XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Light and tyre fail warnings. Error messages. How they work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Light and tyre fail warnings. Error messages. How they work?

Last week got failed headlight bulb and had no warning on the screen.
Is this normal for Jags? Because other cars I got, had messages even indicating the side, the bulb is broken.
Or it just has a very small range of messages. (also got oil underfilled level, but no message indications on screen).

Also how to check if my car has tire pressure sensors? Does it flash on start up (flat tire icon). As it is 2010 Portfolio, it looks like it has to be as a default. But cant see any indication for it, or that sensors are missing.

So thought maybe overall the ECU is overwritten to hide such messages.
Only low battery message keeps popping out when car is left unlocked.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think you get any headlight bulb messages - you will get TPMS messages for low tire pressure, but you can't check them in the system.

I also get a low battery message after opening the door a few times when the car isn't started. Haven't nailed down exactly what it is yet, but never had a problem starting the car after the message.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Norbertas, depending on the year car that you have, you may or may not have some of these functions. I am basing this on owning both a 12 XJ 5.0L and a 16 3.0L XJL. The 12 XJ would not tell you the tire pressures. Yet, the 16 will tell you the current tire pressures. All the 12 XJ would tell me is if a tire was low.

As for the light bulb sensors, this is not in any of the recent XJ's that I am aware of. I think Jaguar went away from it for the most part since a lot of hte lights are either HID or LED. Both would be difficult to determine if they are operating improperly due to the design of each. Can it be done. Sure. But, LEDs in general are going to out last the car, so, there is no real need to monitor them other than to tell you that you have a problem with the car and most likely and Jaguar assumes you are paying enough attention to the car to atleast notice something like that.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a good point about the life longevity of LED lights. But that's just odd.
You can just drive with broken light bulb and never know that.
Also oil level check shows, that it is underfilled. But no message pops out for that.
And i think that is essential for the car, that has no easy check dip stick, and most Jaguar drivers at that time were not aware how to check that oil level.
(of course probably at model release time, most Jag owners weren't servicing the car for themselves.

About TPMS - does any kind of identification blinks on dashboard starting the car, if you got it?

Got flat tire few times, but no message popped out. After changing winter / summer wheel sets, no TPMS reading errors and no calibration was happening.
Looks like both sets have pressure sensors on them. But those may be in different Hz, as they differ in regions. but still, if car would be equipped with that, I should get error, that sensors are missing or something.

It seams that it will be best to check if car has antennas installed. For bulb change I will have to take front bumper out, so can check if it is installed in bumpers inner part.

Thought maybe it is possible to get full specs list, of what by VIN code somewhere online. But probably its only may be given by dealer.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH! That's what those are?! My antennas must have been hanging since the tow guy smashed the front end into the ground during a lift.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The TPMS only last about 7 years and then require replacement? Maybe yours are just dead from old age? Battery powered but can't replace the batteries.

I know on my 2014 XJR I had to replace all 4. Paid around $30 on Ebay once you know what frequency you need. Then Discount Tire can check them on the bench BEFORE installation to make sure they are good. Had no problems and after a couple of miles of driving all lights went out. I know they are working as it got cold around here lately and the low tire pressure light came on and I was about 10 psi low.