XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

LED Bulb from HID

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Bulb from HID

Hi all,

To start, I’m driving a lovely 2011 XJ V8 non supercharged.
It is getting to the point where my headlight bulbs are dimming to no end. I’d be happy to replace them with HIDs but I prefer the brighter light from LED headlights and the lack of fading/dimming over time. I understand that the headlights use DS3 HID bulbs but I was curious as to if anyone has installed LED DS3 bulbs into these headlights? There are some with the integrated bulbs that include the HID conversion kit but I’d rather someone with experience with it tell me. I also noticed that the only way to change the bulb is remove the front bumper and remove the headlight (really jaguar...)? No other way to do this?

Thanks everyone

Jordan

Old 12-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I don't know about any LED alternatives but for sure you must remove the bumper to access the headlights. If you're handy, it's really not as difficult as it sounds.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tried couple of LED kits that was suppose to fit DS3 style with no luck... none of the DS3 style LED kit came w the right size block that exists behind the bulb. As the bulb is held by the "fingers" that holds the back block in the XJ, it is critical that the "box" is the same size as the OEM part... and none of the DS3 LED kits had the same size. (I bought 3 different brands and all of them were too small/narrow/weird shape)
This was 2 years ago, so maybe there's a brand w the right size now? At the end I just went w phillips 5k HID bulbs as these were a bit brighter then the stock ones.

As for the bumper removal for headlights.... yes, you have to remove the whole bumper to get to ur bulbs... it's one of those WTF moments w our XJs -____-; Like XJ8JR said, its not that hard.. but its def annoying and takes way too long to just change ur bulbs.. this is one of the reasons why I just ended up w the 5k HID bulbs... taking off the bumper 2 times was enough.

Hope this helps..

Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I never had any luck trying to do that. The problem always comes back to the headlight housing is not designed properly for LED lights. So it might look brighter but it won't work as well.

If your up to it one of our members posted a GREAT conversion thread from HID to LED using the factory updated LED headlights.
I really like it but there is cost and some wiring harness construction plus removing the bumper (Which is very simple so don't get scared about that part!)
I was able to resell my old HID headlights and recovered about 80% of the cost of the new LED lights.

Old HID Lights;

Here are the newer LED's;

Not a great set of pictures so sorry about that!