XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New member. General advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. General advise

Greetings. I recently bought a 2011 xjl supersport (470hp version). Really nice interior, has Maintenace records. The timing chain guides were supposedly done already.

I have already tuned it through viezu, and have the upper pulley to put on. So far the tune feels like it’s all towards the top end so hopefully the pulley gives me the seat of pants I want.

my two questions are about the transmission and suspension.

the trans shifts slowly under full throttle. I spoke with virus but the only trans tune has to be installed on site, and I’m a few thousand miles away. Does anyone know of a mechanical way to shift quicker? Perhaps trans fluid or some other service? Or does a company offer the tune for the six speed that can be remotely installed. Trans is really letting down the car.

secondly the suspension has a lot of wallow(side to side). 22 inch rims were on the car when I bought it, with Michelin pilot sports. They are really nice tires and rims, I wouldn’t have gone that large myself but I don’t want to change them. Any experience with upgrading sway bars, or moderately priced struts to stiffen up the ride. I can deal with a rougher ride, but the wallow is letting down the sporting aspirations. I have worked on cars but suspension is not my forte. Perhaps a used upgrade, do try xjr struts offer enough of an upgrade to be worth it?

thanks for reading my screed, and if anyone has links that are appropriate I would greatly appreciate it, I’m sure y’all get the same dumb questions over and over.

Old 07-20-2024, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

godzilla, try truning on dynamic mode. that will stiffen up the suspension for free. May even firm up the shifts as it does alter how the tranny does things.

Old 07-20-2024, 11:53 PM

Oh yes sir, I have it in dynamic. I don’t notice any difference in suspension, or shifting. Maybe slightly quicker but it goes to the highest gear, possible, which is how I drive normally.

I put the pulley on tonight. Took a while because I couldn’t get it hot enough. Had to buy a torch and get it to 650. Then it popped right on. Definitely worth it, I can finally hear the supercharger and it ups the midrange.

Old 07-22-2024, 08:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Godzilla, if Dynamic Mode didn't do what you want, then I would do some searching for "8 speed ZF tranny upgrade". The tranny in our cars is not unique to just Jaguar. These trannies are used in lots of cars. So, do not throw Jaguar into the search field. You should get lots of responses from that.

Old 07-22-2024, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

He has a 2011 so the 6 speed ZF. There is a transmission tune out from VAP for the 8 speed but I have not seen one for the 6 speed?

Now you can upgrade the 6 speed with a Zip kit and other things.
ZIP Kits

Surprised you don't have the SC snout clunk? We now have an official Eaton solid coupler out and I would recommend that over ALL the after market stuff floating around!
Eaton Solid SC Coupling

If you can DIY stuff you will be alright as this forum has all that you need for repair and maintenance. Be sure and get the manual and maybe even JPART if your serious. Also the factory diagnostic setup is SDD. Another BIG project but it's been well worth it to me.

These are just cars with 4 wheels an engine and transmission!

Old 07-22-2024, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
He has a 2011 so the 6 speed ZF. There is a transmission tune out from VAP for the 8 speed but I have not seen one for the 6 speed?

Now you can upgrade the 6 speed with a Zip kit and other things.
ZIP Kits

Surprised you don't have the SC snout clunk? We now have an official Eaton solid coupler out and I would recommend that over ALL the after market stuff floating around!
Eaton Solid SC Coupling

If you can DIY stuff you will be alright as this forum has all that you need for repair and maintenance. Be sure and get the manual and maybe even JPART if your serious. Also the factory diagnostic setup is SDD. Another BIG project but it's been well worth it to me.

These are just cars with 4 wheels an engine and transmission!
thanks for this. The page indicated it was more to correct bad transmissions then make quicker shifts. Does it firm up the transmission or just go back to stock quality?

I have my smaller pulley on, and the thing is a muscly beast now. But of course my ac went out. In Tucson, in July😭.

Old 07-22-2024, 09:17 PM

I think the supercharged is fine, drives pretty smooth. And the shaft spin smoothly when I had the pulley off.

Old 07-23-2024, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Yes it's just a clunk on shut down. Not a real big problem and mine has been making that sound for about 20K miles now.
To check for it. Shut off the radio and open the drivers door with the engine at idle. Now shut the engine down and listen for noises. As I have posted before I am sure my car had this before I noticed it but until someone told me how to check for it I just wasn't aware of it.

I have not installed that Zip kit but can only read what it's suppose to help with. When I had the 6 speed it seemed fine and other than the sealing sleeve leak and fluid/filter replacements. I did nothing else to it.

Old 07-24-2024, 06:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done a Zip kit on a ZF 6HP transmission before. It's not really a performance upgrade, it does upgrade the pistons and sealing rings but that just restores your transmission to its intended factory function. If you're not experiencing clunks or shift flare I wouldn't bother. Replacing the mechatronic seals and fluid is really what you should do on the 6HP.

Old 07-27-2024, 12:49 PM

Anyone know what the caps on the back of exterior door handles are called? They have the most fragile plastic and I need to replace two. Preferably from a silver car so I don’t have to worry about paint. All I can find is the whole handle assembly, or the little plastic cap for the lock.

Old 07-27-2024, 01:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla8japan
But of course my ac went out. In Tucson, in July😭.
Be sure and read up on club’s AC compressor replacement, I just completed it in a weekend. Very worthwhile to save a few thousand dollars paying the dealer!

AC Compressor Removal

Last edited by griff831; 07-27-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:54 PM

And now the ac works again. This is the second time it stopped, and fixed itself. I unplugged the battery first time and it worked then. It went out for the second time last week. I unplugged it but it wasn’t working before I left for vacation, and now it is.

has anyone dealt with intermittent ac failures that come and go? I’ll search the forum also.