XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New '13 XJL Key Fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New '13 XJL Key Fob issues

I picked up my XJL about a month ago and have absolutely been loving this experience. The car is just plain fantastic. Supple, gorgeous, and sleek.

I ran into my first problem with her this morning... I ran to the grocery store to grab some coffee (we ran out). I first noticed that the doors did not lock when I pushed the lock button. Then using the fob, it wouldn't recognize the commands. Long story short, after I ran in to grab the coffee (left the car unlocked, yikes!) it took me about 20 minutes to get the damned thing started again. Read throughout he manual and followed the instructions, but it took many many tries to accept the fob and start the engine. I figured the battery might be low...

Got home and shut her down. Same thing. Does not recognize the fob. I grabbed my second fob and the same thing!!! Seems like the problem is on the car side... Manual just says to call your local dealer. Crap!

Of course, I live in Michigan and no Jag dealers are open on the weekends! Double crap.

Has anyone else had this issue? I searched the forum and didn't see much of anything related to the fobs. Is there something I can do, or do I need to rearrange my work schedule on Monday to get to the dealer???

Thanks!

-Kyle

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Default Jaguar Service needs to step up it's game!

I have to say that I just expected more from a brand like Jaguar. Don't get me wrong... they were all very nice, but they miss the mark in my opinion.

They claimed that they "have never seen this particular issue". Both keys did not work. I brought the car to them running and noted for them to not shut it off before they take it in the back. Guess what they did? Yep. Stupid. Then the TECH couldn't even get it started... They were surprised I could even have started it to get it there, and they would have called a flat bed.

I was at the grocery store when this happened. They said to call Jaguar Roadside assistance to get the car picked up. I asked "what about me? Can someone give me a ride home?" His answer: That's not covered... Wrong answer.

Both keys were "not found" by the car. I don't think this is a coincidence and since my profession happens to be automotive electronics, I will tell you what happened. The module in the car more than likely had a memory error and wiped both keys at the same time. It's not a fob issue... it is a SW or module issue.

The dealer installed new batteries in both remotes (less than one month old) and reprogrammed them both to the car. Car seems to be happy enough, although it took about an hour to do this. I hop in the car and immediately notice that the window does not "one touch up" and a bunch of settings are all screwed up. Back into the back of the shop for more tweaks... I leave the dealership with the clock being totally off, degrees in C, but at least the radio was still connected to Pandora! Ha!

With my background, I expect this to happen again. Damnit. Not looking forward to that.

The shop manager gave me his card and cell number for future issues. They offer a service to bring out a loaner and pickup the XJL for service... But he did note that he would have had to flat bed my car into the shop if this happens again.

So, my question to other XJ owners out there... How many times did you have to take this beast into the shop when new? Did you have better experiences with Service than I did?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's impressive. How can this happen with a car in this price range?

Sorry I can't add to the solution in this thread. Seems to be a software issue. I don't know why Jaguar doesn't third party their infotainment and electric systems to some Japanese company like NippoDenso, etc... They'd have one of the best cars on the road, perhaps *the* best in the category. The British and the Italians just don't know electrics / electronics. They know design.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM

We talked a lot about it at work today... Quite frankly it is simple economics. The more expensive the vehicle and finishings, typically the less engineering man hours are placed into the vehicle. Think about it this way... If you are willing to pay for fine leather, carbon fiber, and polished aluminum, it is fairly easy to make the parts. However, if you are shaving every darn cent out of a high volume production part, you spend countless man hours honing and refining. Honestly, it is the economy cars that see the most engineering refinement and man hours. Cars like this Jag just don't get enough attention in some places.... Sure, they can re-use parts across the product line, but Jag is still a low volume niche player.

I am more concerned with the quality of service. After all, that is a good portion of what I am paying for. A luxury car and people to stand by it to make sure that everything works as expected. I may have to take concierge up on that loaner drop off the next time she does this. As long as the $300 towing charge is on them...

Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened to my 2012 XJL as well. Supposedly, there is a sensor below the power button (with some slots that look like a vent) and if you place your smart key against it, it may sense it better in a situation like this. Not sure if it is true.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My car let me accidentally lock the keys in the car twice when I had it. Had to get a locksmith to break into my house so I could get the spare.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
My car let me accidentally lock the keys in the car twice when I had it. Had to get a locksmith to break into my house so I could get the spare.
Uh...oh... did that happen with the 2011+ XJ(L)?

It happened 3 times with my '08XK, the car locking me out while the key-FOB was inside. I thought that the XJL did not suffer from this risk. Does it?

Albert