XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New member with questions about reliability of XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with questions about reliability of XJ

Hello everyone. I am very seriously considering my first Jag, a 2013 XJ base with the new V6 supercharged and 8 speed ZF transmission. Like many, I have shied away from Jag in the past due to perceived reliability issues with the Marque. My question to the members is what exactly have been the issues with the cars, specifically the X351 XJ? Are the problems real and potentially enough to make ownership unsatisfying or are they simple fixes? While I do appreciate the 4yr/50,000 mi warranty, I do not prefer to simply have the most beautiful car in the shop. We live over 100mi from our nearest dealer so it might be a major inconvenience to get it serviced if more than for routine maintenance. But, if little issues can be fixed during routine maintenance visits, that is no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Speed

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I won't be able to give you a solid answer since my XJL has only 1800 miles on it. So far, not a single issue, other than my preference for a better highway ride. But, if you get the 2013s that should be improved, as well.

I can give you more of a general experience on Jaguars. While my early '80s XJL6 was the absolute worst, most unreliable car I ever owned, my '05 XK and '08 XK as well as the 2012XJL have been absolutely trouble free. Not a single failure over 6+ years of owning them.

The 2013s will be in their 4th year of production for the XJs and, expectedly, they should have worked out the bugs, such as the roof popping issues and other niggling noises. As I'd read owner reports,much of the roof noises seem to come in after several thousands of driven miles. Likely, there is a connection between the firm ride of the 2011s, 2012s and the loosening of the chassis structures with driven miles. Hopefully the softer 2013 suspension will help even with that issue.

Albert

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2012 XJ SC with over 6k miles and I have not been to the dealer since I picked it up. I hate to jinx myself but so far I have zero defects. My previous car was a 2007 XJ that was a great daily driver for three years with no major issues. I know some folks have had some issues with the roof popping but mine is solid and tight.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Thank your for the insight. It sounds like nothing too concerning for the two of you so far.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddeacon
Hello everyone. I am very seriously considering my first Jag, a 2013 XJ base with the new V6 supercharged and 8 speed ZF transmission. Like many, I have shied away from Jag in the past due to perceived reliability issues with the Marque. My question to the members is what exactly have been the issues with the cars, specifically the X351 XJ? Are the problems real and potentially enough to make ownership unsatisfying or are they simple fixes? While I do appreciate the 4yr/50,000 mi warranty, I do not prefer to simply have the most beautiful car in the shop. We live over 100mi from our nearest dealer so it might be a major inconvenience to get it serviced if more than for routine maintenance. But, if little issues can be fixed during routine maintenance visits, that is no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Speed
I have a 2012 XJ S/C since March and I have driven 2400 trouble miles so far. I had a minor trim issue but overall the car is awesome.

But you are asking about a car with a new engine and new gearbox. I believe this 8 speed gearbox is also used by BMW and seems great. And the V6 is derived from V8 which is reliable so I suspect you should be good.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jaguar is making very good cars. My XF is as reliable as any car I have ever owned.

Last edited by Dadio; 10-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-27-2024)
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Only downer I can think of is you are 100 miles away from the dealer, but you might be 100 miles from any dealer, you don't say ! The only make of car with dealers many miles away here in the UK is Infiniti, who only have 3 or 4 dealerships. If you're happy with a 200 mile round trip for a service then OK. You could mention this to your nearest dealer when contacting them about buying a car.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM

All of the luxury brands are 100 or so away, only local domestic and mainline imports are local for me. I don't mind the trip on occasion but not for prolonged or repeated trips. Sounds like I needn't worry much though.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

in terms of reliability of the specific car, i cannot comment considering ive only had it for 2 weeks

however the OVERALL reliability of the brand......has significantly improved ten-fold. my father and I have had jags for the past 20 years.....hes owned the late 90's models that DID have a lot of issues.....but ive had a lot of Jags between 2005 and now....and aside from small little issues that generally can happen to any car.....there has been no severe issue. i usually lease my cars for 2-3 years....and each car has never seen the shop more than 3 days (if they even need to go to the shop)

jaguars past of being unreliable is still haunting them, it sucks that people are ignorant and thick headed to realize otherwise. but as an owner thats been through their thick and thin, id never second guess the reliability.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

53k on my clock so far, no major issues apart from wear and tear, only issue I have currently is I don't drive it many miles per day so the battery has died on me a couple of times in the past month. Since the boot is battery powered if its completey dead, its a bit of a faf to open it, you have to boost it via the bonnet to get into the battery in the boot.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
in terms of reliability of the specific car, i cannot comment considering ive only had it for 2 weeks

however the OVERALL reliability of the brand......has significantly improved ten-fold. my father and I have had jags for the past 20 years.....hes owned the late 90's models that DID have a lot of issues.....but ive had a lot of Jags between 2005 and now....and aside from small little issues that generally can happen to any car.....there has been no severe issue. i usually lease my cars for 2-3 years....and each car has never seen the shop more than 3 days (if they even need to go to the shop)

jaguars past of being unreliable is still haunting them, it sucks that people are ignorant and thick headed to realize otherwise. but as an owner thats been through their thick and thin, id never second guess the reliability.
Shhh! Don't keep telling people Jag has gotten their act together.

This fact is that, that is what enables us to buy a 2 year old Supercharged XJ that stickered at $91K for $45K with 25K miles on her!

People that can afford Jags buy new or lease so the secondary Jag market is skewered toward the buyers favor because the market is so soft due to the falsehood that it's unwise to buy a used Jag.

Good for me...Let them take the depreciation hit for me, and I get my near new Jag, still under warranty, for half price!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 01-27-2015 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

[QUOTE=carzaddict;596349]in terms of reliability of the specific car, i cannot comment considering ive only had it for 2 weeks

jaguars past of being unreliable is still haunting them, it sucks that people are ignorant and thick headed to realize otherwise. but as an owner thats been through their thick and thin, id never second guess the reliability.[/QUOTE I can assure you that if there are people who cannot tell you that George Washington was our first president or that the Atlantic Ocean is the body of water along the east coast, I know that they are pretty ignorant of the progress of Jaguar.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any significant reliability concerns with the 2010 XJ in particular since that was the first offering of the current body style? I know that sometimes the first gen body styles of various manufacturers sometimes have kinks to be worked out. Any to speak of with the 2010 XJ?

I ask because I'm less than a week from buying one.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1998 XJ8 has 64k miles - no problems