XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

No V8 option

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry No V8 option

Does anybody know why Jaguar in its infinite wisdom does Not offer a V8 option on their base XJL Portfolio?

In the US, we love V8's and those that don't can opt for the six banger ....!!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

It's consistent with the rest of Jaguar's lineup and follows the general trend of most auto manufacturers downsizing engines to improve EPA average mileage ratings. V8s are being reserved for only top-end models.

Mercedes for instance is replacing most of their 550 models (4.7l v8) with 400 models (3l v6) so that only AMG models have V8s

Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by another_geek
It's consistent with the rest of Jaguar's lineup and follows the general trend of most auto manufacturers downsizing engines to improve EPA average mileage ratings. V8s are being reserved for only top-end models.

Mercedes for instance is replacing most of their 550 models (4.7l v8) with 400 models (3l v6) so that only AMG models have V8s
Read it and weep.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM

For the life of me, do they NOT do any market research?. We in the US Love V8's and now we are being penalized and receiving 45hp less in a Jaguar ... AND, I believe the price remains the same for LESS ....

Read it and WEEP is so true John!!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't get the problem. You say no V-8 option, but there are several V-8 options, all supercharged. Apparenty you want the base model with an optional engine. You can have that, but are apparently complaining that it isn't base anymore. Well, duh, no it isn't base if you specify options. Perhaps what you seek is a high end model for a base model price. We all do, but it doesn't happen often.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Swimref
I don't get the problem. You say no V-8 option, but there are several V-8 options, all supercharged. Apparenty you want the base model with an optional engine. You can have that, but are apparently complaining that it isn't base anymore. Well, duh, no it isn't base if you specify options. Perhaps what you seek is a high end model for a base model price. We all do, but it doesn't happen often.
**** My 2012 XJL has a standard NA V8. ****

ALL I'm saying is that NA V8 no longer exists in the base XJL.
NO apparently anything, simply disappointed Jaguar substituted a 6 banger, simple as that ...

Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse James

NO apparently anything, simply disappointed Jaguar substituted a 6 banger, simple as that ...
You are not alone in being disappointed. I have the NA V8s in both, my '12XJL and in my '12XF and can not imagine getting a new model with any of the offered smaller engines. I am also not interested in the SC model, as I do not feel that my use for particularly the XJL would justify the increased price, complexity and the reduced fuel economy.

The following users liked this post:
Jesse James (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Your disappointment is misplaced. Jaguar is only playing the game they have to play, like it or not. Look to your tree-hugger neighbors and their cronies in the Federal Gov't. that insist on telling you how to live, and what you can and can't have. Jaguar has added the 2.0L Turbo 4 cyl. to the line-up to offset the V8 so they can produce a few more for people like you and me. Unfortunately, Jaguar gets slammed for that as well. "Doesn't feel like a Jaguar", "doesn't sound like a Jaguar", all sorts of complaints. So they are between a rock and a very hard place. It's going to be that way until enough people get tired of being told what to do by the "tolerant", "I know what's best for you" persuasion, that they vote them out.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Angus (07-23-2014), Kodiak (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Your disappointment is misplaced. Jaguar is only playing the game they have to play, like it or not. Look to your tree-hugger neighbors and their cronies in the Federal Gov't. that insist on telling you how to live, and what you can and can't have. Jaguar has added the 2.0L Turbo 4 cyl. to the line-up to offset the V8 so they can produce a few more for people like you and me. Unfortunately, Jaguar gets slammed for that as well. "Doesn't feel like a Jaguar", "doesn't sound like a Jaguar", all sorts of complaints. So they are between a rock and a very hard place. It's going to be that way until enough people get tired of being told what to do by the "tolerant", "I know what's best for you" persuasion, that they vote them out.

Cheers,
Completely with you on your thoughts.. Jag has no option with the US federal mandated gas mileage targets.
Lawrence

Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday I had my '12 XF in for its yearly free service. The loaner car provided by the dealer was a Land Rover LR2 with the same 2.0 engine as the Jags come with. Total disappointment, no way I would remotely consider purchasing this car.

IMHO, a "premium" category car, like a Land Rover or Jaguar, should has as STANDARD most of the popular equipment that is available on your garden variety of Toyotas or Ford Focuses. Not the case; the LR2 was a plain "stripper". 4 banger with no rear view camera, no navigation, no lane departure warning, plastic everything.... a base stripper. Many or most econo cars are better equipped these days. The Jaguar base XF is somewhat better equipped, at least it has leather dash but, still no navigation, back up camera or adaptive lights or adaptive cruise control. At least the Jags had that wonderful V8 before that could tip the decision why we would want to spend premium dollars. Now, with the the run-of-the mill 4-banger econo engine I can't see why anyone would want to spend a third more on a Jag or LR than on a fully optioned average model. On top of it, my observed fuel economy in the LR2 was pretty bad, much worse than the same engine in the XF.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Epa

Does anybody know why Jaguar in its infinite wisdom does Not offer a V8 option on their base XJL Portfolio?

In the US, we love V8's and those that don't can opt for the six banger ....!!
Ah! More government intervention. We elect them to work for us and they spend their time legislating auto manufacturers to do things we don't necessarily want them to do.

America, what a country!

Luck
King Fala

The following users liked this post:
Jesse James (08-09-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by KingFala
Ah! More government intervention. We elect them to work for us and they spend their time legislating auto manufacturers to do things we don't necessarily want them to do.
America, what a country!
Luck
King Fala
It's called democracy, the same form of government that brought Hitler to power.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
Ah! More government intervention. We elect them to work for us.....

....and instead they work us over!!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Heck, gimme a V12 jag again. V6 is for commuter cars, grocery getters. Nothing compares to the sound of big displacement V8 and some V12 engines. Just listen to the Aston Martin V12 Vantage exhaust note

V6 =

V8 =

V8 SC =

V12 =

Old 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Heck, gimme a V12 jag again. V6 is for commuter cars, grocery getters. Nothing compares to the sound of big displacement V8 and some V12 engines. Just listen to the Aston Martin V12 Vantage exhaust note

V6 =

V8 =

V8 SC =

V12 =
Yeap, take an other step and give me a short-stroke exotic Italian V12. When I was involved with the Lamborghini club we used to rev our engines just for public service consumption. The sounds of the V12 made even old ladie's knees buckle from joy :-)

On a good note, I have a visitor at my house right now, the President of the Lamborghini Club. When I took him around in my XKR he stated that it had the best V8 sounds he had ever heard.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

Maybe the blame-the-government comments above are tongue-in-cheek, I can't tell.

Maybe Jaguar really is the brand of villains.

Maybe Jaguar is working to ensure it has a future. Audi's motto is appropriate here: Vorsprung durch Technik.

Seriously though, what is it you guys are missing by not having a non-SC V8? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to understand your position and explore the idea.

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-13-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

I'd take an inline 6 over anything but a V12 (next car). My very personal opinion is that a V6 is an ugly dog of a configuration. There's one in my Tacoma.

But V8s etc aside, how do you feel about cars having artificial or modified engine sounds piped into the cabin on some new cars? Or actually playing through speakers? Or flaps in the exhaust system so you can change the sound as you like? To me it's all b*llsh*t.

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Maybe the blame-the-government comments above are tongue-in-cheek, I can't tell.

Maybe Jaguar is working to ensure it has a future. Audi's motto is appropriate here: Vorsprung durch Technik.

Seriously though, what is it you guys are missing by not having a non-SC V8? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to understand your position and explore the idea.
U.S. Jaguar owners, perhaps rather than villains, tend to be successful people who think and take care of themselves. Many may dislike Marxist politicians and government agencies that are corrupt (i.e. our IRS); incompetent (i.e. our VA); careless (i.e. our CDC); or intrusive (i.e. our NSA).
Certainly Jaguar is working to ensure it has a future, and that means they must conform to Big Brother's arbitrary dictates. We certainly don't want to foster class revolt by driving around in naturally aspirated 5.0 Liter V-8 cars.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM

I'd take an inline 6 over anything but a V12 (next car). My very personal opinion is that a V6 is an ugly dog of a configuration. There's one in my Tacoma.

But V8s etc aside, how do you feel about cars having artificial or modified engine sounds piped into the cabin on some new cars? Or actually playing through speakers? Or flaps in the exhaust system so you can change the sound as you like? To me it's all b*llsh*t.
I haven't experienced artificial or modified engine sounds piped into the cabin or played through speakers, so I'll reserve judgement.
My '09 Vette has the high-performance exhaust system with "flaps" that open automatically (and bypass the restrictive mufflers) under aggressive use to increase horsepower (and intimidate those you blow pass). Unfortunately under normal driving conditions it was as quiet as a Lexus, so I permanently cracked the closed valves slightly open. It now burbles idling, growls accelerating, and 'pops' when downshifting (it's a manual; I'd be embarrassed to own any torque converter "sports" car).
I abhor inconsiderate a-holes whose exhaust would wake the dead, merely retired folks like myself, or those trying to enjoy a church service or open-air concert. On the other hand, I feel sorry for today's teens that have to drive "rice rockets" with "fart cans"; they are so "neutering".
Anyhow, we all will be transitioning to electric "streetcars" in the near future, so enjoy the sounds of powerful internal combustion engines while they last. In 1945 ninety percent of U.S. locomotives where steam engines, seven years latter 90% were diesels.
If you never had your whole being shaken by a charge of thundering cavalry horses, or a steam engine explosively starting up a train, or a monster V-8 catapulting your car off the line, you have missed lifetime experiences that are irreplaceable.

The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
LiquidIce (08-14-2014), Mkii250 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM

In a wor 'CHOICE'.

Quick Reply: No V8 option