XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Mysterious battery drainage

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011 | 03:39 PM
|
Default Mysterious battery drainage

Guys, need some advice pls. Im located in Moscow/Russia and just got my new XJ, its 2010 make (dealership had nice offer for several cars left over from last year). Current mileage is less than 1000 km. VIN last 5 numbers 07228

I've owned the car for a month now. In the last 3 weeks the battery went dead (to the point where the car doesn't start) 3 times with approx 7 days intervals. With no prior warnings what so ever. Fist time it happened at a car wash. I just assumed they gave me the car with poorly charged battery. But next couple of times the car was locked near my apartment and i couldnt start it after very short (1 hour or less ) intervals from previous fairly long runs.

The dealership said on both occasions that the battery was fine. Last time they refreshed the software and said that "some systems didnt go to sleep properly". this evening the story repeated. parked near my apartment, locked, after 1 hour doest start. The battery charge showed 10.3.

Any ideas? Faulty battery seems the obvious reason. Also strange coincidence that last two times it happened right below my apartment windows (i dont usually park my car there) within potential reach of the keyless thingy (oh and the spare one too).
help pls

Old 05-06-2011 | 07:35 PM

I've read somewhere over the internet that if you don't lock the car using the keyfob when you leave, the car stays in "stand by" and the battery gets drained. It's a design failure I believe. Try always locking the car after you leave and see if the problem continues. It shouldn't.

Old 05-10-2011 | 10:06 AM

Hello,
there is a solution to the problem. You are correct that some systems didn't go to sleep properly. A faulty battery is also possible and there is a recall out on those.
Ask the dealer to check for those TSB's:
Battery Recall
Software update re. Sidemarker (which was identified as another major cause for that problem)
I had posted the website info where you can get those TSB's a few months ago, just do a search for my posts, (Jaguars service website, for a small fee).
If you need more assistance you can send me a PM with your email and I can send you the TSB.
I heard of 2 other cars where the key distance was thought to cause that problem. But after the software updates there haven't seem to be any more reports.
Now....your delaer has access to all that info...and they should be able to get that resolved.
However, the battery replacement action is expired by Jaguar and if your dealer missed to identify your car as the ones with a faulty battery, they should get you a new battery anyways. There problem how they get Jaguar to pay them if they really did miss it.

Old 05-10-2011 | 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Vasiliy
Guys, need some advice pls. Im located in Moscow/Russia and just got my new XJ, its 2010 make (dealership had nice offer for several cars left over from last year). Current mileage is less than 1000 km. VIN last 5 numbers 07228

I've owned the car for a month now. In the last 3 weeks the battery went dead (to the point where the car doesn't start) 3 times with approx 7 days intervals. With no prior warnings what so ever. Fist time it happened at a car wash. I just assumed they gave me the car with poorly charged battery. But next couple of times the car was locked near my apartment and i couldnt start it after very short (1 hour or less ) intervals from previous fairly long runs.

The dealership said on both occasions that the battery was fine. Last time they refreshed the software and said that "some systems didnt go to sleep properly". this evening the story repeated. parked near my apartment, locked, after 1 hour doest start. The battery charge showed 10.3.

Any ideas? Faulty battery seems the obvious reason. Also strange coincidence that last two times it happened right below my apartment windows (i dont usually park my car there) within potential reach of the keyless thingy (oh and the spare one too).
help pls
...also...I will check against the VIN if the car was effected by the battery re-call. I already know that it is effected by the Sidemarker software update.

Old 05-10-2011 | 10:20 AM

help pls
Your vehicle is effected by those which may cause the problem.
Ask dealer if TSB No: K075 dated Nov 19 2010 has been performed (Sidemarker Light remains on)
Your vehicle VIN is NOT on the list for battery replacement. Thise where only for VIN 00477 - 06854, 10272 - 11214 and 11149 - 14389 and the battery replacement recall is still active til end of 2012
However if your battery shows only 10.3 Volts after a longer drive, the cause is more then obvious. That is far too low for a good battery after a drive.
Dealer needs to either re-place battery and/ or check charging circuits w. alternator.
That should do the trick. After going back a 3rd time Jaguar should instruct the dealer to simply do so and get it done right to make you happy.

Old 05-11-2011 | 10:20 AM
|

Thank you, thats smth to go on. They have replaced the battery last time so we will see about that. What is ment by "sidemarker light"issue? All exterior lights seem work properly. A small triangle indicator light on control panel (emergency stop) remains on, is that it? Thanx again

Old 05-11-2011 | 10:54 PM

What is ment by "sidemarker light"issue?
Small amber light embedded in the amber side reflectors of the front light clusters. Your car probably doesn't have these as your car is produced for the Russian market.

Hopefully the new battery will solve your issues. While probably not the source of the problem, I'm assuming they checked to see if the battery monitoring system is working properly.

Old 06-13-2011 | 11:59 AM

I was told not to leave the key fob in the car as it keeps the car in standby mode and will drain the battery.

Old 08-25-2011 | 05:02 AM
|
Default small update

So the battery drainage went away (hopefully for good) after the battery was replaced by the dealership (some screaming had to be done since they refused to acknowledge the problem).

Overall, im very happy with the car, i personally think that it is the best looking lux sedan of all (both exterior and interior). Its very well balanced (i know what im talking about since I've done circuit racing for many years and have a good feeling for this) and quite fun to drive.

Anticipating winter, got (in advance) a set of OEM 19' wheels and pirelli winter tires. So I will be able to give some feedback on winter/snow performance in a few months.

Had no other issues exept the following:

1. Volume buttons on the steering wheel stop responding from time to timefor no apparent reason whatsoever and then "wake up" in the same unpredictable manner
2.Voice control button just doesnt work (nothing happens when pressed, no menu appears)

Any suggestions?

Old 08-25-2011 | 11:29 AM

I was told as well not to leave the key fob in the car as it causes the car to remain in standby and drain the battery.

Old 08-25-2011 | 05:39 PM

So the battery drainage went away (hopefully for good) after the battery was replaced by the dealership (some screaming had to be done since they refused to acknowledge the problem).

Overall, im very happy with the car, i personally think that it is the best looking lux sedan of all (both exterior and interior). Its very well balanced (i know what im talking about since I've done circuit racing for many years and have a good feeling for this) and quite fun to drive.

Anticipating winter, got (in advance) a set of OEM 19' wheels and pirelli winter tires. So I will be able to give some feedback on winter/snow performance in a few months.

Had no other issues exept the following:

1. Volume buttons on the steering wheel stop responding from time to timefor no apparent reason whatsoever and then "wake up" in the same unpredictable manner
2.Voice control button just doesnt work (nothing happens when pressed, no menu appears)

Any suggestions?
Your car has not been updated with the latest tsb's from Jaguar. Your dealer should be able to do this..........hopefully.

Old 08-25-2011 | 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Your car has not been updated with the latest tsb's from Jaguar. Your dealer should be able to do this..........hopefully.
Yes, early release XJ's like mine did not have the voice control activated yet. Last fall Jaguar came out with a software update that got everything working and downloaded it to my car. Lean on your dealer to get this done for you--the voice control is awesome and works flawlessly.