XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New 2016 XJ Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default New 2016 XJ Sedans

I have a 2014 XJL Portfolio. I love this car, and have 9500 miles on it. It is a beauty.

I have been keeping my eyes on the new xj's that are soon to be released. I am looking at them because of a few things that interest me. When I bought mine, I settled for the options, which are good, but wanted other things, like adaptive lighting, more powerful Meridian system etc.

1. - When are the new 2016 models about to be released?
2. - When do you think they will be promoting them, if at all.
3. - Does my logic make sense that I want to change due to:

Much better technology
1300 watt Meridian system
looking at the 8 cyl., if it is in AWD only

What is your thinking on 16 vs. 14?

Thanks,
Appreciate your inputs (my other toy is a 15 F-type S :-) )

Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

slojotaa, if you are after AWD, then you may want to wait a little bit longer. While I was in London for the Feel XE event, I got to talk to a lot of the Jaguar higher ups and engineers. As a little birdie told me, there is plans for a supercharged version of the XJ in AWD. It should make 458 hp in that variation. No date as to when that was going to be released, but if they release it, that might tempt me into going AWD again.

As for your actual question, I would find it hard to make the change knowing the price difference between the two vehicles. It is a large price difference for what I consider small changes. Granted, if it is something that you really want, then go for it.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
slojotaa, if you are after AWD, then you may want to wait a little bit longer. While I was in London for the Feel XE event, I got to talk to a lot of the Jaguar higher ups and engineers. As a little birdie told me, there is plans for a supercharged version of the XJ in AWD. It should make 458 hp in that variation. No date as to when that was going to be released, but if they release it, that might tempt me into going AWD again.

As for your actual question, I would find it hard to make the change knowing the price difference between the two vehicles. It is a large price difference for what I consider small changes. Granted, if it is something that you really want, then go for it.
I am leaning in the same direction. Price/value, and although a few changes and options would be included, the cost would be prohibitive. The AWD 8 feels like something worth waiting for, and then add the options that I want, and it makes the pain a bit more manageable. Thanks for the perspective, and make it a great week!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait till 2017 and search for a low mileage pre-owned 2016 model w/ all of the options, etc. that you want.

slojotaa (10-31-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The 2016 was suppose to start showing up at dealerships this month. Has any dealership reported receiving any?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Not mine as I drove by yesterday and even looked in the new car lot, but they did have several new XFs

Old 11-14-2015, 03:55 PM

2016 Jaguar XJL Portfolio - Long-Wheelbase Sedan | Jaguar USA

check out the 2016 XJL. May have to sell the house to get the new top of the line Portfolio (chuckle/laugh)

Old 11-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I think JLR USA missed the boat by not offering the Autobiography model here as it would be a model that rises above the "regular" luxo market and fits the XJ in a slot between that and the Bentley. just MHO

Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
I think JLR USA missed the boat by not offering the Autobiography model here as it would be a model that rises above the "regular" luxo market and fits the XJ in a slot between that and the Bentley. just MHO
Good point.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:11 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently had the chance to have some time in the new 2016 XJL 3.0 AWD at the Miami International Auto Show. The car looked stunning in the new color "Aurora Red Metallic". This color replaces the now discontinued Caviar metallic but is close. Maybe a bit more flake in the paint and slightly lighter.

The new lights look sensational; the fronts in particular. I'm not sure I prefer the new diamond stitching pattern on the leather or not. Color could make a difference here. The new front clip is also very nice and the subtle changes to the rear do break it up nicely.

Electronics weren't powered up to have a real go-through for touch response, but the new pod/gauges look good but a bit more busy.

I wasn't left with a gotta-have-one feeling or 2016 model envy. But I appreciate that they did not mess up the original. Nice design evolution as usual from Jag. Its freshened classy looks will undoubtedly keep heads turning on the street.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoonieQ:
retriever-007 (11-19-2015), slojotaa (01-05-2016)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Thanks RoonieQ for this viewpoint on the new Jaguar. I'm going to start checking the dealerships also just to see what's up.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

from what i heard only the 6 cylinder cars come in AWD because there's not enough room for 8 cylinders and the AWD gear

slojotaa (11-28-2015)
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Out of curiosity I did a little searching and saw where a few dealerships in California and New Jersey had quite a few 2016 Jag XJ and XJL's in their inventory. Personally I am not overly fond of the black grill, colored stitching on the seats and chrome strip on the front air vents on the 2016.
The two things that I like about the 2016 is the remote start and Meridain Surround which is now a standard feature.
I have been working with a company that can install remote start with phone app on my car but now that remote start is on the 2016 Jag, I am wondering if the parts needed will be able to be obtained from parts and installed on my Jag.
If I could get all the parts for the remote start and phone app from Jag there is no doubt in my mind that the company that I am speaking with could install them. Odds are this will just have to be something to get on my next Jag but I am seriously thinking that I will probably keep this present car for longer than two or three years.

Last edited by MHT; 01-02-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Not a fan of the new rectangular rather than round headlights, new LED tail-lights, new chrome inserts in the lower side air intakes, new oval tail pipe extensions of the XJL, nor the quilted seats, the premium rear seat package looks, or the forward protruding front head rests.

The XJR exterior with its gloss black grill, lower side air intakes, window surrounds and "power vents", plus the quad tail pipe extensions and trunk lip, obvious aimed at the "younger" market are, in my opinion, all as tasteless as putting racing stripes on a Rolls Royce.

Change for the sake of change, especially when combined with a "standard V6" engine, provides no incentives for me to buy a 2016 Jaguar XJ(L).

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 01-03-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen a 2016 XJ in the flesh already - Jaguar Lisbon had one.

How is it ? Great instrument cluster, nav system is superb and the front led lights are very very nice.

However, and since I have a 2014 Portfolio, I dont lust for it - first, because I have a 2014 model and therefore the 8 speed gearbox and on top of that, because I have the Portfolio model - which has its fair share of toys already.

If I had a 2011/2012 model, I could be really tempted - 8 speed box plus all this new features.

But as I stand, not really - or at least, not worth the finantial investment.

Would it be nice ? You bet. If I could do a direct swap ( in my dreams of course ) I would do it in a heartbeat. But going into expense for doing it so ? Nope.

Again, if I had a previous model ( 2012 or less ) and with a lesser trim ( Premium ), I problably would think differently.

The following 2 users liked this post by Goncalo Proenca:
retriever-007 (01-12-2016), slojotaa (02-03-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca
I've seen a 2016 XJ in the flesh already - Jaguar Lisbon had one.

Would it be nice ? You bet. If I could do a direct swap ( in my dreams of course ) I would do it in a heartbeat. But going into expense for doing it so ? Nope.

Again, if I had a previous model ( 2012 or less ) and with a lesser trim ( Premium ), I problably would think differently.
Interesting that you should state this. I haven't seen it, but the "upgrades" from a 14 Portfolio for me are just not worth the change, nor the c$ange! What I have is plenty good for me, and I drive a tough bargain on what I drive, i.e. the stereo (base Meridian sounds very nice in the XJL), or the technological flexibility (plenty in this car). The Navigation is ok, and the dash "control booth" is really nice. And lastly the look is fabulous!

Therefore, I need to wait for a "super sized" change to this, or a few years to justify the change. Now a swap, as you state for merely a few "k", and I mean a few, as in a couple would be nice, but the dream just ended on writing this :-)!

Well said by you, which caught my attention.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by retriever-007
May have to sell the house to get the new top of the line Portfolio (chuckle/laugh)
I've never been to your house, but I know your house will appreciate more than the Portfolio, even though you may appreciate the Portfolio more!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa

Much better technology
1300 watt Meridian system
looking at the 8 cyl., if it is in AWD only
It all depends on what's the most important to you. If it's the audio, then the 2013 Range Rover HSE hit the grand slam with 1700-watt Meridian and 29 speakers, plus it will climb the Inca Trail and survive the El Niņo floods.

slojotaa (01-05-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
Robert,

It seems to me that there was not a good business case to be made for selling the Autobiography model in North America. The Autobiography's predecessor, the 2013 Jaguar XJL Ultimate, apparently did not sell well here. If it had, I think JLR USA would have offered the Autobiography model here.

Galpin Jaguar in Van Nuys, CA still has two virtually brand new 2013 XJL Ultimate models for sale, one with 81 miles and the other with 115 miles. 2013 Jaguar XJ Ultimate on Cars.com If a high-end luxury car doesn't sell in California, what does that tell you?

Stuart

Old 01-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Galpin Jaguar in Van Nuys, CA still has two virtually brand new 2013 XJL Ultimate models for sale, one with 81 miles and the other with 115 miles. 2013 Jaguar XJ Ultimate on Cars.com If a high-end luxury car doesn't sell in California, what does that tell you?
It tells me that most people who are in the money did not arrive at that position by throwing money away in the form of depreciation. From your cars.com link, comparing the still-new 2013 XJL Ultimate with a slightly used one shows a whopping $20k price drop.
I predict the two 'virtually new' XJL Ultimates will be sitting in the showroom for a long while.

Quick Reply: New 2016 XJ Sedans