XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New SC XJL ZERO issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also takes a while for the camera to appear when put into reverse. It seems a bit random, although I have not really monitored if the delay (or occasional non-existence) of the camera is related to time between turning on ignition and putting it into reverse.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I always wait maybe 10 seconds before I put the car in gear after starting, so I don't know if the rear camera is slow coming on if you immediately go to reverse after starting--I'll try that and let you know. I will say that when I do put it in reverse the camera comes on quickly enough, maybe a couple of seconds. Certainly not enough of a lag for me to complain--I think maybe you and gears are having a problem with yours (or maybe you guys are just too impatient ).
Well, in my case the impatient factor is certainly true. If I'd wait the 10 seconds it is fine. I love the car despite of those little things. A) I bought a car, not an entertainment system. B) mo matter which car you choose, you will find something which isn't perfect. It's just...it would be nice if Jaguar hears those things and eventually fixes those things for their own sake. They need this car to succeed and Jaguars are a must in this very plane jane car design landscape.

HINT: Whoever stated to turn off "animation" is right! It makes the screen noticably more responsive and I barely notice what animation is even there.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Mine also takes a while for the camera to appear when put into reverse. It seems a bit random, although I have not really monitored if the delay (or occasional non-existence) of the camera is related to time between turning on ignition and putting it into reverse.
It's a bit random in mine, too. Sometimes after I start the car its up almost right away, sometimes much later. However, if I wait until everything "boots up" like HouTexJag said, about 10 sec, everything is fine.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, and my wife thinks I am picky....

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Congrats BXJ. I'm pretty close to the situation, and have heard nothing on a fix for the delay in the rear view camera either when initiating it or after moving to drive. I'm wondering whether you don't feel it's that laggy, or somehow yours just worked when everyone else's software seems to lag. Again, Jaguar does not report a software upgrade or update to address the rear camera lag issue. That includes at the build facility, or at the dealerships that I'm aware of. It's something that is quite annoying, and if you wouldn't mind hitting that topic once more, I'd appreciate it. Just want to understand if it's not bothersome to you, or the transfer to the camera when engaging or disengaging is instant

My backup camera comes on virtually immediately after putting the car in reverse. Similar to Gears, I dont hop in my car, hit the start button, then immediatly slam it into reverse. I let the car warm up for 30 seconds or so before taking off. So sure maybe mine would be slow within the first few seconds of start up and I just havent seen it.

After putting my car back into drive from reverse - i get a popup box that says "parking aid alert" with outline drawing of the car - and two buttons which say "cancel" and "rear camera". The reason for this popup box is because the warning system is still operating. To me, this is helpful because the front warning system is still active and will let me know if I am too close to the car in front of me as I am pulling out of a parking spot. It goes away after a few seconds upon driving off. I dont consider this a bug, its designed that way.

Just wait until you adjust the volume on the radio and then try to change something else on the touchscreen shortly after...you'll be on here saying "noooooooow I understand what they're all talking about."
As i noted in my original post - the touch screen is slow at startup. After the first 20 seconds or so, it seems fine to me. Unless Ive turned on the "animation" feature - outside of the first 20 - 30 seconds Ive not noticed any lag.

Little things like that, having to touch the tiny little plus sign to change from preset 1 to preset 2, or to go into the sub-menu for personal audio devices
Changing from preset 1 to preset 2 using the plus signs... I thought that was irritating as well, until I read through the owners manual and found that by holding the "mode" button on the left hand side of the steering wheel for 2 - 3 seconds, it will jump between presets. If you briefly push the "mode" button, it will jump to the next source. Sub-menu for personal audio devices - i guess just my iphone is enough for me. I dont find myself connecting multiple devices at the same time. My guess is, most owners dont either, outside of the "playing around" time during the first few days.

or when your L5 S1 slips from the unnecessary girth of the FOB that as mentioned, serves no actual purpose other than to be gargantuan..
Ill show my ignorance here... I have no idea what an L5 S1 is, but I agree - the FOB is rediculous in size.

Or when you get out of your car, go to get something out of the trunk, close the trunk, and then realize that you also have to go back over to the door to lock it instead of being able to do that from the trunk.
Really? The 4 other places on the car for you to lock the doors from arent enough for you? You do realize that giant FOB we are making fun of can lock the doors too right? That gives this car have 4 more ways to lock the doors than any other car Ive owned. Pulling the FOB out and lock the car after getting out of the trunk, is not that big of a deal to me.

If anyone has a Supersport, they'll notice that at night, the glow from the left and rear vents reflects a bright blue ring in the center of your side mirrors, which is amazingly distracting.
I dont have the SS, but Ill take your word for it.

Get your car detailed and then have to hit the winshield wiper fluid, and watch your detail go down the tubes as the entire front end of your car gets destroyed from the front headlight washer spray that would make even Peter North proud, and that can't be disengaged from the menus.
Im wondering how you got the windshield dirty enough to need cleaning - but the rest of the car is still in fully detailed condition. Seems odd to me...

You will eventually get tired of hitting "I agree" on the nav screen every time you get in your car. You'll get tired of the black screen that pops up after you've been in reverse and start driving forward, where it has a prompt to "turn off" something or other.
Blame lawsuit happy America for this, not Jaguar. Every car Ive ever been in with a nav system has done this. What i found refreashing on the XJ was that if you dont click agree - and just keep driving the warning goes away on its own after about 15 seconds. My Land Rover didnt do that - the damn warning screen would stay on forever if i didnt choose agree.

Or if you want your Nav to default to a full screen view when you use it for directions, instead of giving the split screen at the start which shows something that i can't quite figure out yet...maybe alternate routes or something like that...not sure what it is.
Its showing you the next exits or intersections that you are approaching. My Land Rover did the same thing, sometimes I find it useful, other times I dont and manually change the view. I dont lose any sleep over it though

Or when you can't change the time on the nav to a 12 hour clock, and instead it only displays as miliatary time.
This one Ill agree with. Strange. Maybe Navtech will come up with an update to fix this at some point.

Or when you try out the traffic monitoring system and find you can't get a channel a good chunk of the time.
I live in a large metropolitan area. I didnt have any issue finding a station for the TMS. Actually my dealer had already programmed it for me - but while learning about the car myself, i changed it just to familiarize myself with the system. I havent traveled away from my home town yet - I imagine trying to locate TMS stations in rural areas is a challenge.

Or when you go to install your courtesy nets in the trunk, and realize that they didn't prefit the car for that option, and you actually have to drill holes in your trunk to install the XJ specific side nets. And a tiny little net costs over $250 after 1.5 hours of labor plus parts because they didn't just fit the trunk with an attachment of some kind.
Guess I got screwed on the courtesy nets.... I didn’t get any. Honestly, I wouldn’t have wanted them either. In previous cars I’ve owned, I’ve found that they get in the way more than help.

The more obvious things have mostly been cleared up on later VIN models, but there are still the annoyances that you'll start to pick up on the more you drive her and play with it. Spectacular car all around, but every so often you find yourself thinking "how is it possible they missed that in testing at the factory?" Not to say that it doesn't happen with most or all other car manufacturers, and not to say that it's unexpected on a new model to some degree. Yet still, it's frustrating. Thank God it's as beautiful as it is.

Ive actually spent quite a bit of time in the car already - getting to know it. Nothing so far has really bothered me all that much. To me - it’s a car, it’s not a work of art. I’ll get a new one in 3 or 4 years.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Well, in my case the impatient factor is certainly true. If I'd wait the 10 seconds it is fine. I love the car despite of those little things. A) I bought a car, not an entertainment system. B) mo matter which car you choose, you will find something which isn't perfect. It's just...it would be nice if Jaguar hears those things and eventually fixes those things for their own sake. They need this car to succeed and Jaguars are a must in this very plane jane car design landscape.

HINT: Whoever stated to turn off "animation" is right! It makes the screen noticably more responsive and I barely notice what animation is even there.
I tried immediately putting the car in reverse as soon as the engine started and the results were the same--got the backup camera screen within about 2 seconds.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by blackxj
Ill show my ignorance here... I have no idea what an L5 S1 is, but I agree - the FOB is rediculous in size.

I think he's referring to slipping a disc in your back with the weight of the fob. LOL It is a little on the large size!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"After putting my car back into drive from reverse - i get a popup box that says "parking aid alert" with outline drawing of the car - and two buttons which say "cancel" and "rear camera". The reason for this popup box is because the warning system is still operating. To me, this is helpful because the front warning system is still active and will let me know if I am too close to the car in front of me as I am pulling out of a parking spot. It goes away after a few seconds upon driving off. I dont consider this a bug, its designed that way."

-just curious why you feel that a black warning message screen with front sensors still operational is more effective than going back to the radio/nav or whatever screen while the front sensors are still operational? It's not like that black alert screen is doing you any good visually. The front sensor isn't going to appear. In my mind, it's just a software glitch. If they wanted to leave the screen on to show the front and rear sensors, I can understand the logic, otherwise...I'm not getting it.

"Ill show my ignorance here... I have no idea what an L5 S1 is, but I agree the FOB is rediculous in size."

-L5 S1 is the lowest lumbar area of your spine. Many folks with disc herniations have it here or in the L4. Was my attempt at humor.

"Really? The 4 other places on the car for you to lock the doors from arent enough for you? You do realize that giant FOB we are making fun of can lock the doors too right? That gives this car have 4 more ways to lock the doors than any other car Ive owned. Pulling the FOB out and lock the car after getting out of the trunk, is not that big of a deal to me."

- This to me would be akin to a complaint that there is no auto close in the trunk...."really, you can't just shut the trunk on your own", or no steering wheel control buttons for the radio "really, you can't just reach over and hit the button on the radio", or no keyless go "how hard is it to put in a key and turn it", etc. etc.. It's not that it's difficult to lock the car, just as it's not difficult to open the car with a key. It's a convenience feature where you may have your hands full when closing the trunk, and it's easy enough to have a button to close and lock in addition to close only. Given that it's already in use on BMW and MB, and has been for many years, it seemed like a pretty simple thing for them to have done. Not the end of the world...just explaining some of the smaller inconveniences/oversights, IMHO.

"Im wondering how you got the windshield dirty enough to need cleaning - but the rest of the car is still in fully detailed condition. Seems odd to me..."

- there was a mist of rain that day, and I figured I would just wipe down the windshield when I got out and it would have kept the detail fairly well. A misting dries up and doesn't leave much evidence on the paint. When you use the windshield however, it can leave wiper lines. Anyway, that's what happened, and I thought I could just clean up the windshield when I got out...didn't quite work out like I planned. Oh, I should add that the reason the wiper fluid was necessary was because sometimes windows streak when there isn't enough water (like when you get hit by the guy in front of you whose wiper fluid sprays onto your car), and also because the wipers don't flow well with very little moisture...loud and clunky often.

"Blame lawsuit happy America for this, not Jaguar. Every car Ive ever been in with a nav system has done this. What i found refreashing on the XJ was that if you dont click agree - and just keep driving the warning goes away on its own after about 15 seconds. My Land Rover didnt do that - the damn warning screen would stay on forever if i didnt choose agree."

- my MB and my BMW did not do this with each start of the car. I don't have more experience to go by than that, but I agree it's the lawyers that cause this issue. Just not sure why Jaguar doesn't follow the same standards used by BMW and MB...seems like it would be fairly consistent.

"Its showing you the next exits or intersections that you are approaching. My Land Rover did the same thing, sometimes I find it useful, other times I dont and manually change the view. I dont lose any sleep over it though."

-again, these aren't major issues, but I would prefer it to default to my last used setting. Seems easy and logical enough to correct.

"I live in a large metropolitan area. I didnt have any issue finding a station for the TMS. Actually my dealer had already programmed it for me - but while learning about the car myself, i changed it just to familiarize myself with the system. I havent traveled away from my home town yet - I imagine trying to locate TMS stations in rural areas is a challenge."

-has your TMS actually come on to tell you there is a traffic jam yet? I'd be interested to know if that's happened to anyone. Perhaps a flaw in the TMS software having nothing to do with Jag, but I've sat in bumper to bumper many times now without a hint of acknowledgement. Curious to know if it's been useful to others.

- Thought it was interesting, but in my conversation with the product manager for Jagaur XJ and XF for North America (nice person to get the chance to talk with BTW), he commented that his biggest frustration with the car is the volume button on the radio pausing all functions of the command unit for several seconds. Different strokes for different folks, but I happen to agree that it's annoying and unnecessary.

-Thanks for the feedback BXJ. Good to know about cycling through the presets...very helpful.

Last edited by kid delicious; 01-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxj
Blame lawsuit happy America for this, not Jaguar. Every car Ive ever been in with a nav system has done this. What i found refreashing on the XJ was that if you dont click agree - and just keep driving the warning goes away on its own after about 15 seconds. My Land Rover didnt do that - the damn warning screen would stay on forever if i didnt choose agree.
Yep, sue-happy land is to blame, BUT.... I had the same annoyance on my car (LS460) and they finally reprogrammed to just a warning message **without** any "I agree" buttons to press, and it goes away in exact 3 seconds.

As to the parking sensors.... That's a design issue. I believe the correct behavior for those would be to be always active and beep whenever you're close to hitting anything (front or back) at all times. Car owner could have an actual hard button to turn the whole system off if he/she wanted to. In the LS460 this button exists, and it is on the left side of the dashboard close to where the trunk, gas lid and heated steering wheel buttons are. Very convenient feature, no need to smear the nav screen with finger prints.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM

- Thought it was interesting, but in my conversation with the product manager for Jagaur XJ and XF for North America (nice person to get the chance to talk with BTW), he commented that his biggest frustration with the car is the volume button on the radio pausing all functions of the command unit for several seconds. Different strokes for different folks, but I happen to agree that it's annoying and unnecessary.
Yeah, I'm not real fond of this myself. Also, the responsiveness of the volumn buttons on the steering wheel leave a little to be desired--it's difficult to judge how long to hold down and release the buttons to get the desired level.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car owner could have an actual hard button to turn the whole system off if he/she wanted to. In the LS460 this button exists, and it is on the left side of the dashboard close to where the trunk, gas lid and heated steering wheel buttons are. Very convenient feature, no need to smear the nav screen with finger prints.[/QUOTE]

In the XJ there also is a hard button to turn the whole parking sensor system on or off, it's on the top by the sunroof controls.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM

In the XJ there also is a hard button to turn the whole parking sensor system on or off, it's on the top by the sunroof controls.
Oh that is good then! Good to know there's no need to go through menus to turn the thing off.

I usually turn it off when I am at bank drive thru stalls for example.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Oh that is good then! Good to know there's no need to go through menus to turn the thing off.

I usually turn it off when I am at bank drive thru stalls for example.
Keep in mind that the parking sensors do not turn on automatically when driving forward -- they only turn on when in reverse. You must manually activate the parking sensors when going forward. This is different than every other car that I have driven and in my opinion, it was a pretty stupid design decision by Jaguar. I think someone here posted that the dealer can activate automatic activation for forward motion and I plan on asking my dealer next time I visit. I've been fortunate enough not to have any issues with my car so far and this isn't a big enough deal to go in just to turn this feature on so I'll just live with it for now.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
Keep in mind that the parking sensors do not turn on automatically when driving forward -- they only turn on when in reverse. You must manually activate the parking sensors when going forward. This is different than every other car that I have driven and in my opinion, it was a pretty stupid design decision by Jaguar. I think someone here posted that the dealer can activate automatic activation for forward motion and I plan on asking my dealer next time I visit. I've been fortunate enough not to have any issues with my car so far and this isn't a big enough deal to go in just to turn this feature on so I'll just live with it for now.
So for example, when you are pulling into your garage and getting close to the wall in front of you, the sensors will not warn you that you're about to touch the wall? I mean, do you need to turn them on every time you need them? That seems odd.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So for example, when you are pulling into your garage and getting close to the wall in front of you, the sensors will not warn you that you're about to touch the wall? I mean, do you need to turn them on every time you need them? That seems odd.
my car sensors in front must be turned on all the time because when i get too close to something in front it alerts me...i dont turn the sensors on and are on all the time i guess

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM

I have to turn mine on when pulling into the garage every time. At first, I thought it was defective, but the manual states very explicitly that it only turns on automatically in reverse and you must manually activate it in forward.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

From the owner's manual:
The sensors are active when the gear
selector is in neutral and in drive after moving
from reverse. Therefore an audible warning
tone will sound if an obstacle is detected.

I've attached the section of the manual itself below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
parking_aid.pdf (265.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

thats strange i dont have to press the parking aid button "on" and it still will alert me when some car behind me gets too close or when someone walks behind the car while sitting in traffic or at a stoplight...even after driving the car around town and whn i return home and pull into garage it will beep if i get too close to the wall

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJag
thats strange i dont have to press the parking aid button "on" and it still will alert me when some car behind me gets too close or when someone walks behind the car while sitting in traffic or at a stoplight...even after driving the car around town and whn i return home and pull into garage it will beep if i get too close to the wall
Sounds like yours never turn off. Can you manually turn them off with the parking aid button?

I wish I could turn mine off completely so they dont come on when I engage reverse, when I back my car out of the garage in the morning this thing goes crazy beeping all over the place the front sensors beeping through the front speakers the rear sensors beeping through the rear speakers very distracting I end up having to manually turn it off every day. The rear camera is enough for me.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Yep, sue-happy land is to blame, BUT.... I had the same annoyance on my car (LS460) and they finally reprogrammed to just a warning message **without** any "I agree" buttons to press, and it goes away in exact 3 seconds.
Mine shows the agree button, but also goes away after about 3 seconds even if I do not choose agree. Seems better to have either option in my opinion.

As to the parking sensors.... That's a design issue. I believe the correct behavior for those would be to be always active and beep whenever you're close to hitting anything (front or back) at all times. Car owner could have an actual hard button to turn the whole system off if he/she wanted to. In the LS460 this button exists, and it is on the left side of the dashboard close to where the trunk, gas lid and heated steering wheel buttons are. Very convenient feature, no need to smear the nav screen with finger prints.
If the system always beeped at you anytime you were close to another object - the system would drive you insane when you are in traffic. Everyone saying "it should always beep" needs to think about how annoying that would be in stop and go traffic for a daily commute...

Originally Posted by MDJag
This is very strange - and not how the manual describes the system should work. It should disengage automatically a few moments after going from reverse to drive. Maybe you should swap cars with the other guys saying they want theirs to work this way

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM

-just curious why you feel that a black warning message screen with front sensors still operational is more effective than going back to the radio/nav or whatever screen while the front sensors are still operational? It's not like that black alert screen is doing you any good visually. The front sensor isn't going to appear. In my mind, it's just a software glitch. If they wanted to leave the screen on to show the front and rear sensors, I can understand the logic, otherwise...I'm not getting it.
I believe you may be seeing something different than I am. When moving from reverse to drive, I do not get a black box. I get a grayish box that shows an outline drawing of the car. If I get close to something (either front or rear) I get a visual alert around the front or rear bumper indicating that I am getting close to an object. The visual alerts coincide with the beeping as well.

-has your TMS actually come on to tell you there is a traffic jam yet? I'd be interested to know if that's happened to anyone. Perhaps a flaw in the TMS software having nothing to do with Jag, but I've sat in bumper to bumper many times now without a hint of acknowledgement. Curious to know if it's been useful to others.

I just returned from a 4 hour trip, and I did get one popup rerouting me around an event. I also noticed that once I traveled outside my home area the TMS icon changed to a symbol with a strike line through it. I was very surprised to see that as I approached the next major city the system automatically searched for and found a new station for TMS.

I don’t think the system will pop up and reroute you unless you have a destination entered into the system. Its not smart enough to recalculate based just on the current road – it needs a destination point entered to recalculate from. There is also a setting for "all events" or "major events" - I believe the default is "major events". You might switch to "all events" and see if you get more alerts.

Quick Reply: New SC XJL ZERO issues