XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Need Help with 2011 XJL (Heat won't turn off/no power to windows)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help with 2011 XJL (Heat won't turn off/no power to windows)

Hi all.

I had an issue once before and the awesome people on the forum were quick to help me out.

I left work today and after driving for about five minutes the heat kicked on out of nowhere. I didn't think much of it until I was blazing hot and tried to turn it off noticing that it wouldn't turn off and it shows the climate being off on the center council. I tried to put the window down so I could breathe and the windows wouldn't work either. I also lost control of the volume on the dash (steering wheel volume up/down still works) and the clock stopped working.

I tried calling the dealership and was told that they have never heard of this happening before and that I would have to bring the vehicle in. The only problem is that I can't physically get to the dealership for almost two weeks and can't drive sitting in a sauna.

Does anybody know what could have happened and how I can fix it? If I disconnect the battery, will it reset the system?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM

I just tried disconnecting the battery and that didn't solve the problem.

Anybody ever hear of this before?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Not that I have had to resort to this, but i would think the disconnection would have to be at least 5 minutes or more for memories to clear.

The following users liked this post:
scottyg (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:31 PM

How are you XJsss?

I'd say that it was disconnected for at least a couple of minutes but will try it again leaving it disconnected longer.

Keep you posted with results.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:22 PM

Disconnected battery for a solid 10 minutes and it didn't solve the issue.

From what I can tell, out of nowhere the power windows do not work, power locks on dash do not work, climate control says off but the heat will kick on as soon as the stereo kicks in. I can't control any of the heated window, volume up/down, defrost, etc buttons on dash either.

Seems like its an electrical thing or something. Everything stopped working at the exact same time. I was wondering if a blown fuse/fuses could also lead to this happening.

Besides above issues, car operates just fine.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Try, with battery connected locking the XJ from the outside using the button on the door handle and press it twice and hear the horn chirp, wait 30 seconds and then open the door. This has helped me in the past when my center display would have, what I call, a white out. So I know it does a reset. Good luck. Failing that off the the Jaguar Dealer it must go as maybe a modular connector has come loose or a ground has gone bad. I didn't see a single fuse that handles all these interfaces.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

When you get lots of seemingly unrelated electrical faults occur at the same time it is often linked to two things: a flat battery (unlikely if the engine was running for a while first) or a weak or totally broken earth. The previous X350 would eat through earth studs like cheese causing all sorts of electrical system issues even to unrelated systems. If a ground for a main ECU breaks and goes high resistance or starts floating it can cause total havoc to all sorts of things. The main culprit was galvanic corrosion between the threaded eath stud and the harness where the zinc protection has worn off, and can't be seen from the outside.

Have all the windows failed even from the passenger door switch packs? That might suggest something around the central junction box (which contains electronics, it is not just a fuse box).

Hooked up to Jag's SDD or other diagnostics equipment should show which modules are logging faults and help narrow down where to look.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyg
Disconnected battery for a solid 10 minutes and it didn't solve the issue.

From what I can tell, out of nowhere the power windows do not work, power locks on dash do not work, climate control says off but the heat will kick on as soon as the stereo kicks in. I can't control any of the heated window, volume up/down, defrost, etc buttons on dash either.

Seems like its an electrical thing or something. Everything stopped working at the exact same time. I was wondering if a blown fuse/fuses could also lead to this happening.

Besides above issues, car operates just fine.
What was your resolution on this issue? I am experiencing similar.