XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Love the driving experience...the tech..sub par

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Love the driving experience...the tech..sub par

I love driving my newly purchase XJ supercharged. It's probably the best car I've ever driven when it comes to luxury and performance. I just can't believe how sub par the tech is in the car. The nav screen is painful, it doesn't play half of my usb drive mp3 files, just displays a message and skips or just sits there. Also, I cannot program my garage door opener into the homelink system. I have tried holding the transmitter to the mirror and the rolling code learn..nothing. I've had no problems with Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura. This is the first vehicle that will not accept it.

Any tips on programming the garage door and playing audio files from usb. I have seen where the bitrate might matter, but files that look identical..one will play..one won't.

Thanks,

-Abs

Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

It would be a great help to all forum members if we knew what you are driving i.e. make model year trim etc. Especially if you created a signature with this information.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

abs777, atleast with the USB files, you need to make sure that they are all in CBR format (ie, Constant Bit Rate). If the file is VBR (Variable Bit Rate), the system is not able to handle that and will see it as an invalid file format and lock up like you are seeing. I have a 16GB USB with about 3,000 songs on it and don't have an issue with one. I used to, but once I converted over to CBR on everything, all has been good.

As for programming the garage door opener, can't help you there.

The following users liked this post:
abs777 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Garage doors and Homlink can be difficult. We installed new garage doors 2 years ago with top of the line Genie openers and the garage door people changed the logic boards several times. It was finally solved when they changed the openers to Liftmaster and installed a Homelink adapter and now all is fine. The best advice is to go to Homlink.com and follow their recommended procedure and if that fails call theitr customer support.

abs777 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 AM

Thanks guys! I will try the constant bit rate. Do you have a certain app you use for it?

I have liftmasters. Thanks, I will go to homelink and see what they say.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

What I have is what homlink calls a bridge kit. You may need to call them and they may send you a kit for no charge.

We still don't know what you are driving.

Attached Files
Old 11-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

abs777, I pulled a free program off of "download.com". Do a search on CBR converter and you should have lots to choose from. I want to say I used LameXP. The program did what I wanted. The only problem I had with the program is if you are doing files from multiple folders, it saves them all in 1 folder. So, you will end up having to sort them back out. I keep all my music sorted by artist name as the main folder and all the sub folders are the albums from that artist. So, I had an extra step if I did everything under that one artist at one time.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

What year is your XJ? I hear the MY2016+ XJ has the new InControl system which is lightening fast.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Bigger sat-nav screen in the 2017 XJ

Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
abs777, atleast with the USB files, you need to make sure that they are all in CBR format (ie, Constant Bit Rate). If the file is VBR (Variable Bit Rate), the system is not able to handle that and will see it as an invalid file format and lock up like you are seeing. I have a 16GB USB with about 3,000 songs on it and don't have an issue with one. I used to, but once I converted over to CBR on everything, all has been good.

As for programming the garage door opener, can't help you there.
This worked! Thank you for the info.

I have two more questions.

1. The passenger rear window will not auto go up..it goes up half way and then opens all the way. It will do this 3 times and then the fourth it works...I have googled ways to program it, but the ones I have found doesn't work. Is there another way to program? "Close hold for two seconds hear a click...open hold for two seconds. "

2. This car comes with the smoker package. Is there any way to remove it and use it for storage, like in the nonsmoker package?

-Still working on the garage door issue.

Thanks,

-Joe

Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Joe, let me look in the manual that I have for how to program the windows. From the sounds of things, what you are experiencing is that the window has too much friction and it is making the car think that there is something in the way. BUt, it also has an override feature that after a few tries, it figures you have checked and there is nothing blocking it and allows the window to go all the way up, regardless of what the load sensing says.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

abs777, to program the windows, you need to start with the windows in a mid position. Now, start the engine. At this point, take the window to the close position and once the window hits the closed position, hold the window button in the close position for an additional 2 seconds. Release the switch. Take the switch again to the close position and hold it there for an additional 2 seconds. Release. Now, push the button to open the window and hold it in the open position till the window reaches the full open position (no need for a 2 second wait). At this point, the window should be programmed and should respond as you desire.

If you continue to have issues, let me know as there is a troubleshooting chart to follow to figure out what is going on with the window.

abs777 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:30 AM

Many thanks, Thermo! I will try this fix later today when I get home and report back.

-Joe