XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My front door is rattling! Anyone had this issue before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My front door is rattling! Anyone had this issue before?

2018 XJR575

A few weeks ago, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the front driver's side door. The rattling was only present when music with a deep bassline played. Initially, I thought the noise was a blown speaker since it was only heard when music was playing. I took the car in for inspection and they heard the rattling as well. They performed a sound test and the car passed. They thought it might be the window switch panel but they weren't for certain. So, they decided to replace the entire door panel (which made perfect sense to me). It's been a week later and unfortunately, the rattling has returned. Unlike before, the rattling is now happening by simply driving over bumps in the road in addition the bassline of the songs played. Determined to find out were it was coming from, I pulled over to the side of the road and did some investigating. The carbon fiber veneer panel is where the noise is coming from. I can put one finger on the panel and instantly, the rattling stop. The moment I let go, it returns. I'm not slamming my door nor am I blasting the music so I'm not sure why this keeps happening.

Has anyone encountered this issue? What was the solution since I already have new door panel installed?

Last edited by YepItsme; 07-01-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:23 PM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

What the inspector should have done was to drive the car without the door panel so he/she can pinpoint where the rattle is coming from. Something is loose or something is not installed right

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-30-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:16 AM
Old 07-01-2022, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
What the inspector should have done was to drive the car without the door panel so he/she can pinpoint where the rattle is coming from. Something is loose or something is not installed right
Thank you. I will mention this to them when I go back to the shop.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

That's interesting and when I upgraded all my woofers to the Kevlar versions I sound treated all the doors. This included removing the CF door trim which I then treated the back side of and reinstalled on the door. It is easy to remove just don't drop it or let it hit anything. I accidentally dropped one piece and broke the chrome trim on the corner off. I purchased a used replacement piece with the wrong wood on it as the chrome trim is all the same regardless of trim. Swapped the chrome and back in business!

Old 12-25-2022, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
That's interesting and when I upgraded all my woofers to the Kevlar versions I sound treated all the doors. This included removing the CF door trim which I then treated the back side of and reinstalled on the door. It is easy to remove just don't drop it or let it hit anything. I accidentally dropped one piece and broke the chrome trim on the corner off. I purchased a used replacement piece with the wrong wood on it as the chrome trim is all the same regardless of trim. Swapped the chrome and back in business!
UPDATE - we found the source of the problem and it had NOTHING to do with the fit and finish of the door. That being said, my car is perfect!

Old 12-25-2022, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by YepItsme
2018 XJR575...............A few weeks ago, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the front driver's side door. The rattling was only present when music with a deep bassline played. Initially, I thought the noise was a blown speaker since it was only heard when music was playing.

Has anyone encountered this issue? What was the solution since I already have new door panel installed?
Originally Posted by YepItsme
UPDATE - we found the source of the problem and it had NOTHING to do with the fit and finish of the door. That being said, my car is perfect!
Yes, we have the same issue, on occasion, with our 2016 XJ-L. Don't tease us, WHAT WAS IT, AND HOW DID YOU FIX IT???

Old 12-26-2022, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yes he has another open thread on this too!
We really could use an answer for he benefit of all.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yes, we have the same issue, on occasion, with our 2016 XJ-L. Don't tease us, WHAT WAS IT, AND HOW DID YOU FIX IT???
Sorry I didn't mean to leave you all hanging (holidays). I'm going to the shop at the end of the week to have the issue fixed. I want to make sure this is the real source of the noise before I post it online. I promise to follow up!

Old 01-05-2023, 01:18 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I recall there being some reports of rattling caused by some wires behind the door card rattling around. The wires are normally held together with a clip and there is also some insulation around the wires that decays over time causing them to rattle. If this is your problem, you can reinsulate the wires with some felt or foam tape and make sure the wires are better secured so they don’t rattle.

Old 01-14-2023, 08:59 AM

Happy New Year Everyone.

As promised, I said I would report back on what was causing the rattling in my door. I took my car to someone who specializes in trims and aftermarket products. I told him about the issue and took him for a ride in my car to hear the noise firsthand. After some listening and some probing, he was able to tell that some of the rivets that hold the carbon fiber veneer in place were worn. He then ran his fingers across the edges of the veneer and discovered there was a significant gap at the bottom of the veneer. This separation starts near the middle of the veneer and goes all the way to where the "M" button is for the seat memory feature. From the naked eye, it looks as if everything is intact and when I probed the area myself before taking to the shop, I was unable to fill the gap until the guy at the shop showed me where to place my fingers. The bottom portion of my veneer piece is completely separated from my door panel. I asked him if he could fix it but he informed me that he didn't have the rivets needed and that it's not a "quick fix" because how Jaguar fuses the door panel and the veneer together. The Jag dealership can't fix it because they need to install a new veneer piece which has been on backorder since July (maybe longer, my order was put in in July) and there is no ETA for it. I have a feeling this part may never come since the XJ is no longer in production. I asked him if I should be worried about all of my door veneers rattling and he said it's possible for it happen just because it's Jaguar but driver's door gets the most use so those rivets would wear out the fastest. He checked the veneers on the other doors and all were solid.

The guy at my shop came up with a perfect solution. He took a thin piece of charcoal foam that still had the adhesive paper on and folded it in half. He slowly pushed the foam into the gap at the bottom on veneer until it disappeared under the veneer. He told me he left the paper on the foam so that in event the foam needed to be pulled out or replaced, the paper would be easier to grab with tweezers than the foam. I tested the door, opening, closing, lighting slamming it check to see if the foam would fall out. Nope! Then I turned on the music, no rattling. I drove around the parking lot over speed bumps and uneven pavement...no rattling, not even the creaks I used to hear at times. Bank vault solid now.

As I mention, I don't expect the part I need to ever come in because my car is no longer in production and because of the model I have, my veneer is the carbon fiber option and not a traditional wood. The foam piece is was perfect work around. I hope this helps for you all.

The following users liked this post:
Nedoerr (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 01:45 PM
Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Reading through your findings, it sounds like you've almost discovered the same things that have been discovered before in a couple of existing posts such as BaltoBernies that you've also posted in, complete with details and photos.
The panel is secure by special clips that are identified in at least one existing post, including pics of the clips, panel & details.
If what you're describing is some other reason for the noise, please clarify where differences are - what's different from what guidance that gave?

Last edited by 12jagmark; 01-14-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Yes can you help us a bit?
There are no rivets anywhere in the door panel? I have had all of this apart and together several times.
Do you mean the wood veneer has separated from the metal backing plate?

I have never seen this but I have had these metal/wood panels redone because of cracking of the finish.
But the wood did not separate from the metal?

Maybe a picture would help?
Just a tip? If needed there are a number of used door trims on EBay with different wood on them. I have CF trim and yes those are much more difficult to find.