XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

newbie with rattle in rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have experienced the rear rattling noise today and over the weekend. I wonder if it's tied to extreme cold weather conditions. Outside temperature has been in the -17 Celsius range during this period. I'll wait until it warms up and see if it continues.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Puma
I too have experienced the rear rattling noise today and over the weekend. I wonder if it's tied to extreme cold weather conditions. Outside temperature has been in the -17 Celsius range during this period. I'll wait until it warms up and see if it continues.
When it's extreme cold I still get some noises, but it seems more from the headliner. Once the interiour warms up it gets quieter. When I take car out of my heated garage its fine. When I drive it after parking outside a few hours in the cold I get (although now on rare occassions) that noise.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gears,
Please send me a PDF jcampeg@hotmail.com

Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 PM

OK, will do. I am a noise expert soon. BUT my car is noise free now. And even in the terrible cold we had in Chicago, no noise. Conclusion: All minor stuff and a good tech will be able to fix without totally taking your car apart.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by gears
OK, will do. I am a noise expert soon. BUT my car is noise free now. And even in the terrible cold we had in Chicago, no noise. Conclusion: All minor stuff and a good tech will be able to fix without totally taking your car apart.
Gears ,
Please send email so i can show dealer.
Tks,
jcampeg@hotmail.com

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gears:

If you have a the time I would also appreciate a copy of anything you can share, as my car is going in to the dealership with the noise issue also and I would love to hand them something at that time.

jbkramp@gmail.com

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Default Tsb

OK, sorry for the delay. Will send. I was traveling and didn't have it on my laptop. Will do quickly today.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the roof popping sound also and its driving me nuts. The dealer said he took care of it pre-delivery but im not so sure....can you email me the pdf also.

esg1@mac.com

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, sorry for the delay. Will send. I was traveling and didn't have it on my laptop. Will do quickly today.
Gears:

I too would appreciate a copy. I have been to my dealers thrice for the noise issue without resolution.

Please kindly send to: bayorinde17@yahoo.com

Much appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
gears (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 AM

Ok guys. Will do. I will ask admin to post here to download for all of you. I cant keep up.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Ok guys. Will do. I will ask admin to post here to download for all of you. I cant keep up.
Gears,
thank you.
how did you get that info?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM

Anybody can get the info. Jaguar has an online service info system. Basically a website. I believe they call it Topix. Its not free. You can buy access for as short as 1 day. It is not expensive either. I posted the info previously on this forum somewhere.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been there. I wish Jaguar have a stronger owner support website. With my crappy Lincoln Navigator I could register with my VIN as a owner and get access to all the bulletins and anything else that affected my car.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM

This is my 2nd car a replacement so far I get a noise on a certain bump like a pothole but it's not the same acorn sound from the roof .
This one is coming from way in the back maybe from the speaker headliner or something in the trunk?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

sorry to hear so many of you are having the rattles/creeking/popping from the roof or headliner. I have dealt with numerous noises from the roof. it seem to be worse on the earlier vin cars. Depending where your noise is coming from it can be any number of things making noise. it could be as simple as a broken headliner clip - if you had the k064 enhanments/updates done your headliner was lowered to update parts on you sunblind so it is possible that a clip broke and the headliner is making the noise. the creeking noises usually comes from the sunroof track. during assembly at the factory they didnt tighten the track evenly and is sitting unevenly against the roof and makes a creeking noise. the popping noise can be a couple things, there are alignment pins for the sunroof track that are threaded and rub against the track and make a popping noise when the body flexes and there are also alignment pins for the front and rear windshields that some times also make noise. The hardest noise that ive had to find so far is a body rivet making a creeking noise when flexing the body of the car (i.e stopping, acceling, turning). Since the car is pretty much held together by rivets and glue it can be very hard to trace down which rivet it is.

The key to getting your noise(s) fixed at your local dealer is describing what you hear and where you hear it from in as much detail as you can, describe conditions hot, cold, over large bumps, body flex. You best chance of getting it fixed is have the mechanic fixing it go for a ride with you and point out the noises, that way you are on the same page.

Most of these problem areas should have been addressed during the k064 updates, but what i noticed at my dealer is that certain techs pay a little less attention to detail when it comes to rattles, especially if the car is still new car inventory or if the customer is not complaining about a rattle.

Hopes this helps

The following users liked this post:
gears (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Well put. Thanks for the info. I, too found after dealer did TSB work and their own, broken clip is not uncommon. Especially the one in the center back of the headliner.
I.e. my dealer had to get into the passenger side door to fix the small light in the door handle. (Never was there from day one). Since then I have a speaker rattle. And they didn't properly attach wood panel. So it is either go back to dealer (possible over and over, eventhough my dealer is pretty good) or do some re-work yourself.
I.e. I did a lot of re-work in the headliner clips. Placing little foam pieces (window insulation type) around clip and other little tricks. And that eliminated most noises. I only have one very minor body twist noise left, but it appears seldom and I tend to agree, that all there is left to look for is a riveted seem. Not worth the time.
I got rid of all the other terrible noises after the K064 was done. The rest is probably being me now over sensitive and "looking" for noises.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM

The speaker rattle might be the wood rattling, the clips are pretty much one time use. Or I had a couple where the speaker grill rattles in the wood. One other time the bolts for the window regulator were loose. On a couple other car I found the plug that goes over the screw in the release handle bezel was loose and rattling. I also had one where the switch pack was rattling.

Just a couple things to check if you want to tackle it yourself.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks austinmartus.
I will check those out over the weekend. I'd rather do that myself. The dealer didn't even put the clip cor the wood panel in correctly at first. I am not upset with the dealer as I am realistic and know how things work. And that is why I will tackle that myself. That will be faster and better then going to the dealer a few times.
Sounds like you found some noises in your door as well. I still love the car though.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 PM

it wasnt my xj (i wish i had a new xj), it was the many new xj's i've worked on. The dealer i work at has the account for all the Jaguar press vehicles in the Detroit metro area and they had 8 XJs 3 months before they were delivered to the public and i was the only one in our shop that was allowed to touch them. all of them had vins under 800, so they had none of the kinks worked out.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by austinmartus
it wasnt my xj (i wish i had a new xj), it was the many new xj's i've worked on. The dealer i work at has the account for all the Jaguar press vehicles in the Detroit metro area and they had 8 XJs 3 months before they were delivered to the public and i was the only one in our shop that was allowed to touch them. all of them had vins under 800, so they had none of the kinks worked out.
Well, you did get close to them. Vin number under 800 means barely anything works on the infotainment system. You got the perfect cars to learn about all the kinks. I hope you got to at least drive them. Besides being beuatyful, I tell you, they drive nice. But I am a tinkerer, so I am glad I have my good old '03 XK8. Btw, Porsche 914...nice classic. We called them VW Porsche where I come from. (which is the country they built them in).

Quick Reply: newbie with rattle in rear