XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Need help with misfire. 2015 XJR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with misfire. 2015 XJR.

So I’ve been having random miss fires with my 2015 XJR. Went to FPC Euro or whatever and ordered all new fuel injectors, plugs and coils. Since most of my miss fires were on the passenger bank, I started there. I got all the old parts out, new parts in and it was not terribly difficult outside of some tight spaces to wiggle around. Wanted to test before I dug into the drivers side. She’s running so horrible. Scanner is giving miss fires on cylinders 1,2,3,4 (passenger bank). Triple checked all connections, ground etc. I can’t figure it out. She’s running horribly rough, no throttle, back fires etc etc.

Not sure what I could have done wrong. I’ve read everything concerning fuel injector replacement and was confident heading into this project, but I have no idea how swapping these parts have made it run SO much worse. I’m not sure what to check from here.

The ONLY codes are the P0301/2/3/4.

She was running perfectly fine, outside the random CEL for P0301-2-3-4. All I did was replace the parts that won’t directly say “spark plug is bad” and since I was there I did all 3 things on that cylinder.

Oh how do I regret that.

Last edited by SuperChargedXJR; 09-22-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:56 PM
Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

Did you check/adjust the caps of spark plugs?

Old 09-22-2024, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vasara
Did you check/adjust the caps of spark plugs?

Yep. Meticulously set them all.

I am throwing a Hail Mary at it and putting the old, 78,000 mile coils back in 2 of the 4 passenger cylinders to see if two misfires go away. It will at least tell me something I hope.

* front 2 cylinder factory coils still show miss fire*

Last edited by SuperChargedXJR; 09-22-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I ran into the exact same thing on my 2014 XJR EXCEPT mine was the drivers side with 2-4-6-8 cylinder miss fires. I also started with just replacing the drivers side injectors and plugs. I left the coils alone. Same as you that when I replaced all this I still had massive miss fires and had plumes of white smoke pouring out the drivers side tail pipe. So on to the passenger side!

After getting all that done. I must say your a very good mechanic if you thought doing the passenger side was not hard? I found it to be a terrible job and I was bloody and sore afterwards!! But now things got even worse!

Before the car would start but run terrible with white smoke poring out the exhaust. Now it won't start at all! With 8 new plugs and 8 new injectors! Cranks fine and no attempt to start at all. I did a compression check (Again difficult to do on these engines!) on all 8 cylinders including adding a small amount of oil and re-running the test. Also checked that the gear driven fuel pumps were working and I had no fuel pressure codes. Also checked spark on both sides of the engine and every last thing was fine?

Many hours involved going over everything I could think of plus I had my tuner (VAP) as well as a Jaguar Tech helping me. They both convinced me to look at the injectors again. So what I did was take my factory injectors and sent them out for cleaning and flow balancing. This turned into another learning experience for me since this was the first time I got into any details with DI injectors. I won't get into this right now other than to say if you do this make sure they can and will do DI injectors. Much higher pressures involved and there are a lot of the old low pressure port injector setups out there.

Paid to expedite the service and then another puzzle? Remember these were the factory 60K miles injectors that had gone bad on my car. All 8 injectors were good with the worst one flowing about 15% less that the best one on the test bench. After cleaning they were all within 5% of each other. How could this be?

I did not know what to do but since I had paid to rework my stock injectors I went and reinstalled all 8 factory injectors. Again no start! I don't know what happened but after cranking the car multiple times the car stumbles a bit and started! HUGE white clouds of smoke pouring out the drivers side tail pipe and the car is running but still roughly and won't idle. It took 15+ minutes of me revving the engine before I could clear all the white smoke. I am old and have worked on many cars over the decades and I will say I have never seen the level of smoke this car put out! I could not even see across my shop it was so thick.

So in the end what caused my problems? I can't say as I am running the factory injectors and I did install 8 new spark plugs. I have 1500 plus miles on the car with no more problems. I just can't explain why and how the car can go so wrong? I never really found any problems? It does appear that the car flooded the engine with fuel and that's what kept it from starting but why do the injectors work now? Will they flood the engine in the future again?

Last edited by clubairth1; 09-23-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I ran into the exact same thing on my 2014 XJR EXCEPT mine was the drivers side with 2-4-6-8 cylinder miss fires. I also started with just replacing the drivers side injectors and plugs. I left the coils alone. Same as you that when I replaced all this I still had massive miss fires and had plumes of white smoke pouring out the drivers side tail pipe. So on to the passenger side!

After getting all that done. I must say your a very good mechanic if you thought doing the passenger side was not hard? I found it to be a terrible job and I was bloody and sore afterwards!! But now things got even worse!

Before the car would start but run terrible with white smoke poring out the exhaust. Now it won't start at all! With 8 new plugs and 8 new injectors! Cranks fine and no attempt to start at all. I did a compression check (Again difficult to do on these engines!) on all 8 cylinders including adding a small amout of oil and re-running the test. Also checked that the gear fuel pumps were working and I had no fuel pressure codes. Also checked spark on both sides of the engine and every last thing was fine?

Many hours involved going over everything I could think of plus I had my tuner (VAP) as well as a Jaguar Tech helping me. They both convinced me to look at the injectors. So what I did was take my factory injectors and sent them out for cleaning and flow balancing. This turned into another learning experience for me since this was the first time I got into any details with DI injectors. I won't get into this right now other than to say if you do this make sure they can and will do DI. Much higher pressures involved and there are a lot of the old low pressure port injector setups out there.
She starts but runs terrible. Misfires the entire left bank. It’s a V4 basically. Strong gas smell. I could understand and solve if it was ONE cylinder - but all of them? I’m obviously getting fuel, from the smell. It’s got to be a ground or other funny electrical thing. I don’t know. Just going crazy at this point.

With the strut brace removed, it wasn’t HORRIBLE on the passenger side. It was still tight but I wasn’t removing the wiper arms and that shielding.

All I can think to do is pull everything again and start over. I was extremely meticulous with the injectors, plugs and coils. Beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

I bought new OEM everything. New injector clips, super cleaned everything.

Last edited by SuperChargedXJR; 09-23-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I might have missed it but are you still checking for codes everytime?

There was some discussion that I had purchase counterfeit injectors so let me post what I found?

Here is how my OEM injectors were marked. I researched and found the correct Bosch part number so I could cut Jaguar out of the picture. Bosch is the OEM supplier to Jaguar for these injectors. Note the stylized "H". This is for Hella who now owns Bosch.

This is the injector I purchased that claimed to be OEM Bosch and came in Bosch printed boxes.
Very, very close but again note they do NOT have the "H" symbol on them!

There is even some differences in how the numbers are printed if you look closely. See how the OEM ones have a squarish looking zero and the copy has very round looking zero's? Now I never found out if these were counterfeit or not but I think they are?

Last edited by clubairth1; 09-23-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Oh one other thing I hope you don't run into? After I got it all fixed the massive amount of fuel that went thru the engine apparently damaged my catalytic converter and I started getting a P0430 for a low cat efficiency code.

Old 09-23-2024, 09:55 AM

Circled number 939 is also sloppy desing what are typical for counterfeith signs.
Big manufacturer would not let parts out where numbers are under circle.

Old 09-23-2024, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Oh one other thing I hope you don't run into? After I got it all fixed the massive amount of fuel that went thru the engine apparently damaged my catalytic converter and I started getting a P0430 for a low cat efficiency code.
I’ll check tonight but they’re from FPC Euro and are Bosh injectors. I’ll look at the markings tonight but all these parts were almost $1,300. 8 injectors, plugs and coils.

not getting cat codes. Just 0301-2-3-4

Old 09-23-2024, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by SuperChargedXJR
I’ll look at the markings tonight but all these parts were almost $1,300. 8 injectors, plugs and coils.
It might be that your supplier did receive counterfeith part from their suppier? The items might be changed in any point of the deliverychain.
Worth to check. Non quality injectrors might not hold high pressure and leak fuel thru.

Old 09-23-2024, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I am pretty sure you have OEM ones as I also looked at FCP. Mine were $300 for 8 and THAT was a red flag! Seems if you pay around $100 for each one those usually are real parts. Sorry to go off thread but wanted to talk about counterfeit parts. Both VAP and my Jaguar tech said there are tons of counterfeit parts out there.

Good to hear but my cat codes only started after I finally got the car started. Before all I had were multiple cylinder miss fire codes.

Old 09-23-2024, 10:14 AM

It might be that your supplier did receive counterfeith part from their suppier? The items might be changed in any point of the deliverychain.
Worth to check. Non quality injectrors might not hold high pressure and leak fuel thru.
it’s all dry as a bone. It seems like something electrical for EVERYTHING on that bank to be so off. She went from the occasional misfire code, but ran well after warming up, make good power, no smoke, etc. just figured almost 80k miles - time for a good tune up. Swapped the parts - she crapped the bed. Problem is I don’t know where to look or start. Everything’s new. Installed clean and correctly. It should be running perfect.

Old 09-23-2024, 11:27 AM

Hmmm

mm. There’s an H on the box - but not the injector.

Old 09-23-2024, 11:44 AM

I mean leak thru to the cylinder causing flooded mixture.
Hmm.. Watching the pics and it dosent look good. Spot the circled number 939.
Thats what they do: Somebody in deliverychain swap pirate parts to the original boxes and keep original products to sell them in eBay etc without boxes. Pirate parts inside original boxes then continue to their destination and it can take months/years before this is found out by poor fellow who bought OEM parts.
I quess we have found the issue.

Old 09-23-2024, 11:48 AM

I mean leak thru to the cylinder causing flooded mixture.
Hmm.. Watching the pics and it dosent look good. Spot the circled number 939.
Thats what they do: Somebody in deliverychain swap pirate parts to the original boxes and keep original products to sell them in eBay etc without boxes. Pirate parts inside original boxes then continue to their destination and it can take months/years before this is found out by poor fellow who bought OEM parts.
I quess we have found the issue.
so the problem you’re thinking is I’ve got injectors that are essentially no good???

Old 09-23-2024, 12:08 PM

Yes.
Fuel Injectrors for gasoline engines are basicly very fast valves working under high pressure. If the valve cant hold the pressure, it leaks thru or valve itself is not made with pression openings it should be to give out x amount of fuel on that short cycle EMC opens the valve: you might be so much out of the chart that ECM cant correct it. (Exsample on idle injector should give out tiny bit of fine spray of fuel, but instead it release squirt amount of teaspoon what do not ignite by spark at all)
Note: The boxes could be original but parts inside can be changed in some spot of deliverychain.
However: Here are Bosch instructions how detect genuine parts (but like said: Parts can be swapped from boxes)
https://www.boschaftermarket.com/xc/en/keysecure
Contact the seller to get parts replaced.

Edit: Check this too:

Last edited by Vasara; 09-23-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:12 PM

Yes.
Fuel Injectrors for gasoline engines are basicly very fast valves working under high pressure. If the valve cant hold the pressure, it leaks thru or valve itself is not made with pression openings it should be to give out x amount of fuel on that short cycle EMC opens the valve: you might be so much out of the chart that ECM cant correct it. (Exsample on idle injector should give out tiny bit of fine spray of fuel, but instead it release squirt amount of teaspoon what do not ignite by spark at all)
Note: The boxes could be original but parts inside can be changed in some spot of deliverychain.
However: Here are Bosh instructions how detect genuine parts (but like said: Parts can be swapped from boxes)
https://www.boschaftermarket.com/xc/en/keysecure
Contact the seller to get parts replaced.
my box has no hologram or security number.

Old 09-23-2024, 12:20 PM

Ohh.. Contact the seller.

Old 09-23-2024, 12:21 PM

Ohh.. Contact the seller.
yeah, they’re getting all 8 back and I’m sourcing locally so I can check the hologram and actual parts. This is insane. Never in my life…

Old 09-23-2024, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

My injectors were shipped in identical boxes to yours. I also think yours are counterfeit based on my pictures and yours?

Quick Reply: Need help with misfire. 2015 XJR.