XJ and the rear seats fold down to make it like a station wagon! That was definitely not a factor in my decision to get the XJ. Now, back seat comfort, that's another issue. When I take people in the car I want them to be comfortable and comment on how roomy it is--not sit there with their knees splayed when I have my seat in a comfortable position.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
pwl

Listen all of you. Actually, trunk space IS a factor in buying a car. Would you realy want an XJ if it had only 9 cu. ft? Now, it's not the most important factor, of course, we all know that. I just commented that the CLS trunk is larger thatn the XJ, and to retort you, I can prove it by just listing the manufactuers specs on their websites:

2011 XJ: 15.2 (with spare...what a joke, does anyone have an XJ w/o a spare?)

2011 CLS: 15.9
2102 CLS: 15.3

So the CLS trunk shrank, but it is bigger than the XJ..and more usuable. I haven't seen many trunks with a "shelf" in the rear, that prevents you from lying even modestly sized luggage flat. But all in all, the XJ has a massive rear end, so you would expect a large trunk, not once smaller than a CLS, which has a small rear end. Certainly not an engineer here, but could have something to do with aluminum frames needing to be wider..which is why the doors I think are very fat. Any guesses?

So, case closed on the trunk space debate.

And for the guy who doesn't want his back seat passengers with splayed legs, I say you are a very concientious chauffer! Back seats are important to me, but I buy the car for myself, not rear passengers. To each his own. If I want to take a bunch of people out with room in the car, I will drive a GL or Range Rover perhaps. I guess I don't need a big trunk either after all.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow the trunk in the CLS is 1 cubic inch bigger.

Wait to the mob hears about this they finally have a replacement for the Lincoln town car.

Quick Reply: Keys locking in car - watch out.