XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am scheduled for 27 with tappets and chains and tensioners change. Will take a better look then.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:39 AM

So…. Can someone tell me by these pics if the mounts are bad?

Car is on the lift
looks like left is LEAKING . The straps around them, as the engine sits, are loose, like I can press the straps until they are following the countour of the Mounts. Left is more loose then wright. So…. Straps sagging

Thank you in advance for opinions

Last edited by danu99; 05-31-2024 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by danu99
So…. Can someone tell me by these pics if the mounts are bad?

Car is on the lift
looks like left is LEAKING . The straps around them, as the engine sits, are loose, like I can press the straps until they are following the countour of the Mounts. Left is more loose then wright. So…. Straps sagging

Thank you in advance for opinions

So….. Now one?
Not a single opinion?

Old 05-31-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Well I don't see any stains? The ones posted before are very obvious and there is no mistaking it. Yours look OK?
Did you do the drive test?

Open the hood and put the car in gear and gently increase the RPM's while holding the brake hard. Like power braking off the line in the old days.
Watch under the space between the hood and the cowl to see if the engine raises up. It should move some but if the mount is bad they generally have a lot of slop.

If you do the engine mounts it's also recommended to replace the transmission mount. The nice thing about that is the transmission mount is a breeze compared to the engine mounts!

Old 05-31-2024, 01:00 PM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

No idea. Ones i have seen have been well visible as failed.

Old 05-31-2024, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Well I don't see any stains? The ones posted before are very obvious and there is no mistaking it. Yours look OK?

Open the hood and put the car in gear and gently increase the RPM's while holding the brake hard. Like power braking off the line in the old days.
Watch under the space between the hood and the cowl to see if the engine raises up. It should move some but if the mount is bad they generally have a lot of slop.

If you do the engine mounts it's also recommended to replace the transmission mount. The nice thing about that is the transmission mount is a breeze compared to the engine mounts!
Originally Posted by Vasara
No idea. Ones i have seen have been well visible as failed.

In this pic…. Areas highlated with red…… seem like old Staines?

And on the other one….distance to the vent hole I guess it is….. Is normal or smaller?

Old 05-31-2024, 03:09 PM

did the test bun only in drive, not in reverse too. I had a person in front of the car, looking, and told me driver side was rising under acceleration

Old 06-01-2024, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Those engine mounts are right out in the weather and again the ones posted that were leaking had some colored stains on them? Yours just look like they are a bit dirty?
How far was it raising? They do allow engine movement so there is a bit of interpretation as exactly how much is too much?

Old 06-01-2024, 12:03 PM

Those engine mounts are right out in the weather and again the ones posted that were leaking had some colored stains on them? Yours just look like they are a bit dirty?
How far was it raising? They do allow engine movement so there is a bit of interpretation as exactly how much is too much?

Thx for the answer…
So the definitive test is brake, In drive and if motor lifts……. And same in reverse.
Question……. How much should rise if bad Mounts? 1..2…3 cm? More?
An experienced answer would be great.

Old 06-02-2024, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Again it's all relative but I did find a video (Non Jaguar of course!) and it does show what I would call normal engine movement while power braking.
Take a look and see how much that engine moves compared to yours?

He goes on about how dangerous power braking is and to use a professional but that's all just legal BS to cover his *** against law suits. Just use common sense and keep your foot on the brake pedal!

Old 06-02-2024, 09:27 AM

Again it's all relative but I did find a video (Non Jaguar of course!) and it does show what I would call normal engine movement while power braking.
Take a look and see how much that engine moves compared to yours?
Bad Engine Mounts

He goes on about how dangerous power braking is and to use a professional but that's all just legal BS to cover his *** against law suits. Just use common sense and keep your foot on the brake pedal!
I will repeat all the possible tests, document by pictures and films.
What size of video can I upload if someone can tell?Again…. Thanks for the answers… this x351 is much more sensitive and has aaa lottttt of ods and quirks to it.

Old 06-04-2024, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Why upload a video?
You know what it's suppose to look like?
Just take a look and if the engine is moving more than it should just change the mounts?

Old 06-04-2024, 01:24 PM

Why upload a video?
You know what it's suppose to look like?
Just take a look and if the engine is moving more than it should just change the mounts?
Done both test…. Drive and reverse. About 1-2 cm of movement both sides.
Is that ok?

Old 06-04-2024, 03:36 PM

Btw…… can someone help me please with a parts code for propshaft Bering?
Thank you?
And maybe a idea for a store?

Old 06-05-2024, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

I think your fine as that's about what you should see?

We have been told Jaguar only services the entire drive shaft but there are after market places to get individual parts.
Here is the parts diagram from JPART. As you can see they don't break it down very far.

The entire shaft assembly will be very expensive so search out a drive line shop and they should be able to service/change the center carrier bearing assembly.
Sorry I don't have more details as it's not a common problem or repair.

Old 06-05-2024, 08:23 AM

I think your fine as that's about what you should see?

We have been told Jaguar only services the entire drive shaft but there are after market places to get individual parts.
Here is the parts diagram from JPART. As you can see they don't break it down very far.

The entire shaft assembly will be very expensive so search out a drive line shop and they should be able to service/change the center carrier bearing assembly.
Sorry I don't have more details as it's not a common problem or repair.
Yeah…. I know. I tought that especially the uk guys might have a solution…. I know its one piece
The bearing is fine. No noise. But…. Some vibrations, not extremely bad, that increase when accelerate and decrease to 0 when coasting or constant driving. So I took a look at the shaft, and the middle bushing is elastic, meaning that if you push up or down, the bushing moves with the shaft of course. I thought it was the shaft bushing, but I am not sure. Might be something like not balanced? The cross joint in the middle of the shaft it has about 1-2 mm of play if you turn it by hand. Not sure what it is. Bushing…. Shaft cross….. Other stuff? Verry few info about this matter
Nothing more than De balanced shaft…. Is that even a thing? I know shaft cross gets ware and tare..//. But how does it manifest…. ?

Old 06-05-2024, 12:13 PM

The little hole in the Mount is full(closed)
Legend says that it should be fully opened, and if closed then the liquid part is fully collapsed. And Mount is bad
True or false??
Its a high resolution pic, you can zoom on it.
I just want to be definitively sure they are good or bad

Old 06-06-2024, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Unless there is fluid leaking I would not worry about it? Think about it? If the fluid part is collapsed where did the fluid go? It's sealed inside and can't go anywhere except if it's leaking somewhere? But you don't have a fluid stains?
If you want to know for sure just go a head and replace them.

Drive line vibrations can also come from the rubber disc's on the drive shaft. They can tear and decay and usually you can't tell until you remove them. If you do be sure and mark EXACTLY where all the bolts and washers were originally installed to help keep things balanced.

Old 06-06-2024, 11:05 AM

Unless there is fluid leaking I would not worry about it? Think about it? If the fluid part is collapsed where did the fluid go? It's sealed inside and can't go anywhere except if it's leaking somewhere? But you don't have a fluid stains?
If you want to know for sure just go a head and replace them.

Drive line vibrations can also come from the rubber disc's on the drive shaft. They can tear and decay and usually you can't tell until you remove them. If you do be sure and mark EXACTLY where all the bolts and washers were originally installed to help keep things balanced.
Ideea is….. Car might of sat….. Undriven…. Months….. Maybe years….. Don't know! So…. Maybe… mounts ware spent in that period and now no trace of oil. For me…. Traces of oil missing is not a sign that they are good. That's why o wanna check and double check before spending g 1000 euro for the or for a suspicion. 1000 isn't a ok to be spent without being sure its necessary.

Old 08-10-2024, 02:36 PM

Yeah…. Still have a issue… that might be around engine mounts
So…. In dynamic.… in normal driving mode not.
In second… third…. Coasting….meaning very light throttle….4,5 liters consumption on instantaneous, Or in off throttle
when I press the throttle, not in hard acceleration, but in light or normal acceleration, I feel a thump or two….. Through the car. When the gear box re engages. Its not hard… minor hiccup regarding car movement and fluidity. Like something is loose a bit or a bushing bad…..
If I step the acceleration for better sprint…. It doesn't do that. So…. What could be the cause?
Engine mounts?
Gear box mount? Witch is a little bit sagy.… visually, the mount is on the low side, when mounted. But its not broken or rubber broken.
Prop flanges? (I think they are originals, but not one crack on them. )
Something else?
What could hit to some metal?…. When the gear box re engages after coasting on light throttle?

Ps: I had and still have…. On ANY start, cold and hot, a mild thump or 2…. Or 3. Never had anymore then 3. With a vibration for each thump…. Felt thru the car frame. And nothing else…. Regardless the rpm. Only at start.
Could be these related…. And in dinamyc drive…. Being more responsive…. I enhance the problem?
On full sprint…. Full acceleration…. Nothing. Only on mild acceleration from coasting or light throttle! Around 20 to 40 kph range

Last edited by danu99; 08-10-2024 at 02:41 PM.