XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Jag Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Jag Enthusiast

I recently got my first Jaguar an XJL (not supercharged) from an auction in Texas. I flew there with the intention of driving it back to the west coast and to start my affair with it in style. When I got there I started learning alot about it very quickly. It had been sitting at the Auction lot for quite a while and needed a jump. I found by watching some very good videos on exactly how to jump it properly and finally got it started. Then I found that it had multiple leaks which I spent the next couple of hours fixing thanks to a local shop which helped me alot. It was getting late so I needed to get one of the headlights replaced before night fall as well. So I got all these items squared away and the next morning I was off for the West Coast. The car got good gas mileage and handled fantastic. As I was driving across Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona the temperature averaged 102 degrees F. Thank God for the air conditioning and the cooling in the seat as well. I love these seats cause just when I seemed to get tired I could always turn on the massage and continue for a couple of hundred miles more. I finally got to California only to find out I had more issues to deal with. I couldn't pass SMOG test so I did some investigating on my own and came up with what I thought need to be done. Just to be certain and to try and develop a relationship with the local dealership I asked them to look at it and give me an estimate. Well the local dealer said that they came to the same conclusion as I did that the connector to the smog cannister needed to be replaced and that they could not get the connector without ordering a completely new wiring harnass which would have to come from the UK in about a month or so. They told me 12K for the harness and another 6-8 K for the labor, I thanked them and then I really got involved. I found the connector (new and pre-wired) for $85 and got to work....then I developed another coolant leak in the upper back part of the engine and I saw a really informative video on how to replace what I think is the bad part. Then I'm almost ready to get legal with the exception of some new tires and control arms and some very minor cosmetic issues. Still this car is worth what I paid and one of the few I will always keep...

Old 03-23-2024, 10:37 PM
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Use a cooling system pressure tester following a cold soak to pressurise the system to 1 bar. If the pressure tester gauge begins to drop, look for leaks. The plastic cooling system components are know failure points as they can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles before failing.

There are aluminium pipes now available for the X351 AJ126/AJ133. The heater pipe at the rear of the engine between the cylinder heads is now available for the AJ126. Use the forum search function to view several threads on this top as it's been discussed many times..

What is the MY, which engine is fitted, and how many kilometres/miles are displayed on the instrument cluster?

The following users liked this post:
Emufarmer (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to your positive information, the MY is 2011, 351 not supercharged, had 158K when I got it

Old 03-24-2024, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Emufarmer
In response to your positive information, the MY is 2011, 351 not supercharged, had 158K when I got it
Do you have any service history on the car? Aside from all the cooling system plastic pipes that need to be replaced on a maintenance schedule, the other big concern for the early model years is the time chain tensioners. Lots of topics on here, so I won't go into details, but if your timing chain system hasn't been upgraded, add that the future list for long term ownership. Otherwise, solid engine.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 03-24-2024 at 07:34 PM.