XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New to the Jag Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Jag Forum

Hello I am honored to be among Jaguar owners, especially Jaguar XJL Portfolio owners. I will be in the market to purchase a CPO 2013 or 2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio 3.0 AWD with fewer than 30000 miles in December so I am doing my homework on the 2013 and 2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio 3.0 AWD. I figured what would be a better place than to get on a forum with Current Jaguar XJ owners to get more insight on this vehicle. I am just looking for tips to help me in my purchase. Tip on things to be aware of after purchase, whether its repairs, preventive maintenance, re-occurring issue with the 2013 or 2014 Jaguar XJL. I am wondering should I extend my basic warranty of 4 years/50000 miles at purchase or buy once I am 6 months or 1000 miles near the expiration of the New Car warranty. The CPO adds to the New Car Powertrain Warranty to add onto the Power train, which makes the warranty 7 years/100000 miles vice 4 years/50000 miles. I have called different jaguar dealers in my area (MD) to get price on regular preventive maintenance like oil changes, brakes, Rotors, Front Headlights. I did receive a lot of different prices. I am looking forward to buying my Jaguar; I was interested in buying 2014 Lexus LS460L or a 2015 Hyundai Equus but once I drove the 2014 Jaguar XJL Portfolio 3.0 AWD, I was hooked. The car is so elegant and classy. I was kind of shocked that the seats did not have massage Front Seats. I look forward to interacting with everyone on this forum, thanks again Alfred

Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The massage seats are an option so you will have to look around if that is something you really want. I only wanted a CPO warranty vehicle so I would have a few years not to have to worry about major items. By the way, the CPO is 6 years or 100,000 miles not 7 years. Good luck in your search and post pictures when you buy one!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,378 Likes on 3,495 Posts

BlckCat is correct, but note that the Jaguar CPO warranty (6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first) begins on the date the car was first placed in service, not when you buy the car. It is more than merely an extension of the powertrain warranty; it is bumper-to-bumper (with certain exclusions). Once a Jaguar dealer "certifies" a car, that CPO status stays with the car and is transferable to another owner. For details, see: Certified Pre-Owned Program Benefits | Jaguar USA You can also search for CPO XJs from this link.

Your Jaguar dealer may also offer you an Extended Service Contract from a third party. Although commonly called an "Extended Warranty", it is not really a warranty since it does not come from the manufacturer. In reality, it is an insurance policy that covers the cost of certain repairs. Buyer beware! See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-164118/

You are making a good choice to look at 2013 and 2014 XJs. 2013 was the first model year for the 8-speed transmission, Meridian Sound systems, and Intelligent Stop-Start. 2014 carried over largely unchanged but added soft-close doors.

Don't assume that the XJ you're looking at has everything you want. For example, the trim level of the car determines which of 3 Meridian sound systems is standard and if a higher level is optional. Although there are lots of standard features, make sure that the car has all the options you want. A knowledgeable salesperson can be a great help.

These cars are rare, so you should consider expanding your search nationwide to find "the one". But stay with CPO, since that provides some comfort in knowing that Jaguar will stand behind their product.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,916 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Smoove01, I am south of you in California, MD. There really isn't much that you need to be worried about with the XJ that you are looking at. The sunroof issue should have been addressed already (popping sound when it gets opened and shut) and the water pumps are known to fail unexpectedly (but this isn't something that will be able to be seen at the time of purchase). The older cars (say the 2011's) may exhibit some rust around the latch area of the doors if they are from the north due to salt corrosion and dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum parts in direct contact with each other).

Like was mentioned, there are massage seats, but they were an option. The other thing that atleast for me was something that I would have had to have is the airline trays for the rear seats. They started to become optional in 2014 as I recall. May be something that you will want to have (can see it being desirable if you have kids or drive people around a lot).

Maintenance on the car is pretty straight forward. If you do the oil change yourself, it takes just a little longer as you have to pull the aerodynamic plate off of the underside of the car to access the drain plug. But, that isn't too bad.

I bought my car through Annapolis Jaguar. they had some really good prices, but don't plan on getting a lot for your trade either. You would be better served selling the trade in privately.

As for the extended warrantee, that is a call that you have to make. I am a die-hard backyard mechanic and I do a lot of my own work. So, an extended warrantee doesn't sit well with me. But, not everyone has the tools that I have and the ability. So, for others, it can be a lifesaver. If you ever want to learn about your car, let me know. We can crawl around your car and check out things and get you taken care of. I know BlckCat stopped by my place and we got his problem figured out that 2 Jaguar Dealerships couldn't figure out.

Something that you may want to consider is going to a 2012. I know this sounds oximoronic, but some find the Start-Stop feature of the 2013 and newer cars annoying and there is no "click this button to make it stay off". Yes, you can hit a button to make it not engage for that drive. But, as soon as you turn off the car, the Start-Stop function get reset to default which will have it engage the next time you start the vehicle. Unfortunately, the dealership cannot turn off this feature as it is part of the EPA certification of the vehicle. With that being said, there are members figuring out ways to defeat the system.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (05-02-2023)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Thank you All for your responses, BlckCat thank you on the correction, so its 6 years/ 100000. Yes I do want the Massage option, I will definitely expand my search to 250 miles from my zip code. I will definitely post pictures when I buy my vehicle.
Stuart S: thanks for all your advice, I will definitely remember all your advice during my search. I am staying with CPO all the way. I would love to get the Mid grade Meridian Sound system. I think it is the 20 speakers but its not a necessity. Thank you
Thermo: I am familiar with California, When I was in the Navy, I had to do training in NAS Pax River. Thank you for all your insight. Wow You do your oil change by yourself, that is impressive, If I had knew how to do it I would definitely do it to save money.
I will definitely. I will definitely take you up on that offer to reach out to you if i have any questions or issues (thanks Alot)
I do you have another question, How does everyone like the Infotainment system on the XJ, Is it very user friendly, Does the bluetooth work very well? What about voice commands? How good does the Navigation work and how often do you have to update the Navigation software? How much does that usually cost? thanks again. I am excited and Pump, cant wait to purchase one in December

Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

One more pro worth mentioning is the great interest rate that is available through Jaguar for CPO vehicles. It was 0.9% when I bought compared to around 3.5% for the best from USAA or Navy Federal. I was quoted just under $2K to add the CPO warranty to a 2013 XJL SC with low miles. MSRP was $98k and asking price was $50k. That's the only price point I have for adding CPO to one that is not advertised as one but just know that Jaguar dealers can and will do it if you want. The kicker is, depending on how much you are going to finance, the interest rate difference can almost cover the cost to add the CPO warranty.

And one last thing worth mentioning in is that the 0.9% rate is only available if it has just been CPO'd. Like Stuart said, the warranty stays with the car. However, if the CPO process was done for the previous owner the interest rate deal is not available to you.

As for infotainment, it was greatly improved in 2013 so you are already looking for the good version. Some still feel it is sub par but compared to other modern vehicles I actually think it is pretty good. There are buttons for a lot of things unlike a Cadillac I drove recently that required using the touch screen for every little thing. I even drove a new XF and prefered my current infotainment to the new style.

Navigation is worthless compared to whatever you use on your phone. This is the case for every car system i've ever seen (Audi isn't bad though).

And finally, for the sound system the top of the line 770W system will say "Meridian Surround" on the door speakers. I wanted it but ending up not finding one that also had all of the other options I wanted. I have the mid-level system which will only say "Meridian" and is 380W. I'm not sure if the ultra top of the line 1300W (?) "Reference" system was available in 2014 but it wasn't for 2013.

Last edited by BlckCat; 07-12-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,916 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Smoove01, I have the "older" nav system in my 2012. The big problem I have with it is that it has many different ways of displaying the same data and actually can go into information overload (showing you every gas station when you are running low on gas, where every restaurant is, every exit and how far it is to it in the next 5 miles, etc). Now, if you know what the buttons do, you can turn a lot of this off and get back to a normal "minimal information" setup (where the next turn is and what direction). Once a point is entered, the system is quick to make changes. Inputting information on the other hand, it gets a little slow. I blame this more on it trying to create a "short list" for you. So, if you enter say an "A" for a street name, it will start looking for every street name that starts with A in the state. As you can imagine, there are just a few out there. It will then gray out the letters that are not used for the next letter in the name, so on and so on. The last thing that I find bothersome is that to make this search process faster, they broke out the area it looks in by state. The problem being that since we live where we can be in 5 different states in a matter of a hour, when you go to drive to that other state, you have to make sure to select that state before you do anything else, otherwise you are just wasting your time as you will have to re-enter all this information once you select the state.

If you want to learn about your car, let me know. I am more than willing to just look over the car, teach you what everything is and in general, spread the information. While the car has some high tech stuff in it, there is still a lot of stuff you can still work on yourself.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Thank you Thermo, That is so true we can get to a few states in a hour, never really thought about that. Thank you for the information and I will definitely take you up on that offer.
BlckCat Thanks for the added info about interest rates CPO. That is so funny that you mention Navy Federal and USAA, I am a member of both and I would have inquired at those to institution for my loan. I would love to get the 770W Meridian Sounds system, its seem automatic that you have a good premium sound system with a luxury vehicle as the Jaguar XJL. thanks again