XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Looking to pick up a 2014 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to pick up a 2014 XJ

Hey Guys,
Im new to the forum here and coming from an Audi S4. Im 30 and sell real estate and am one of the top agents in my city. I am bored with my S4 and are looking for something new. I really want something more mid sized like an a6, e-series, or xf. But am really not very excited about any of them. I don't mind the new xf but after sitting in one I just couldn't get excited about it. I sat an in XJ and fell in love with the interior. I drive a lot so interior is very important to me. My concern is that the 2014 I'm looking at is an XJL and sure seems like a standard XJ is very hard to come by and I feel like the XJL is way to big. Honestly, while driving it, I didn't notice the size nearly as much and love how it stands out. Up in Canada S-Class and 7 series are way more popular.

Im having a hard time with the shear size of the car and also am a little worried that my clients will think Im an *** hole pulling up in this giant Jaguar LOL.

Also, anybody have any experience with the new infotainment system vs. the old one.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

When I bought my X350 series car, a 3 litre V6, and the previous model, it seemed much larger than my previous Jaguar, a 1980 XJ saloon. It was only when I went to a Jaguar enthusiasts rally here in England and saw the two cars side by side that I really realised how much bigger my new purchase was. And remember this is England with narrow country roads all over the place, and rather small parking bays !

However, over the next few weeks I got used to the increased size, and I think you will be OK especially as the roads are wider in the New World. After all, how do people manage with those massive pickups and 4WD SUVs ?

I must say, though, that the current long wheel base XJ is a very large car ! If I ever decided to go to the newer car, I would personally buy the standard wheelbase car.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm an old retired codger and have owned all sizes of vehicles, including a horse, as you will note in my current/past vehicles.
Look, people are going to make judgments regardless of the car you drive and in this case, if you get the XJL more people may be jealous/envious of your new Jaguar than thinking you are an ***-hole. I've received more compliments from people after getting my automobile. I have found owning a Jaguar is a desire possibly many many people would have but for some reason never achieve this dream. As far as driving this automobile, it does not take long to become accustomed to its size. When backing up just make sure all sides are checked and then look into the screen to make sure nothing is directly behind you. And, when pulling into a parking space make sure your front radar is on so that you don't hit a curb or parking sign. Now, you're good to go--enjoy that XJL--I favor the LWB instead of the SWB but that's my personal preference and it may not be yours.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

The XJL is a big car, actually longer than a Cadillac Escalade SUV. So its not a car that you make a "U" turn in without thinking twice, and parking lot maneuvers are a bit more difficult as is parallel parking compared to smaller vehicles.

However, the rear view monitor is excellent, especially in low light conditions, as is the automatic tilt down rear view on the passenger side, plus the front/rear and side radar warnings on the monitor screen, all of which are a great help in negotiating close quarters.

Regarding your clients, I would think they would enjoy being transported in a car which provides luxurious and tasteful surroundings, ample leg room, rear sunroof and other amenities. I would also think that clients that can afford nicer homes would appreciate an agent who has excellent taste, and who is successful because he knows the market and provides his clients with superior value properties.

Even though you're relatively young, you're choosing a Jaguar XJL reflects good taste and maturity beyond your age. Never be ashamed of success as long as your personal demeanor is confident but not overbearing.

As long as it fit in your garage I see no reason you shouldn't own a XJL. Because of its all-aluminum body it provides the spirited performance of a smaller yet heavier steel bodied car.

As far as the "infotainment" system is concerned, I don't think the in-dash factory installed GPS system in any car measures up to a Garmin GPS, and therefore I have a large screen Garmin setting atop my XJL dashboard where any GPS should be located (near the line of sight looking at conditions ahead).

Anybody that uses a cell phone while driving is an ignoramus.

The standard sound system in my '11 XJL is phenomenal, and I don't understand how any "upgrade" system could provide superior sound at any volume levels that wouldn't impair your hearing.

Go for it!

The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
JimC64 (01-04-2016), retriever-007 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
The XJL is a big car, actually longer than a Cadillac Escalade SUV. So its not a car that you make a "U" turn in without thinking twice, and parking lot maneuvers are a bit more difficult as is parallel parking compared to smaller vehicles.

However, the rear view monitor is excellent, especially in low light conditions, as is the automatic tilt down rear view on the passenger side, plus the front/rear and side radar warnings on the monitor screen, all of which are a great help in negotiating close quarters.

Regarding your clients, I would think they would enjoy being transported in a car which provides luxurious and tasteful surroundings, ample leg room, rear sunroof and other amenities. I would also think that clients that can afford nicer homes would appreciate an agent who has excellent taste, and who is successful because he knows the market and provides his clients with superior value properties.

Even though you're relatively young, you're choosing a Jaguar XJL reflects good taste and maturity beyond your age. Never be ashamed of success as long as your personal demeanor is confident but not overbearing.

As long as it fit in your garage I see no reason you shouldn't own a XJL. Because of its all-aluminum body it provides the spirited performance of a smaller yet heavier steel bodied car.

As far as the "infotainment" system is concerned, I don't think the in-dash factory installed GPS system in any car measures up to a Garmin GPS, and therefore I have a large screen Garmin setting atop my XJL dashboard where any GPS should be located (near the line of sight looking at conditions ahead).

Anybody that uses a cell phone while driving is an ignoramus.

The standard sound system in my '11 XJL is phenomenal, and I don't understand how any "upgrade" system could provide superior sound at any volume levels that wouldn't impair your hearing.

Go for it!
GREAT RATIONALE!!!! I agree w/ your viewpoints and I hope he gets this automobile.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

To the OP; make sure that you get one with AWD.

The following users liked this post:
nlt624 (12-31-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoko
To the OP; make sure that you get one with AWD.
True. But also remember that "all wheel drive" helps during acceleration, but does not help much in steering or braking, which is where most people get into a problem in winter conditions, so get and mount the best tires available for winter conditions. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys, the one I'm looking at is AWD. I think Im almost ready to pull the trigger on the XJL. I got to sit inside the new XFS today which is more to my size liking but the XJ is just on a complete other level compared to the XFS. I feel for the price they are asking Jaguar didn't hit the mark.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a small recommendation... Have you considered waiting for the F-pace? I believe that it is very reasonably priced and added off-road capability would be a plus in your profession..

Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi there,

I was in the same boat - I'm under 40 ( 38 still is under 40 ) and I bought myself a Jaguar XJ.

For all the wrong reasons - I was pondering between a Range Rover Sport ( newish ) or this and in my age, having two kids, a Range would be much better.

XJ however, for me, its the most beautifull car on the road today. Bar none. Its just gorgeous.

The new RRS has a lovely front end and a babbonish rear end.

I do what I want and what comes to my mind, because in the end, no matter what you do, no matter what option you take,some people are just a-holes and will judge you anyway. So do the hell you want.

Want the XJ ? Buy it. I did, I do not regret one sec - well sorts of.

Here goes : I bought he XJ "non L". I live in Lisbon, Portugal and sometimes, I have to go to the shopping with it - or find a car space in a crowded street.

While driving on the road you can forget about the XJ/XJL size in a sec, the car is quite sporty and turns very nicely, plus the cockpit "wraps around" you, so you will forget the sheer size of the thing in a bliss.

Until you have to park it on a street.

However, it does have a nice turning circle so, you can park it with a bit of an efffort.

XJL on the other hand, its just a mamooth. On my building nex to my office, some guy has a XJL and it REALLY is quite bigger and I wouldnt want to live with a XJL on a daily basis on a city and trying to find, every day, a place to parallel park it. The thing is just huge.

Three pieces of advice :

- research the options and search for the car with the options you want. pretty much you CANNOT retrofit anything, so if you buying it used, you are stuck with what you bought. for me the priority was Portfolio spec and Meridian 825w sound system.

- XJ vs XJL - only you can decide. the XJL is bigger ( great of transporting people in the back ) and a tad more confortable ( longer wheelbase ) but a bit hellish to live in a crowded city if you have to parallel park it

- just do it

I have owned my fair share of cars, and none has this special appeal of the Jaguar. It really really makes the owner feel like a special guy. A friend of my father's has a Bentley and asked to have a ride on my Jaguar and once he got it he was "oh my.. this is superb".

So sod it what people are going to think about you in your 30's driving a Jaguar this big. It is confortable, economical ( mighty in fact - but then again I live in Europe and I have the diesel ) and sporty.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:10 AM

Thanks guys for the reply's. I have considered both the f-pace and macan. My dealer is getting in a 2016 short wheel base xj and I'm going to drive it along with the 2014 xjl and a 2016 xf-s and see how they all feel compared to each other. I love the interior of the xjl but I don't "need" to buy a car this second, so Im taking my time on this one as much as I can....I think i've watched every jaguar related video on youtube at this point.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I own the slightly older model, the X358 in LWB guise and absolutely love it.....
As far as I know I've never been called an ***, certainly never to my face or at least due to the car.....lol
I've only ever had compliment after compliment about it, admiring glances and many who simply just stare taking it all in.

It's an extra 6" or so and not all that noticeable when driving, have to be a little more careful when parking or in tighter car park spaces etc, but all worth if for me, it's my daily driver and I wouldn't change it, unless for the newer model you're considering.

IMO if you're buying your car subject to what other people may think of you, you've already lost. I also agree wholeheartedly with Johndalheimers comments.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go

Old 01-10-2016, 11:19 PM

Well guys its official. Tomorrow I'm going to sign the papers for my 2016 XJ AWD in midnight sapphire. Its so gorgeous 20' kasougas, london tan interior, I'm so excited.

The following 2 users liked this post by eddalejr:
nlt624 (01-11-2016), retriever-007 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eddalejr
Well guys its official. Tomorrow I'm going to sign the papers for my 2016 XJ AWD in midnight sapphire. Its so gorgeous 20' kasougas, london tan interior, I'm so excited.
You lucky dog! You will have the Surround Sound System but best of all Remote Start.
Yesterday we had snow and ice. The road conditions were bad as we had over 140 reported accidents.
I was very pleased with the way my AWD handled. At no time did I ever feel that I did not have control of the car even when I hit a few slicks spots.
The OEM all season tires handled things as well as you would expect from an all season tire.
The only bad moment was going into a round about that was nothing but pure ice. As I begin to stop for the yield sign the car slide but I manually started to pump the brakes and brought the car to a stop before entering the round about.
There was no traffic in the round about at the time so I was good even if the car had not stopped but continued on.
I do not care if it is AWD,FWD, 4WD or a vehicle equipped with the best snow and ice tire on the market, on snow and ice you have to take your time, watch your speed and allow plenty of breaking time.
Congratulations on that 2016!

Last edited by MHT; 01-11-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
You lucky dog! You will have the Surround Sound System but best of all Remote Start.
Yesterday we had snow and ice. The road conditions were bad as we had over 140 reported accidents.
I was very pleased with the way my AWD handled. At no time did I ever feel that I did not have control of the car even when I hit a few slicks spots.
The OEM all season tires handled things as well as you would expect from an all season tire.
The only bad moment was going into a round about that was nothing but pure ice. As I begin to stop for the yield sign the car slide but I manually started to pump the brakes and brought the car to a stop before entering the round about.
There was no traffic in the round about at the time so I was good even if the car had not stopped but continued on.
I do not care if it is AWD,FWD, 4WD or a vehicle equipped with the best snow and ice tire on the market, on snow and ice you have to take your time, watch your speed and allow plenty of breaking time.
I've got the all season pirelli's. Questioning whether or not to but proper winters

Old 01-11-2016, 06:56 PM
MHT

Originally Posted by eddalejr
I've got the all season pirelli's. Questioning whether or not to but proper winters
I have the Pirelli's too. I have never used snow tires even on RWD drive cars.
I would give it a go with the OEM tires on the car and than if you feel you need snow tires I would make the purchase.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 PM

Ya, I'll give em a go and see how they do.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Years ago I went Blizzack winter tires on my rear wheel drive Lincoln Mark VII for two winters. I did not feel 100% comfortable w/ them (too much horsepower) so going into the 3rd winter I would park the Lincoln and use my front wheel drive Buick Riviera w/ all season tires throughout winter driving. Even w/ all season tires that front wheel drive Riviera got me through anything old-man winter would throw at me. Wish I had kept that Riviera but sold it to a guy and he had it maybe 6 months and wrecked it. Since 2000 have used the GMC 4 wheel drive in snow using Michelin all season tires and have not had any problems w/ snow.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:30 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by MHT
Up Date:
Pumping the brakes may not have been the best idea on my part because it is best to let the ABS do its job, the next time I will try and remember that.