XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Interior Wood Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Interior Wood Help

I would like to replace the interior wood in my 2014 XJL.

Does anyone know of any pre-cut kits for this vehicle?

Thanks in advance

OLD TIGER

Old 09-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Old Tiger, I would look at a local wood worker and see what they can do for you. The wood trim is just a veneer as I recall. It is only like a 1/16" thick. If you pull the pieces, I am sure a decent wood worker could make you something in whatever wood and shade you would want. Granted, giving this a thought, it is giving me ideas of what I may want to do.

I do not know of any aftermarket kits for something that is refurbished. Granted, an option would be to also talk to a vinyl shop and they can put a vinyl coating on the wood, making it whatever color you want. Can even do some trick things like carbon fiber or metallics. That would be way cheaper than trying to buy new pieces though Jaguar. When you go to sell the car, the vinyl can be peeled off and the wood should look the same as the day you covered it up.

If you tell us what you are thinking of doing, maybe we can give some more clear thoughts of what your options are.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-28-2023)
Old 09-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The least expensive way is to wrap each piece of trim with automotive vinyl wrap. You may be able to do it yourself with a little practice and the right tools if you're so inclined. Panels simply pry off with the proper tools and snap back on. Otherwise, I'm sure there are several shops in Houston that can do it for you. Wrap is available in virtually every color wood grain and carbon fiber pattern you can imagine. It doesn't damage the original wood veneer and can be easily removed if you want to redecorate or return to the OEM wood.

New OEM wood veneer trim is very expensive. You may be able to find used OEM trim from a salvage yard, but it may be damaged.

There are lots of wrap vendors. Here's one:
https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/

Here's how to do it:

P.S. Contact Saul at British Autowood in Florida. He may be able to meet your needs.
https://britishautowood.com/

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-20-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Old Tiger, I would look at a local wood worker and see what they can do for you. The wood trim is just a veneer as I recall. It is only like a 1/16" thick. If you pull the pieces, I am sure a decent wood worker could make you something in whatever wood and shade you would want. Granted, giving this a thought, it is giving me ideas of what I may want to do.

I do not know of any aftermarket kits for something that is refurbished. Granted, an option would be to also talk to a vinyl shop and they can put a vinyl coating on the wood, making it whatever color you want. Can even do some trick things like carbon fiber or metallics. That would be way cheaper than trying to buy new pieces though Jaguar. When you go to sell the car, the vinyl can be peeled off and the wood should look the same as the day you covered it up.

If you tell us what you are thinking of doing, maybe we can give some more clear thoughts of what your options are.
Thanks for the information. I will let you know how it goes.- OLD TIGER

Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Yes try the vinyl wrap the options are huge!
If you don't like it then no harm and no foul just peel it off and try again.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Real wood veneer is expensive, partly because it needs to all be a matched set from the same tree. I had to replace one piece in my old X308. We have a local Jaguar salvage that luckily had lots to choose from. I sorted through dozens, found one that was sort of close and my average passenger doesn't notice, but I sure do. When the sun hits it a certain way, it really bugs me but the car isn't worth the cost to replace it all so I live with it.

I forget which auto restoration show it was, maybe Wheeler Dealers, but on some auto restoration show on television, they used hydrographic printing to "replicate" original wood veneer appearance on interior trim. As I recall, they stripped off all the old veneer, painted the pieces white, then printed the wood grain on the transfer, and finally sprayed it with a clearcoat. I don't know which would be better, vinyl or hydrographic film. I suppose the main difference is that it could not be "un-done" like vinyl but if your existing wood veneer needs repair anyway, then that wouldn't matter. It would just be cheaper than installing new veneer. But its another option to explore.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you gentlemen, I am now convinced the wheel is wood. But for the life of me I cannot see the joins. Good job Jaguar.