XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Need Jacking Pucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Jacking Pucks

Where can I get jacking pucks for a 2015 Jaguar XJL or are they even available?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Rsmith, you should not need jacking pucks for your car. I Have a standard 2-3/4 ton high lift floor jack and I have no issues jacking my car up to get under it.

A quick look and I don't see anyone selling them specifically for Jaguars in general. If you feel like you need something like that, then I have a feeling you are most likely going to need to get something for say a Corvette and then do the necessary modifications to make them stay on the Jag.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Rsmith, looking, I cannot find any "manufactured" lifting pucks for our cars. With that being said, I also did some youtube looking and found that most people are using something like say a 2x4 with a slot cut in it to place over the spot welded seam on the underside of the body. You can also cut a custom piece of wood to fit into the lifting point under the car. Some people even go as far as to take an actual hockey puck, drill a hole in the center to add an eyelet to allow them to slide it into a hole on the frame of the car so the hockey puck will not move. Then the hockey puck fits into the recess of your jack to ensure that nothing slides as you are lifting the car.

NOw, for the downsides. The wood blocks are cheap and easy to get your hands on. But, as with any wood, the grain of the wood is the weak link here. So, you need to make sure that the wood is placed in the correct orientation. In this case, you want the wood grain going side to side of the car (ie, the dark grain runs side to side, not front to back). This will minimize the chance of the wood spliting as it takes the weight of the car. As for the hockey puck, there is no grain. So, if you place a small item under/on top of the hockey puck, this will focus the weight of the car on to a very limited location and cause the puck to crack, possibly resulting in the car shifting.

As for getting a machined puck to fit into a slot on the underside of the car, I will have to look at mine and see what the options are. I am on travel, so, it will be a few days before I will be able to look at mine and see what the options are. But, you may want to look at the pucks sold for Corvettes and see if that might be something that would work for our cars.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I know its probably best to have a hockey puck, but I just did brakes on my 2011 XJL, and I used a combination Of jack stands and my rolling floor jack. I placed it right on the factory seam, at the jack pints, and no damage was done that I can see. The car was also in a flat garage and I went easy jacking it up. I do see the need for something's as I've jacked up my wife's audi so many times that the rail has been all bent to hell. But I went slow on the jag and kept an eye on it.

I should not that my floor jack has a few small slots in it that I was able to get around the flat rail and maybe that helped.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Slightly different car but I always use wood to help spread the load. (And did the same with previous cars.) Otherwise the actual contact points take all the weight (so, far more).