XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Locking Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locking Car

I’ve read somewhere that one should fully lock up the car, even when garaged, as that puts the least drain on the battery for items that might stay in the standby mode. My question is whether the double push of the door handle button is the same as the lock button on the keyfob? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

I'm pretty sure that US market X351 XJs do not have the double-locking feature in European models. If you press the door handle button or SmartKey lock button twice and the car's sounder beeps at you, that's an error tone and not a confirmation that it's double locked.

And yes, you should always lock your XJ, even when parked in your garage, as doing so shuts off convenience mode and minimizes the drain on your battery. Also, never leave your SmartKey in the car as doing so will keep convenience mode on and drain the battery. And keep the key at least 15 feet away from the car so it doesn't activate convenience mode.

Because I'm retired and no longer commute to work daily, I always keep my XJ plugged into my CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer when it's parked in my garage. That keeps the batteries fully charged and will extend their lives. I alternate between hooking up the primary battery and the small stop-start battery.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah im not sure our cars have the double push thing either, ive never tried that, but yes pressing the lock button on the handle is the same as the lock on the fob. i pretty much exclusively use the handle to lock mine in my garage and since then stopped getting the occasional low battery warning. I dont keep my fob more than 15 away from the car, that would be difficult for me, but either way it seems to accomplish the task.

that being said i drive the car daily, so your situation might be different.

The following users liked this post:
DonJ (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:06 PM

I did recheck and realized, as you said, it only takes one push to do a hard lock on the car. I did come across one other issue, in that when I lock the car by pushing the door handle button and then later open the car up by pulling the handle, the mirrors sometimes don’t open up. They stay in the closed position. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again for everyone’s help. Cheers!

Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

That sounds weird in that i have the opposite sometimes. I will hit lock, either on the fob or the handle, and the mirrors just wont turn in. a few random button pushes and door openings and everything is back to normal. i chocked it up to a combination of my remote start and it just being British.

Once you fire up the car, do the mirrors then rotate out?

Old 03-26-2019, 03:23 PM

I was at the dealership today and mentioned it to the service folks. They ‘sluffed’ it off as a potential programming issue and said if it gets worse, then bring it in. If it happens again, I’ll check out starting the engine to see what happens.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

I'm not a tech, but logic dictates that there's one switch and circuit for the door lock and another for the mirrors. Since the doors open first, and then the mirrors unfold, maybe you need to pull the door handle a bit harder to make sure you're making good contact with the second switch for the mirrors. It's worth a try. Let us know if that makes any difference.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.