XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New 2016 XJ Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

While the Ultimate may have been Jaguars attempt at the ultimate XJ they were all built at one time and only offered a choice of 2 interior colors and everything else was the same including the outside color. The Autobiography (similar to the SuperSport did) offers 17 exterior colors, 9 wheel choices, 7 interior choices, 6 wood verniers, 2 steering wheel choices, and 2 headliner color choices. So in IMHO the reason the Ultimate failed was lack of individuality that the customer could select at a premium price, but easy for a dealer to order and put on the floor. The Autobiography by virtue of its customization is not attractive for a dealer to order for inventory, but if offered on a custom order basis would be an attraction for those that can afford it and are willing to wait for what they want, just as Range Rover Autobiography buyers are. Lastly, I think, it would be seen by XJ buyers WOW if I want it and can afford it it's out there and lends the XJ at any level cache.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Does the 2016 still have that ridiculous LCD display for the instrument cluster?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by XJsss
While the Ultimate may have been Jaguars attempt at the ultimate XJ they were all built at one time and only offered a choice of 2 interior colors and everything else was the same including the outside color. The Autobiography (similar to the SuperSport did) offers 17 exterior colors, 9 wheel choices, 7 interior choices, 6 wood verniers, 2 steering wheel choices, and 2 headliner color choices. So in IMHO the reason the Ultimate failed was lack of individuality that the customer could select at a premium price, but easy for a dealer to order and put on the floor. The Autobiography by virtue of its customization is not attractive for a dealer to order for inventory, but if offered on a custom order basis would be an attraction for those that can afford it and are willing to wait for what they want, just as Range Rover Autobiography buyers are. Lastly, I think, it would be seen by XJ buyers WOW if I want it and can afford it it's out there and lends the XJ at any level cache.
That's interesting - just like my 2009 XKR Portfolio; one exterior color and only a few other options. I knew the Ultimate had limited options but didn't realize that the Autobiography would be the opposite. You might be right but, unless the materials for those myriad choices were already available within the JLR inventory, to do so might still be a tough business case to make. We're both speculating, and the reality is that it's not going to happen any time soon. But it would have been nice - I agree that it would increase the brand's cache (snob appeal). At that price level, I'd seriously consider a Bentley. The Autobiography worked for Land Rover because Bentley didn't offer an SUV. Now that it does, how will that affect Land Rover sales? Time will tell.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Stuart, the Autobiography is offered in many countries around the world and as close as Jamaica. So Jag has all the pieces and it could be as simple as a special order here in the USA. The prices are about the same as the XJR fully tricked out and about a 100k less than Bentley starts at. I'll bet the Bentley SUV, built on the Cayenne chassis nee VW Toureg will be also priced in the stratosphere.

Last edited by XJsss; 01-06-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts

Since Jaguar already offers it in other markets, it seems to me that it's a no-brainer for Jaguar to offer it here as a Special Order only. There's little incremental cost to do so and it would add a ton of prestige to the brand.

Each Flying B emblem must add $25K to the price.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I have a 2014 XJL Portfolio. I love this car, and have 9500 miles on it. It is a beauty.

I have been keeping my eyes on the new xj's that are soon to be released. I am looking at them because of a few things that interest me. When I bought mine, I settled for the options, which are good, but wanted other things, like adaptive lighting, more powerful Meridian system etc.

1. - When are the new 2016 models about to be released?
2. - When do you think they will be promoting them, if at all.
3. - Does my logic make sense that I want to change due to:

Much better technology
1300 watt Meridian system
looking at the 8 cyl., if it is in AWD only

What is your thinking on 16 vs. 14?

Thanks,
Appreciate your inputs (my other toy is a 15 F-type S :-) )
I too am thinking about trading for a 2016 XJ. I would like to have the Merridian Surround System as well as the remote start with phone app.
My hold up is the loss in trade as my dealer has already quoted me a trade difference and I would take a nice size hit.
I found a company that can install a remote start with phone app, which would be the best way to go financially but my thought is I would probably be better off with an OEM unit and getting the Surround Sound in the 2016.
To add fuel to the fire another dealer has a 2016 just the way I like.

Last edited by MHT; 02-02-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT
I too am thinking about trading for a 2016 XJ. I would like to have the Merridian Surround System as well as the remote start with phone app.
There are 3 Meridian configurations for Jaguar--

Meridian base (380watts/14 speakers)
Meridian Surround (825watts/20 speakers)
Meridian Reference Surround (1300watts/26 speakers)

And then there is an even higher system for Range Rover--

Meridian Signature Reference (1700watts/29 speakers)

There is a review in the hardcore audiophile blog "Absolute Sound" proclaiming the Meridian Surround as the "Best car audio system in the world", while acknowledging it's only the middle system.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 02-02-2016, 11:20 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
There are 3 Meridian configurations for Jaguar--

Meridian base (380watts/14 speakers)
Meridian Surround (825watts/20 speakers)
Meridian Reference Surround (1300watts/26 speakers)

And then there is an even higher system for Range Rover--

Meridian Signature Reference (1700watts/29 speakers)

There is a review in the hardcore audiophile blog "Absolute Sound" proclaiming the Meridian Surround as the "Best car audio system in the world", while acknowledging it's only the middle system.

Cheers,
Wolfy
I know, I have the Meridian Base 380 watt.

Thank you