XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Moldy Smell From AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moldy Smell From AC

practically new 2015 XJL 5.0 Supercharged is having intense moldy smell from AC.

Anyone has this issue? Car only has 8k miles

Old 05-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,249 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Originally Posted by socialjaguarfan
practically new 2015 XJL 5.0 Supercharged is having intense moldy smell from AC.

Anyone has this issue? Car only has 8k miles
Quite a common problem actually and affects all cars. Solution is also cheap and easy.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Social, since you most likely use your A/C most of the year, this would not be uncommon. In short, a little bit of mold/mildew has formed inside your A/C system. Like the video shows, spraying some of the Lysol into the intake will kill the mold/mildew and then re-open the drain to allow proper draining of the water from the inside of the car that collects while running the A/C.

In an absolute worst case, you may have to feed a metal coat hanger into the vent duct so you can get to the drain pan. From there, you will have to find the drain hole and push out the plug. Granted, if you are getting that far into things, you can also take some water with bleach in it and get it into the drain pan and let the bleach do its job.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run into this issue too in the past. One thing I learned to help stop it especially if you don't drive the car daily so fresh condensate washes through the coil is to turn the compressor off and run the fan only on full speed for 3 minutes before shutting down the car.

What that does is blows all the water out of the evaporator coil and dries it out. You will see a big puddle of water under the care when you move it.

This has worked well for me and I am in Florida where it is hot and humid.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (05-21-2017)