XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Light/Image Distortion on XJ glass Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light/Image Distortion on XJ glass Windscreen

Hi There

I am having issues with both the real and front windscreens on my 2010 XJ351. I bought the car recently as a demo and have issues with both rear and front windscreens... Both windows distort the light and create a fun-house mirror effect on the objects viewed through them. The rear windscreen is much worst than the front but both show the same problem. The front one create a double-vision effect at night as well. (And before you ask, no it is not my eyes). I have had mutiple people in the car and they all see what I am seeing. The problem exists in a particular band within the windscreens so as objects move in and out of the partuclar band of glass they get taller/shorter winder/narrower. I really wasn't expecting this from an original jaguar windscreen specially for an XJ vehicle!! Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

There was one more thread mentioning this but I havn't seem many people complaining about this...

I would guess and say the problem is related to inconsistencies in finish and thickness of the glass...

Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the front a heated windscreen? Those are well known to cause minor nightime optical distortion, in fact, I really don't even notice it anymore.
It sounds like your problem goes beyond that, though. Do you live in an area of extreme heat (UAE, eg)?

Old 05-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,282 Likes on 8,564 Posts

It's going into winter in Aussieland.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Was the glass previously replaced? Check to be sure it's authentic.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

Should have mentioned...I couldn't stand the heated windscreen effect at night so had it replaced with a non-heated windscreen (original jaguar) and the non-heated screen has this issue.

It is not related to the heating elements... The rear windscreen also has a similar issue.

The issue is a double-vision effect on lights at night and an elongation/shortening effect of objects during the date.

Would be great if I knew whether anyone else has similar problems on their XJ...

It would be probably best to check your rear windscreen because most likely your front windscreen would be different to mine as mine is a plain glass as opposed to the heated one.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed that the rear window flattens the view and make things appear wider. It's inevitable with these wind shield being installed at such low angle. It is extremely difficult to manufacture glass that has perfect consistency in thickness across the entire pane. The distortion is caused by the variation in the glass's thickness. The lower the angel the more noticeable the distortion.

I used to have a Lexus and I was always given a RX with a severely slanted windshield. It always gave me a headache after a while.