XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Nav system hates highways 2011 XJ L

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014 | 04:32 PM
|
Default Nav system hates highways 2011 XJ L

The nav system is acting as if there is something set to avoid highways. I can't find anything that sets a preference, like on my Magellan - most use of highways, or least use of highways, that sort of thing.

Any ideas. The car is new to me, so I have nothing to compare to. It just seems consistently to avoid highways.

I've read the manual MANY times, and there just isn't much detail there about the nav system. If anyone knows of a separate resource, that would be super.

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2014 | 05:17 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum TechnoBob,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X351 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-05-2014 | 06:23 PM

1. From the navigation map view, press the Nav Menu button in the lower left corner
  2. Select Route Options
  3. Select Route Pref
  4. choose what options you want for route preferences. Selecting an item toggles it on/off. When on, the item will be blue indicating that you *do* want to use that option. For instance, if you toggle Ferries on, it will include any ferries in the route selection. If it is not blue, then it will avoid ferries.
  5. Press the OK button (i think. or the back arrow) when done.
  6. If you have the Learn Route option on, it will remember the route that you drive. If you drive the same path 3 times, it assumes that it is your preferred way of getting somewhere, overriding the other options
  7. Press the Delete button to the right of the Learn route line to delete any previously learned routes.
This is all from memory, so my instructions may be off slightly..

UPDATE:

I just looked and all this information is in the user manual, starting on Page 140 in the Navigation section.

Last edited by another_geek; 03-05-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2014 | 08:24 PM
|
Default Right on

A_Geek, you had it right. Thanks a lot. I think that was my problem.

I had assumed that the default would include "Major Roads," but in fact, that options was not highlighted. It is now. I think that should take car of things.

What confused me was that the nav system was taking toll roads. We have a lot of them where I live, and that option was checked. So the car was taking SOME major roads, toll roads, but not others. That was pretty frustrating, but again, should be fixed now.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2014 | 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TechnoBob
A_Geek, you had it right. Thanks a lot. I think that was my problem.

I had assumed that the default would include "Major Roads," but in fact, that options was not highlighted. It is now. I think that should take car of things.

What confused me was that the nav system was taking toll roads. We have a lot of them where I live, and that option was checked. So the car was taking SOME major roads, toll roads, but not others. That was pretty frustrating, but again, should be fixed now.

Thanks again.
Still, be alert with Jaguar nav, particularly in outlying areas. I have my settings for major highways, still, when taking a trip to a remote area, Jaguar nav. tried repeatedly to make me turn off the main highway and into some deserted forest roads, into pure wilderness. When I refused to turn, Jag Nav instructed me to make a U-turn in the middle of a high bridge spanning a canyon.

All along, Google nav led me perfectly and got me to my remote destination. Jag nav, running in parallel, announced that I arrived to my destination a good 0.5 miles short, in the middle of a wilderness forest.