XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Nav / Infotainment Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022 | 08:19 AM
|
Default Nav / Infotainment Update

I posted this question elsewhere but I'm afraid I put it in the wrong place, so my apologies! I have a 2015 XJL 3.0.....how do I find out what software version I'm running, and what map version?
And is buying the update from Jag to install vis a USB stick the only option? (Seems expensive!)
Do you guys recommend the updates? Is it worth it? Do the new maps offer a substantial improvement over the originals?

Also......I understand that "map updates" is one thing, and "system" updates are another. Besides the map updates, are there updates to the head unit itself?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!

Old 09-27-2022 | 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by RichardSyr
I
Do you guys recommend the updates? Is it worth it? Do the new maps offer a substantial improvement over the originals?
You realize this completely depends on the area that you drive, doesn't it?
Where we live & drive, there have been many changes to the roadways since our car first left the dealership, and because of that, it is helpful to update navigation maps.

Old 09-27-2022 | 11:01 AM
|

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
You realize this completely depends on the area that you drive, doesn't it?
Where we live & drive, there have been many changes to the roadways since our car first left the dealership, and because of that, it is helpful to update navigation maps.
Well, yes, of course it depends on where the driver lives. I'm in kind of a rural area with just a few trips to places like Philly,so I am thinking maybe there's not much benefit to me.

Old 09-27-2022 | 09:20 PM

This thread provides the procedure to display the map version in your car. In the 7 years since your car was built, smart phones have displaced most inanimate nav systems. The 2015 XJ is equipped with 3G telemetrics, which will be gone in the US by the end of the year. Either a stand-alone GPS connected to the Internet or a smart phone are your two best alternatives. Yes, your maps are not completely obsolete, but the great value in vehicular GPS are features like real-time traffic, road closures (and user-reported speed traps/cameras!)

Old 10-11-2022 | 02:00 PM

I'm not sure I'm in the right place for this but don't see where else this may belong. I know many are using smartphones, but I still prefer Jag's navigations, and it's the point of the matter more than anything that bothers me. I had my home address in the nav pane since I bought my 2018 XJ. I moved from Massachusetts to Florida in June. Since I moved, I have not been able to input my new address otherthan a faved address. I have tried countless times and it gets to the point of asking me to name my new home address. I put it in, hit save, and nothing happens. The Home Address is empty. Any clue how to get my new address in? I know I can hit recent favourites, and it is in there, but I should still be able to hit the HOME and my home address pop up. I'm not sure why it won't save. I don't remember having this much trouble inputting y original address. Before you ask, yes I am signed in to my In Control account.

TIA for any help someone can give.

Old 10-13-2022 | 08:39 PM

JaxR,

When I moved my 2012 XJ, 2018 575 and 2017 F-Pace from IL to RI i went through similar pain (I can't remember having similar problems when I move from CA to IL).

Anyway, the 2012 was fairly simple if you followed the handbook exactly. The 575 took forever to work out how to get home to be home and not Highland Park, IL. In the end it was quite a simple procedure. Yep, I know this doesn't help, but I can't remember how I achieved it...With the F-Pace, it was due a service and I got the dealership to do it.

Sorry, that didn't help at all did it! Go ask the dealer, they'll talk you through it in seconds!

wombat

The following users liked this post:
JaxR. (10-18-2022)
Old 10-15-2022 | 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

When I bought my new to me 2018XJR 575 in January of this year I had no difficulty in saving my home address. Try deleting the old home address and then entering the new one. If that doesn't work, look in your owners manual (if you don't have one download it from the stickies). Or you can try going to ground zero (erasing all data in the system and then entering your new home address). Hope one of these works for you.

The following users liked this post:
JaxR. (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 07:36 AM

Thanks LOL! It IS a simple thing, which is why it's giving me such trouble. I know it's some stupid little thing I'm missing I just had my second to last servicing done last month but forgot to bring it up since they were going over all kinds of other things and welcoming me to Florida.

Old 10-18-2022 | 07:41 AM

I was hoping not to have to erase all the info but it looks like that's what may end up happening. I did delete my old address as soon as I got here and then began scratching my head in complete confusion as I don't remember it being this hard when I first got it and put in my initial address.
I know if I figure it out before erasing the entire system I'm going to feel really dumb at some really small detail I'm overlooking.