XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Looking for input on a 2011 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for input on a 2011 XJ

Hello we are looking at a 2011 XJ Porcelain / London Tan / Navy.

Its has .....

- Under 40k Miles
- Premium Package
- Panorama Dual Sunroof
- Rear HVAC Controls with Rear Seat AC / Heat

Car Fax is clean and has lots of info, but I am wondering about these items

- AT 10K - 15,000 mile service performed
- Drivability/performance checked
- Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
- Fuel injection system flushed/serviced
- Sunroof motor replaced
- At 22k - Water pump replaced
- At 27k - Coolant bypass pipe/hose replaced
- At 32K - 45,000 mile service performed
- Coolant bypass pipe/hose replaced
- Drive belt(s) replaced
- Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
- AT 33K - Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced

Any input on would be helpful

Thanks guys

Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

ive seen quite a few instances where the water pump was replaced. I never had issues with mine. doesnt sound like a big deal. hose replacement is also nothing of concern.

the engine module replacement doesnt sound too concerning to me either, but its also kinda vague. Does the car come with any remaining warranty? or CPO? even if it doesnt i think you'll be ok

Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
ive seen quite a few instances where the water pump was replaced. I never had issues with mine. doesnt sound like a big deal. hose replacement is also nothing of concern.

the engine module replacement doesnt sound too concerning to me either, but its also kinda vague. Does the car come with any remaining warranty? or CPO? even if it doesnt i think you'll be ok

Thanks for the reply

From what I have read on here the Water Pump and Sun Roof repairs are normal issues.

No it does not come with any warranty, but I'm a DIY guy so not real worried about that.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

15k service is the same as the 1 year service. So given it has only done 40k miles in 5 years that's to be expected.
Water pump is a very well known issue - on all the jags and land rovers. May well happen a second time but a relatively easy replacement. Apparently newer replacement ones are better...

Lots of plastic hose connectors in coolant system so no surprises there. Strange that coolant hoses were replaced twice - have them do a pressure test of the cooling system to be sure no further issues there. Rest seems pretty reasonable too. Nothing unexpected

Check the obvious - tyres, pads and rotors. They add up if you need to replace them and they go quickly.

If no warranty then have a professional vehicle check by someone with some jag experience

Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 PM

BritCars thanks for the reply, I am having a PPI done tomorrow by The Jaguar Doctor in Winter Park, FL, I will make sure they do a test on the cooling system.

The Front brake pads / rotor(s) replaced at 19K - Rear brake pads / rotor(s) replaced at 22K so it might be about time again ?

Old 09-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The 5.0L non-supercharged engine has a very poorly designed coolant crossover pipe. Basically two hard plastic pieces bonded together. This is where the problem is. The seam eventually splits and coolant goes all over the engine bay. When the coolant warning light goes on, it is important to pull over asap and shut the engine off, or you will destroy the engine. The 5.0L supercharged engine uses a completely different pipe and it is not bonded together, thus a much better design. My concern would be that this pipe was replaced twice, along with a water pump. You have no way of knowing if the previous owners continued driving or pulled over and shut the engine off. Just make sure that your inspection includes looking for overheating issues. If you take it to a Jaguar dealer for an inspection, they might be able to look into the cars computer and see how far/long they drove with the coolant warning light on.

It is a good time to buy a used XJ X351. The dealers are having a hard time moving them and trade in value is very poor. My dealer wasn't interested in my 2011 trade in and offered me $13,000.00. CarMax offered me $16,000.00. This is a car with 80K & a Jaguar CPO warranty good for another 5 months/ 20K miles. No accidents, clean CarfFax and nice condition. I was hoping for $24,000.00.... didn't happen.

I think you have a lot of haggling room with your seller, so take advantage of it.

My wife loves her car but she wants an X-Pace. I think she will regret it if she makes the swap. The X351 is a much nicer vehicle.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

KarlC, I assume you are aware of the possibility of "roof popping". A 2011 is right in the middle of this particular issue on these cars.

This fault affected early cars, even some not so early, and was a PITA to get fixed because the first fix Jaguar attempted didn't work ! Eventually it was fixed, but a 2011 like yours may not have been. It reveals itself when the body shell is put under some stress like on bumpy roads. Some people put up with it and don't consider it a big deal, whilst with others it drives them to distraction.

If a Jaguar dealer claims "no knowledge" he is being disingenuous at best, mendacious at worst.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
KarlC, I assume you are aware of the possibility of "roof popping". A 2011 is right in the middle of this particular issue on these cars.

This fault affected early cars, even some not so early, and was a PITA to get fixed because the first fix Jaguar attempted didn't work ! Eventually it was fixed, but a 2011 like yours may not have been. It reveals itself when the body shell is put under some stress like on bumpy roads. Some people put up with it and don't consider it a big deal, whilst with others it drives them to distraction.

If a Jaguar dealer claims "no knowledge" he is being disingenuous at best, mendacious at worst.
What if the current fix ?

Thx for your input

Old 09-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Polyesterpig,

That is unnerving. I recently sold my X358 white 2008 VDP with 54K miles for $20,500 outright (CarMax was offering $16,000) after owning it for 5 years; origional MSRP was $81,500, I bought it for $32,000. $2,300 per year in depreciation is fantastic, and only had to do water pump, thermostat, rear brake pads, and coolant overflow tank all just costing about $500.00 that I did myself.

Now comparing to the new style XJ X351 2011 offering only $13K or $16K is shocking, is there much less interest in the new style XJ. A 2011 is 3 years newer, albeit yours had more miles. Mine had no remaining warranty. I would hate to calculate your loss if sold. Yet I see all dealers listing 2011 for around $25K+. Amazing how they try to over gouge the buyer. What happen to the days of turning volume and thus only trying to make $3K profit on a car.

Yet dealers are all asking high prices. I am looking at a very clean 2013 fully loaded 3.8 AWD with under 30K miles with illumination package, rear seat comfort package, adaptive cruise control, loaded for $44K Is this a good deal?? What do you think the dealer got this for? Will the price drop like a rock in two years??

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 09-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlC
BritCars thanks for the reply, I am having a PPI done tomorrow by The Jaguar Doctor in Winter Park, FL, I will make sure they do a test on the cooling system.

The Front brake pads / rotor(s) replaced at 19K - Rear brake pads / rotor(s) replaced at 22K so it might be about time again ?

Yes - unless they have been replaced again since then I would expect it needs pads (and they usually do rotors at the same time). Have them do it or negotiate hard on the price.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlC
What if the current fix ?

Thx for your input

Unfortunately, I don't know what the fix was, but the issue went away around 2012/13. I assume Jaguar fixed current production but previous production would only get fixed if owners complained. I gather this issue is not unknown with other makes of car, and there is some unguent or goo that is available to quieten down the noise. Don't know the name, although I believe it's German.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
I recently sold my X358 white 2008 VDP with 54K miles for $20,500 outright (CarMax was offering $16,000) after owning it for 5 years; origional MSRP was $81,500, I bought it for $32,000...

I am looking at a very clean 2013 fully loaded 3.8 AWD with under 30K miles with illumination package, rear seat comfort package, adaptive cruise control, loaded for $44K Is this a good deal?? What do you think the dealer got this for? Will the price drop like a rock in two years??
Yes used Jags are the best value for car shoppers. I paid $13k for my '05 XJ8L four years ago and now it's worth about $7000 (less than my wife's Civic!)

$44k is fair price for a 2013 XJ Portfolio, or a 2011 XJ Supersport!

Dealers everywhere are trying to move the large sedans to make room for compacts and crossovers. I'm not willing to take low-ball offers on my large sedan so may just keep it forever