XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

OEM 20" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM 20" Wheels

I'm looking at a new XJ and I really prefer the look of the 20's over the 19's. I live in Los Angeles and road quality is pretty crappy overall. I don't mind a slightly harsher ride but what I do care about it wheel damage. Does anybody have any experience with the OEM 20's? Are they durable? Thank you!

Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

If I say yes and you bend one in a pothole, you'll blame me. So just "what" is in it for me?
The roads here are a lot better than they were 50 years ago. I really don't expect any trouble with mine for a while.
I have heard a lot of people complain about all kinds of rims on the East coast.
I wouldn't expect much difference between 19" and 20" as far as durability goes.
I went from 16" to 17" on my eighties cars back in the day I didn't notice much of a difference. Those rims have 200,000 miles and still going with no problem.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The risk of wheel damage from a pothole increases as tire profile (sidewall height) decreases because there is less air (or nitrogen. if that's what you use) to cushion the impact. 20" tires have a lower profile than 19's and, therefore, are more vulnerable than 19's. Even if you never hit a pothole, you're still vulnerable to curb rash since the sidewalls on both 19's and 20's are too low to provide any protection from the epidemic of runaway curbs.

Most OEM Jaguar wheels are cast aluminum alloy, but a few high performance models came from the factory fitted with forged wheels, which are much stronger but more expensive. Forged wheels should withstand pothole damage better than cast wheels, but they're both equally susceptible to curb rash. Everyone I know with 19's or 20's has curbed at least 1 wheel. It comes with the territory.

OEM Jaguar wheels are just as durable as any other wheels of similar manufacture. But once an alloy wheel has been damaged (other than cosmetically) and repaired by welding, its structural integrity has been compromised. Even though repair shops will guarantee that the repaired wheel is "as good as new" and will run smooth and won't leak air, I won't risk using a wheel that has been welded; the area surrounding the weld isn't as strong as new and is more likely to crack if you hit a pothole or other road hazard. A brand new wheel is cheap compared to the value of my life and the lives of my passengers.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, Jaggyjeff.. I live in L.A. as well and have the 20's. Had the XJ for 15 months now w no bent rims(knock on wood).. I live in Korea town area and drive to many different places w bad road conditions and haven't had a bent/cracked rim yet. If you are use to having 20's you will be fine w Jag oem wheels... Unless you go over some crazy big potholes, you will be fine. (I had gone over some potholes w no issues) Just make sure to get to know the road before your spirited driving

The following users liked this post:
JaggyJeff (12-02-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I would say it really depends on the road surface. There are at least half a dozen of us on the XF forum who have had real issues with bending the 20inch oem wheels. They seem to be really soft and with the narrow tire sidewall very prone to bending. Even without hitting any noticeable potholes the front ones of mine were bent causing a vibration within a couple of years and I also cracked the inner edge of a rear one which I had to replace (didn’t like the idea of welding)

So my opinion would be to stick with the 19s if you can. Mine unfortunately has the huge brakes so I can’t get 19s on mine otherwise I prob would have downsized when I bought a new set (non oem) a couple of years ago

The following users liked this post:
JaggyJeff (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I read the XJR's have forged rims so I am hoping they will be somewhat damage resistant!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I read the XJR's have forged rims so I am hoping they will be somewhat damage resistant!
Could be - but I don’t think so. I thought only the XF-RS had forged rims and the rest were all cast. But worth checking. Please do post back if you discover other forged OEM 20inch rims as lots of folks would be interested. FWIW another new thread on the XF forum yesterday with an XFR owner with the Nevis 20inch rims having a lot of trouble. Had them all straightened and he says he has been very careful and just a year on some are bent again...

Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

This is from the 2014 XJR Introduction;

Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent. Great to know. I hadn’t come across those yet. So seems like at least 2 forged sets and at least one that fits the XJ (assuming those work on other XJ models too)

So to the OP - I would strongly consider the forged. More expensive up front but repairing and replacing wheels adds up fast...

Here is my (non oem) 20 inch on the XF SC after a pothole on a main road a few weeks ago. Needless to say it’s not repairable...

Attached Thumbnails OEM 20" Wheels-photo353.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Wow that's a bad one! Hope the replacement is not too expensive!

If you don't know is there any way to tell by looking at the wheel if it's forged or not?
I know on cranks/rods and other engine parts you can look at the parting lines to tell if it's forged.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Ouch, but all is not lost. Make it into a table by putting a round piece of plate glass on top.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Wow that's a bad one! Hope the replacement is not too expensive!

If you don't know is there any way to tell by looking at the wheel if it's forged or not?
I know on cranks/rods and other engine parts you can look at the parting lines to tell if it's forged.
Thanks. Rohana (the manufacturer of the wheel) gave me a discount on the replacement as they were surprised too...
I don't know any specific way to tell if it's forged. Just watch out for descriptions like 'rotary forged' which is often mentioned by manufacturers but doesn't mean they are actually forged...