XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New to me 2012 XJ base

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts
Default New to me 2012 XJ base

Just traded in my X-type and taken delivery of a new to me 2012 XJ base with 57k on her.

What would you recommend I check/change
I do plan on working on the wheels in the near future as there is a little road rash on them but as far as I can tell she is in quite good condition.
Should I go OEM for filters etc or aftermarket like K&N for instance?
I appreciate your input.

Paul

Last edited by Paulc732; 01-08-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Paul, I see you did the same thing I did. As for filters, look on e-bay. You can get the Jaguar oil filters for around $18 each (possibly less depending on how many you get). I did swap out my air filters for some K&N air filters. What I have noticed with mine is that I tried removing the tubing running from above the radiator to the air boxes and this caused me all sorts of grief. The car actually breathed too well and the computer was seeing the air flow change too fast and was throwing codes. Once I reinstalled the tubes, the codes went away.

As for things to check, tire wear is always a good one and the brakes (my rear brakes are needing replacement at 61K miles). After that, it is the normals. Check the fluids and give the car a good once over. The real test will be in the summer to see if the water pump is good or not. If there is a weakness with this car, it is the water pump. BUt, that is easy to replace should it come time to do that (probably not as easy as the X-Type, but that is a different story in itself).

The following users liked this post:
Paulc732 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Default No K&N Engine Air Filters For Me

OK, I can already hear the incoming flak for what I'm about to say, but here goes anyway ...

K&N engine air filters are impregnated with oil. My 1960 Corvette (bought new and owned for 42 years) came from the factory with a reusable, oil-impregnated foam air filter. GM abandoned all of the oil-impregnated foam air filters in 1965 and switched to pleated paper air filters. Interestingly, the stock GM pleated paper engine air filter for a 1965 Pontiac GTO fit my 1960 Corvette perfectly, and that is what I used. Virtually all modern cars use dry pleated paper air filters. If the K&N oil impregnated filter technology is superior, why don't all the car manufacturers use it today? K&N advertises heavily, and power gains, if any, are likely to occur only at very high rpms. Most likely advertising hype with little, if any, real-world bang for the buck for a street car. All-out race cars are another matter.

Why look for trouble with CEL codes and possibly contaminate your mass air flow sensor with oil from a K&N filter? I'd stay with the paper filter, OEM or good quality aftermarket equivalent.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Stuart, I hear you. I have had good luck with the K&N filters. Yes, it is easy to over oil and cause problems. But, if done right, they filter as well as the paper filters. The reason why I go with K&N filters is that they are cleanable/reusable and therefore I pay a pretty penny initially, but then I never have to buy another filter for the life of the vehicle. Since I tend to own my vehicles for long periods of time, I make out in the long run.

The whole "makes more power" argument is a wash as I see it. Yes, I am sure there are situations where the K&N can make a motor make more power. But, I am sure there are just as many where it will cause a slight loss in power. Like you mention, if they were "so much better", then why aren't others installing them from the factory.

To each their own.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the advice Chris and yes you were my inspiration,

As for the air filters I will be going with K&N the only down side I can see doing this is If I do over oil the filter i will just have to go back in after a week or so and clean the air flow sensor,

Chris,
Do you have a set of electrical drawings by any chance?
I ave noticed the drivers seat heater only heats the back and not the cushion even though I have both zones on. looks like some fun with my meter this weekend

Already have my led`s to start playing

Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

Paul, yes I do have a set of drawings. PM me your e-mail addy and I will send them your way.

On a side note, how far from Pottstown, PA are you? I am going to be up there for a month from mid April to mid May. Maybe we can make another get together like we did awhile back. I am doing another traveling job and will be in the area during that time. Looking, you are more than likely about an hour away.

If you are playing with LEDs, let me know what you find out. I found in the map lights, the LEDs I installed give a faint glow when the parking lights are on. Not enough to be annoying, but you can see them. I was kinda torn about seeing them, but when people are in my car, they actually think it is a "nice feature" since they know where to press to turn on the light. If you have any questions, let me know. The footwell lights are a joy to replace. NOT!!!!!! Seem easy, but getting the bulbs in there is a royal PITA (atleast for me they were).

Old 01-10-2017, 08:25 PM

Chris,
Pottstown is about an hour away, totally into having another meet.
perhaps we could set something up for the central PA area ?
Will let you know how i get on with the LED update and thanks for the heads up on the foot-wells

I will pm My email address and thank you.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Chris called it

Water pump just went bye bye.
left a nice little puddle on the drive.