XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Loaner Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner Cars

Im new to Jaguar, but certainly not new to luxury cars. It is unacceptable that Jaguar will allow its dealers to represent that they provide loaner cars for service, and then provide cars of other makes. My dealer swapped my 2012 XJL Supercharged for a base model Subaru Forrester.

And Jaguar wonders why it has an image problem. Never saw a Subaru at Maserati or BMW!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

A lot of car companies have started doing this, BMW is one of them. Last time i brought my Xf in, i got a Land Rover, so no complaints there.

Prior to bringing the car in, just request a Jaguar or Land Rover. Work around the availability of Jaguar loaner, rather than the times they offer to you for service.

Which dealership in NY?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Right! Not always good policy to allow the loaners to be cheap cars. Like in my instance when I took my XJL to the dealer a couple of weeks ago with ride complaints, they had Enterprise Rentals give me a Hyundai Sonata. Guess what? I found that its highway ride quality was superior to my XJL. I really never wanted to know that for sure, even though I suspected that a car with tall tire sidewalls would ride better.

Right now my car is at an other dealer with the same issue but, the rental company is Hertz and has given me a Jaguar XF. I never considered the XF but, now finding out what a great handling car it is. Never know, the seeds have been planted by the proper loaner car.

Albert

Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
A lot of car companies have started doing this, BMW is one of them. Last time i brought my Xf in, i got a Land Rover, so no complaints there.

Prior to bringing the car in, just request a Jaguar or Land Rover. Work around the availability of Jaguar loaner, rather than the times they offer to you for service.

Which dealership in NY?
I have no interest in working around a loaner car schedule when the dealer has one or two brand loaners. If Jaguar wants to play with the big boys, it needs to behave like one. BMW has never once offered me anything other than its most recent models as loaners, and always attempted to swap my car for a similar sized and powered car. Maserati is the same way.

Lets not forget that Jaguar stickered the XLJ SC at over $92k

Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 12XJL
I have no interest in working around a loaner car schedule when the dealer has one or two brand loaners. If Jaguar wants to play with the big boys, it needs to behave like one. BMW has never once offered me anything other than its most recent models as loaners, and always attempted to swap my car for a similar sized and powered car. Maserati is the same way.

Lets not forget that Jaguar stickered the XLJ SC at over $92k
That's fine, you don't have to work around their schedule. What you doing here? Jaguar has a complaint department.

Second, BMW does offer econoboxes from Mazdas to Nissans to Chevys. That's a fact. You must have been one of the lucky ones....

Third, you aren't fooling anybody with the $92,000 "stickered" XJL supercharged. My XF was close to $70,000 and that's not what i paid.

At last, go find me a BMW or Mercedes that offers as much as XJ supercharged under $120,000 and we will discuss whether or not Jaguar can't keep up with the "big boys".

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
Brutal (10-24-2012), Deecutts360 (02-27-2013)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

My understanding is that Jaguar itself does not compensate the dealers for loaner cars so the cost of providing this service is up to the dealer. Obviously, some dealers will choose to save money by providing lower cost cars. This is one of the factors that I personally take into account when choosing which dealer that I want to do business with. Even though I have a dealer that is only 2 miles from my house, I drive an extra 20 miles out of my way to do business with a dealer that I feel provides much better service.

The same applies to my choice of MB dealer that I do business with because the local MB dealer provides Toyota Camrys as loaners so I take my business elsewhere.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I would be interested to know what a Maserati or Aston Martin dealer offers for a loaner...

My friend took his Mercedes SL55 in for service and got a C250 loaner (made of hard steel and harder plastic!), so you were definitely lucky with the Bimmer.

I have been in my friends' Camry, Sonata and Genesis Coupe and they rode better than the 'thumpy', noisy air suspension in my car (God how I miss my old 98 XK8, smooth as silk). But for long trips on long stretches of unbroken pavement, the Jag trumps them all. Compared to the 'Big Boys', Jaguar is a small boutique company that offers a LOT of car for the money (thanks in part to depreciation!) Those of you newcomers from other marquees may not appreciate this, but Jaguar has come a long way since the Leyland/Lucas days to achieve its modern incarnation today. So I wouldn't sweat the small stuff (compact interior, small cup holder, cheap loaner car, etc.) I chalk it all up as British idiosyncrasies and just enjoy the ride :-)

Cheers,
Wolfy

The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfy:
Brutal (10-24-2012), Deecutts360 (02-27-2013), LiquidIce (10-31-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I would be interested to know what a Maserati or Aston Martin dealer offers for a loaner...

My friend took his Mercedes SL55 in for service and got a C250 loaner (made of hard steel and harder plastic!), so you were definitely lucky with the Bimmer.

I have been in my friends' Camry, Sonata and Genesis Coupe and they rode better than the 'thumpy', noisy air suspension in my car (God how I miss my old 98 XK8, smooth as silk). But for long trips on long stretches of unbroken pavement, the Jag trumps them all. Compared to the 'Big Boys', Jaguar is a small boutique company that offers a LOT of car for the money (thanks in part to depreciation!) Those of you newcomers from other marquees may not appreciate this, but Jaguar has come a long way since the Leyland/Lucas days to achieve its modern incarnation today. So I wouldn't sweat the small stuff (compact interior, small cup holder, cheap loaner car, etc.) I chalk it all up as British idiosyncrasies and just enjoy the ride :-)

Cheers,
Wolfy

I own a Maserati and I'm speaking from experience. The only loaner cars are Quatroportes.

With regard to BMW, it isn't just me. The dealer I've been to has 60 service bays and more than 100 loaners-- all BMWs.

I find it surprising that some on this forum are so offended that I'd suggest that a premium/luxury car manufacturer would provide loaners from its own brand or encourage dealers to do so as we'll. It's marketing and customer service, plain and simple. The experience helps sell the brand.

Regardless of what one may have paid for his particular Jaguar, the fact that it is priced in the premium/luxury segment. If they wanted to compete with Mazda and Chevy, they'd price the cars accordingly.

I know there is a complaint department for Jaguar. This is a public forum for enthusiasts to share experiences and insights. In my view, I think owners should expect more from a car company they are so passionate about. At the end of the day when perception and aspiration of the brand is matched by the reality of the brand, Jaguar will have arrived.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Why does the type of loaner car provided to you matter? Is it your ego? It is a loaner car. Do you feel that you can't be seen in another car, or is it just the high opinion you have of yourself. The car isn't what makes a person. They are courtesy cars provided by the dealer at their expense. I think you should be thankful they provide you with transportation.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 12XJL

I know there is a complaint department for Jaguar. This is a public forum for enthusiasts to share experiences and insights. In my view, I think owners should expect more from a car company they are so passionate about. At the end of the day when perception and aspiration of the brand is matched by the reality of the brand, Jaguar will have arrived.
As i mentioned above, unfortunatley a lot of the luxury brands do it as well, like Mercedes and BMW. I am not happy with that kind of service at all. Keep visiting the dealer you have been, because it's a good one.

I am 100% with you. They shouldn't be providing cheap loaner cars. I paid the money i did to put my *** on a fine British/Italian leather in the Jaguar. And, i did it to have the luxury 365 days out of the year.

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Why does the type of loaner car provided to you matter? Is it your ego? It is a loaner car. Do you feel that you can't be seen in another car, or is it just the high opinion you have of yourself. The car isn't what makes a person. They are courtesy cars provided by the dealer at their expense. I think you should be thankful they provide you with transportation.
Actually, a car is a extension of one's personality and nobody can hide that. And, there is nothing wrong with having standards.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

BMW, MB and Audi along with others have a loaner program. They put their lower end models into the loaner service and take them out when they reach 5k mi (programs vary from brand to brand). Upon retiring from loaner program, these cars are advertised as price loss leaders ($289+tax on a 3 series) to drive foot traffic. We have a bimmer in the family (as well as a beemer). The dealership that services my car sell an average of 300 units monthly. They do offer 3 series loaners, but if I want one, I need to make a reservation ahead of time. Otherwise it is dependant on availability. If they are out of loaners, then it's whatever Enterprise has on the lot (usually an economy box). Perhaps Jaguar does not offer such a generous loaner program to its dealers as BMW or MB. Jaguar does have a demo program but its mainly for test drives and for use by upper management.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've always had an XF loaner...... However I had to ask for it when I called for a service appointment.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Our sister store is a bmw store, does 20x the volume we do. Of course bmw's are like belly buttons around here and jags are not. They also charge $200 for an oil change. Want a jaguar base xj that starts over a 100k, instead $80? Then im sure jaguar could up its expense for warranty loaners to the dealers. Jaguar bases your loaner dollars for the whole yr based on the number of cars you sell. You use up all your loaner car dollars by april, then it comes right out of dealers bottom line the rest of the yr. You run your personal finances like that and youll be in bankruptcy court in no time. I hope jaguar never sells on the volume that bmw or benz does. Then they loose the mystic and pride of ownersship they have. My oldest daughter went to napa valley on summer vacation last yr and said "my god dad everyone drives a lambo, mazerati, or some other high end car, theyre a dime a dozen there"
and i can tell you that if you do work with your dealers on appoints if it not a emergency repair, they many times while be able to reserve a jag for you. It just depends on the number of jag loaners they have and if they out with others. Oh and the dollars that the dealers pay to the rental companies onsite is $40 and up depending on the car, theyre not free to the dealer and service advisor get Bitched at all the time if the loaner dollars are too high. imagine sending someone off in a loaner that youll pay more for than youll make on the repair bill!!! Again if your a SMART business person you know you cant make this a rule, only an exception
I can expect and demand that i dont hit the ground if i jump off a building, doesn't meen i wont

Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i believe it really depends on the dealership and not the brand.

ive been do dealerships that gave me X-type loaners (bigger dealership)....and ive been to dealerships that didnt have loaners but had a deal with enterprise (smaller dealership)

the fact of the matter is some of the smaller dealerships dont have that many customers to be able to afford keeping loaners on hand. some dealerships are part of a family of brands....so they can mix and match. example: one Jag dealership in NY is part of a whole Ford brand empire....so needless to say i got a ford loaner.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

I bought mine through Momentum Jaguar/Ranger Rover in Houston. It's been in the shop once for rim repair/sunroof cover issues and I received an XF. This past week I had a major leak in front washer fluid holder and needed another rim repair and I received a Land Rover. It was a base POS, but I really didn't care.

My wife has 2012 CLS500 and her dealership uses Hertz, she never receives another MB.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had it up with the Indianapolis dealership over this exactly. Provided Nissan's (not my biggest gripe) for a max of four days. I also had it out with Jag central customer service on a long list of crap, but was told the dealerships are franchised and all operate on their own standards. No worries. I just sold one of the Jags and haven't decided if I will keep the other one longer term or not. Not a good experience with either customer service or the dealership. But the cars are beautiful and the interior is tops.

Jag definitely lost my loyalty over the range of issues.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by icarus77
I had it up with the Indianapolis dealership over this exactly. Provided Nissan's (not my biggest gripe) for a max of four days. I also had it out with Jag central customer service on a long list of crap, but was told the dealerships are franchised and all operate on their own standards. No worries. I just sold one of the Jags and haven't decided if I will keep the other one longer term or not. Not a good experience with either customer service or the dealership. But the cars are beautiful and the interior is tops.

Jag definitely lost my loyalty over the range of issues.
Icarus, i'm very sorry to hear about your experience with Jag NA and the local dealer. While its true that the dealers are franchised, they are responsible to the factory for keeping up the image of the brand. Hence, many of the dealers live and die by the CSI monies. They must maintain low to mid 90s percent in CSI both in service and sales. Dealing with Jag NA is similar to dealing with any large corporation, i.e. they may or may not try to help you. Quite often I am amazed how much large corporations spend on attracting customers to their camp, but then are not willing to spend an extra 1 dollar to help retain that same customer.

I'm not sure how many Jaguar dealers there are in your area. In Southern California there is a very decent selection and they all battle for that precious Jaguar customer. If you are still in the game to keep a Jag, draw your dealer's attention to the issue. Something from a sit down with the GM or the Principal (owner) to airing your gripes with the dealer on Yelp, Yahoo or other social media including facebook, to posting an editorial in your newspaper (this approach seems to have more effect than the social media but could be much more effective when combining the two). You can send the copy of the editorial print to a higher up in Jaguar NA. Its a bit of elbow grease but perhaps will help to keep you in a Jag. All the best!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I just took my XJ in for rear brake pads (at 26,000 miles) and I got an Enterprise econobox loaner. I usually get an XF, but this was a last minute appointment (the brake wear indicator light had just come on). My service advisor apologized for having to put me in an Enterprise car since their Jaguar loaners were all out, but I was just happy for the convenience of having a loaner for the day. The best news was that the brake job was 100% covered by the great warranty we have on these cars. Keeping this in mind and the great initial price point of the car makes the loaner car issue seem pretty insignificant IMHO.

Whenever my wife took her MB E550 Coupe in for service (before she got the XKR) she always got a C series loaner--not much better than an Enterprise econobox if image is your concern.

And by the way, when I owned a Maserati QP before the XJ, I was never offered a loaner car from the local Ferrari/Maserati dealer (the only one in Houston that you must deal with for warranty work) for one or two day repairs. When they had to keep the car for a month to repair something wrong with one of the camshafts, they finally relented to give me a loaner after a couple of weeks and got it from Enterprise because they had no loaner fleet of their own.

Last edited by HouTexJag; 11-23-2012 at 12:50 PM.