XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New 2014 XJR Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts
Default New 2014 XJR Owner!

I thought I would brag a little as I just picked up what I think is a very handsome 2014 XJR.

I have had a S Type R for over 100K miles and about 5-6 years. First Jag ever and was very surprised at how good a car it was. I expected massive repairs and planned to dump it as soon as the factory warranty ran out. Funny thing was I kept it until 125K miles and it still is a great car.

Wanted an XFR in Kyanite blue but I missed a 2012 about 2 years ago and just could not find what I wanted. Never even considered an XJR.

That was my mistake!

Here she is;

Italian racing red with a London tan/Jet interior. Illuminated sill option, Carbon Fiber Option. Missing the adaptive cruise and the back side window shades as well as the massively expensive rear reclining seat option. Not sure why you would get that in an XJR since the real treat is in driving it?

Still can't find a list of available options for 2014 so not sure if anything else is missing?

2014 with about 20K miles and a CPO warranty until August 2019 or 100K miles. Still wanted some factory protection so I can get known problems fixed. Like the water pumps, Roof creaking, SC Isolator noise. Really don't see too many problems that bother me other than the creaking roof. So far mine is silent.

Seeing some engine failures and timing chain problems but have read the 2014 and up 5.0L engines have some upgraded parts so we will see.

To say that it drives well is really an understatement! It's very quiet so the massive power is not evident until you hit the gas!!

550HP + 8 Speed transmission = No waiting ever!
And I though my STR was fast!

The following users liked this post:
zkanon (12-24-2018)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Beautiful car. I am sure you will enjoy it. Hope you are good friends with the people at the tire store.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

LOVE the XJR and the color combo.
I'm pretty sure the carbon fiber veneer and engine cover were expensive options. If you build one today the carbon fiber engine cover alone is a $2k option.

You have any plans to make it faster lol??

Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to greet another XJR owner! I picked up a 2015 XJL a few weeks ago. It is one incredible car to drive!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

What a beautiful car!
Maybe a rude question (and feel free to PM me if you prefer) but what did you actually pay for it? Same to Verdeo too

Happy motoring. I'm sure you'll love it!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well funny you should ask?

I have already contacted VelocityAP. Talking about a lower pulley and tune. Apparently I have the Bosch ECM in my 2014? This is considered a better and more tunable ECM and numbers above 600HP are being thrown about.

But first I have to figure out how to operate everything! Way too much stuff!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! Does your Italian Racing Red XJR have a flashing blue light detector? You'll need it - it's a cop magnet. Mine with "only" 470HP is overkill, and I can only imagine what it would be like with 550 ir 600HP on tap. Unless you're going to take it to the strip, there's almost nowhere around here to use that power with all the traffic. Still, it's a blast to drive. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I do plan a few strip runs but mainly just for fun and to see what it will do.

Yes I will need to adjust my driving habits but I am very pleased with the stock sound?
Mine has a very nice purr or burr when you get on it. I get a traction control light when I floor it at 60 mph!

Have not tried the TracDSC setting yet and only barely tried the S mode on the shift knob.

I stopped running radar detectors years ago. They work but I don't need any encouragement to speed and they tend to make me feel over confident.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s one hell of a nice looking car
my dream car

Old 08-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks much!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a year of owning have you had any major problems with the Xjr? Im Considering getting a 2014 with cpo as well. Thanks for any info.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Oribera
After a year of owning have you had any major problems with the Xjr? Im Considering getting a 2014 with cpo as well. Thanks for any info.
I'm coming up on one year of ownership of my XJSC, which is the same exact engine as the XJR. During the past year, I've put about 15k miles on it and I'm coming up on 100k very quickly. ZERO problems with the car, except for normal wear and tear maintenance items, like new brakes and a pair of suspension control arms. I bought the car with a small leak in the oil pan gasket which was a very easy and cheap DIY fix (which the CPO warranty refused to cover).

Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

It's kind of unreal? I am old and have had a LOT of cars over the years. This is the ONLY one I have ever had that so far (1-1/2 years and about 15K miles) that has not had one single problem?
I have been to the dealer exactly one time to get the magic juice oil changed. No light bulbs out, no rattles/sqeaks-just nothing!

It was nice because the tech and one of their salesman both came looking for me and said that would be the Jag they would own.
Ran the Texas Mile several months back and hit 167.2 mph. Got 8 runs in. That did use a bit of oil and I am down about 1/4 L according to the oil sensor.

At the line waiting to run.

This is a great view. Nothing but open runway, Blue sky and 600HP!
I have a VAP tune now. Want to add the lower pulley but Stuart with VAP warned against it because of the hot weather where I live.

Oh I forgot but you can see I added the later model LED headlights and that is something everyone could use. Looks good and much better lights. I can see!

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-20-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zkanon (12-24-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I'm coming up on one year of ownership of my XJSC, which is the same exact engine as the XJR. During the past year, I've put about 15k miles on it and I'm coming up on 100k very quickly. ZERO problems with the car, except for normal wear and tear maintenance items, like new brakes and a pair of suspension control arms. I bought the car with a small leak in the oil pan gasket which was a very easy and cheap DIY fix (which the CPO warranty refused to cover).
great to hear. Not so much about the cpo. Either way positive info. Thanks

Old 12-20-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
It's kind of unreal? I am old and have had a LOT of cars over the years. This is the ONLY one I have ever had that so far (1-1/2 years and about 15K miles) that has not had one single problem?
I have been to the dealer exactly one time to get the magic juice oil changed. No light bulbs out, no rattles/sqeaks-just nothing!

It was nice because the tech and one of their salesman both came looking for me and said that would be the Jag they would own.
Ran the Texas Mile several months back and hit 167.2 mph. Got 8 runs in. That did use a bit of oil and I am down about 1/4 L according to the oil sensor.

At the line waiting to run.

This is a great view. Nothing but open runway, Blue sky and 600HP!
I have a VAP tune now. Want to add the lower pulley but Stuart with VAP warned against it because of the hot weather where I live.

Oh I forgot but you can see I added the later model LED headlights and that is something everyone could use. Looks good and much better lights. I can see!
legit pics. And Great positive info. Thanks for the responses !!!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
For me, having to have a pair of control arms is what I call "unfair wear and tear", as these things don't last as long as they really should for a modern car. They are not cheap to replace, either.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
For me, having to have a pair of control arms is what I call "unfair wear and tear", as these things don't last as long as they really should for a modern car. They are not cheap to replace, either.
Well, they did last 80k miles and only cost about $200 for the pair, if you DIY. How long can you expect rubber bushings to really last?

Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

XJ8JR did you DIY those arms yourself? Did you follow any instructions or just did it?

That's what I try to do to if possible. Jaguar makes it hard to get service info since they now use a subscription based method.
I do have a couple of XJ and XF manuals and they are HUGE! 8700 pages. Hard to find stuff in them too!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
XJ8JR did you DIY those arms yourself? Did you follow any instructions or just did it?

That's what I try to do to if possible. Jaguar makes it hard to get service info since they now use a subscription based method.
I do have a couple of XJ and XF manuals and they are HUGE! 8700 pages. Hard to find stuff in them too!
Yes I DIYed it. It took maybe 2 hours. I rebuilt most of the suspension on my old X350, so the procedures are pretty much the same on the X351. At first glance, the parts themselves may look the same but there are in fact small differences.

The search function is necessary to find anything in those manuals! But all the info you need is there.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ8JR:
clubairth1 (12-30-2018), zkanon (12-24-2018)