XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Engine misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Engine misfiring

I unfortunately got myself into a money pit last December. I bought a 2014 XJL Portfolio 3.0 Supercharged. After buying I learned the history of the car in less than 40K, the fuel pump, water pump, and cooling reservoir have been replaced. Water pump in July of last year and cooling reservoir in October. About a month ago, I the car died on me about 150 miles away from home. I saw a coolant low light and it died before I could somewhere to look at it. I know now I should have pulled over and had a tow. Mechanic found a coolant leak that was likely there when I bought the car and it had an oil leak that had a lot of oil in the pan. Dealer sticks with we inspected the busted shock mount squeaking on day 1, coolant leak, and oil leak must have happened after I drove it off the lot according to them. Extended warranty paid over $20K to replace the engine with a brand new factory engine from Jaguar. I picked the car up last Monday drove it 150 miles home. After about another 30 miles in town on Thursday CEL blinks and stays on and it is idling rough. First shop thinks it is a timing issue maybe the chain. Second shop wants to open the engine and inspect the timing. Extended warranty says the cost should be on Jaguar because engine is warrantied or on the shop if they did something wrong. Still no one knows for sure what is happening.

Codes are random misfire don't remember the code exactly but that is the description, again don't remember the code but the description was fuel level sensor, and the mechanic told me BS1 P0016-06 camshift position sensor bank 1 I think was the description. I am also concerned because this comes up as a generic code but not on the Jaguar codes I saw on a PDF on this forum. Makes me wonder if the shop has the dealer computers or a computer system that may not pick up Jaguar codes right even if the shop specializes in Jaguar and Mini. This is really frustrating because no one can give an answer if it is an engine problem or if the shop that did the engine swap did something wrong. If it is the engine I need Jaguar to look at. If it was a shop error they are liable.

Anyway, any ideas on what the cause maybe? I really don't know if they have checked the electrical connections or what they have done other than looking at codes and hearing the knock sounding like it is coming from behind the belts. This is just beyond frustrating because it looks like I have to take it to a 3rd shop and probably will have pay the 2nd shop a diagnostic fee like I did the first shop who said that will be $136 to tell you we can't fix it.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 PM

Just a note called the shop in Austin. They suggested not opening the engine but checking the fuel injectors. One melted when the old engine overheated and they replaced it. They soaked the rest in BG 44 before reinstall. I called the Houston shop and asked if they could look at the fuel injectors they said they weren't getting any lean or rich fuel mixture codes. Could one or more injector still be a problem if there are no lean or rich codes? Also Houston shop says the Austin shop could have missed a step in engine install but didn't tell me what that would be. They also did say they checked to see if that step wasn't done.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If the engine ran correctly at some point after the installation I'd say no steps were missed. But I do think they shop that installed the engine should take a look. Didn't they offer any installation warranty?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM

I spoke with the shop that the install but haven't asked about the install warranty. I think they would fix if it was their error. The problem is 150 miles away from where I live the incident leading to a new engine happened when I was travelling for business. So I would need to arrange transport. There is a real possibility I pay for transport and the problem is something with the engine that is covered under the Jaguar warranty for the part. Then Jaguar would want to look at again and have it moved again. If the problem turns out to be not with the new engine or the installation then my extended warranty covers. I think I am covered regardless but the logistics of the sensible move to have the shop that did the work look at is difficult with the mileage between me and the shop. I may have to eat the diagnostic costs and send it to the dealer. They could do the work for the Jaguar part warranty or the extended warranty if it is something like a fuel injector. Yet it would be much more expensive if it is the shop that installed mistake.

That is why this is so frustrating. What the final diagnosis is determines who pays but if they have to break down the engine to check timing it could be a lot of money to determine what the problem is. I was hoping maybe with the codes the mechanics missed something a board member would be able to see.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I suggest you keep this a problem of the shop that installed the engine. There should be some parts and labor warranty associated with this job as the issue happened in less that 200 miles. Don't make it your problem.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjweatherby
I unfortunately got myself into a money pit last December. I bought a 2014 XJL Portfolio 3.0 Supercharged. After buying I learned the history of the car in less than 40K, the fuel pump, water pump, and cooling reservoir have been replaced. Water pump in July of last year and cooling reservoir in October. About a month ago, I the car died on me about 150 miles away from home. I saw a coolant low light and it died before I could somewhere to look at it. I know now I should have pulled over and had a tow. Mechanic found a coolant leak that was likely there when I bought the car and it had an oil leak that had a lot of oil in the pan. Dealer sticks with we inspected the busted shock mount squeaking on day 1, coolant leak, and oil leak must have happened after I drove it off the lot according to them. Extended warranty paid over $20K to replace the engine with a brand new factory engine from Jaguar. I picked the car up last Monday drove it 150 miles home. After about another 30 miles in town on Thursday CEL blinks and stays on and it is idling rough. First shop thinks it is a timing issue maybe the chain. Second shop wants to open the engine and inspect the timing. Extended warranty says the cost should be on Jaguar because engine is warrantied or on the shop if they did something wrong. Still no one knows for sure what is happening.

Codes are random misfire don't remember the code exactly but that is the description, again don't remember the code but the description was fuel level sensor, and the mechanic told me BS1 P0016-06 camshift position sensor bank 1 I think was the description. I am also concerned because this comes up as a generic code but not on the Jaguar codes I saw on a PDF on this forum. Makes me wonder if the shop has the dealer computers or a computer system that may not pick up Jaguar codes right even if the shop specializes in Jaguar and Mini. This is really frustrating because no one can give an answer if it is an engine problem or if the shop that did the engine swap did something wrong. If it is the engine I need Jaguar to look at. If it was a shop error they are liable.

Anyway, any ideas on what the cause maybe? I really don't know if they have checked the electrical connections or what they have done other than looking at codes and hearing the knock sounding like it is coming from behind the belts. This is just beyond frustrating because it looks like I have to take it to a 3rd shop and probably will have pay the 2nd shop a diagnostic fee like I did the first shop who said that will be $136 to tell you we can't fix it.

Hey There. Had a misfiring incident after servicing. Turns out ECU failed. Swopped the ECU and everything worked fine. Probably its just the ECU.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks. I have it at the dealer now. The first mechanic I think just pulled codes and listened to the engine and wanted to tear it down to check timing. Hopefully the dealer will check the coils, wires, injectors etc. before recommending paying for 20+ hours to take off the timing cover. Not sure if it is the problem but I don't think the fuel filter has been changed. So I am asking them to do that as well. I might get lucky and that be it. I keep going back to the seafoam improved the performance. Even though a misfire happened after it wasn't shaking near as bad. The improvement seems to point to a fuel related problem to me. Then again I have never worked on a Jaguar. I worked on my old Mercedes CLK-350 some but it was just a headlight assembly change, spark plugs, the pump for the windshield wiper fluid type stuff.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jjweatherby
Thanks. I have it at the dealer now. The first mechanic I think just pulled codes and listened to the engine and wanted to tear it down to check timing. Hopefully the dealer will check the coils, wires, injectors etc. before recommending paying for 20+ hours to take off the timing cover. Not sure if it is the problem but I don't think the fuel filter has been changed. So I am asking them to do that as well. I might get lucky and that be it. I keep going back to the seafoam improved the performance. Even though a misfire happened after it wasn't shaking near as bad. The improvement seems to point to a fuel related problem to me. Then again I have never worked on a Jaguar. I worked on my old Mercedes CLK-350 some but it was just a headlight assembly change, spark plugs, the pump for the windshield wiper fluid type stuff.
Sea Foam = Snake Oil