XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Navigation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Questions

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a pre-owned 2011 XJL a few weeks back. I Love the car. My only main complaint is the nav system which I see if very common. Its just so slow and extremely lagged when trying to do anything. I just have a few questions.

1) When using the Nav and switching the guide views, is therea way to get a full turn by turn list? Example; when I am on a parkway and Iwant to see what exit I need to take next, instead of showing me the exit # to get off at, itshows me all the upcoming exits.. But not the one I need to take. Meaning if Ineed to take exit 43, it will show me 38,39,40,41,42 etc as I pass each one.. Isthere a way to change this?

2) Is there an update that will allow the systems voice guidance to verbally read the street names through the speakers?

3) How can I tell if my Navigation systems firmware is the latest version?

4) Does anyone know if its possible to add remote start to the XJL?

Thanks for all your help, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM

anyone?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

congrats on the purchase, i too have an XJL and hate the system so much. Actually the 2012 models are supposed to have an "upgraded" system which is supposed to be "faster"...and I still think its too slow....so i can only imagine id probably put my fist through the screen if it wasnt the "upgraded" one.

as far as your questions:
- as far as I know, it should read the street names out loud. I know mine does.
- remote starting should be possible. its not a standard feature, however i dont see why it wouldnt be possible to add an aftermarket feature. I would call the dealership and ask if it is..they'd give the best answer
- im not sure if there is a turn by turn option, i dont remember seeing one, i do remember looking for it.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by crc2k
1) When using the Nav and switching the guide views, is therea way to get a full turn by turn list? Example; when I am on a parkway and Iwant to see what exit I need to take next, instead of showing me the exit # to get off at, itshows me all the upcoming exits.. But not the one I need to take. Meaning if Ineed to take exit 43, it will show me 38,39,40,41,42 etc as I pass each one.. Isthere a way to change this?
Under Navigation Setup / User Settings, turn the "highway information" setting on/off to toggle the display of upcoming exits on or off

As far as version of the nav software, most likely it is the original. Navigation updates are not available from Jaguar and have to be purchased from Navteq at navigation.com for $280

You also probably just need to adjust the volume to hear the street names during navigation

Last edited by another_geek; 01-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it.

As for the street names, I do hear it say the directions like turn right, turn left etc....... But it never reads any street names out loud. Is there a seperate volume setting for reading street names? Does your unit actually verbally say the street names?

Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crc2k
Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it.

As for the street names, I do hear it say the directions like turn right, turn left etc....... But it never reads any street names out loud. Is there a seperate volume setting for reading street names? Does your unit actually verbally say the street names?

Thanks again!
My nav DOES NOT state actual street names as well.