XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Offline SDD, Battery Chargers, Genuine Drew Tech Mongoose

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 04:57 PM
Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Offline SDD, Battery Chargers, Genuine Drew Tech Mongoose

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new toy and I'm set on a Range Rover, a 2012 L322 mainly. I am big into dealer diagnostics, have a couple PDUs I use for my older XJ40 and have used on my X300 XJ12. I'm posting here in the X351 forum in hopes that there are others with experience using SDD with their 2010+ MY cars.

I like to prepare and get things in order, so I'm here to find out about SDD versions, interfaces, etc. My parents have a 2013 BMW X3 (F25) and 2014 BMW X (F15), and with the very minimal outlay of $20 for the ENET cable (RJ45 ethernet to OBDII) and some hours configuring BMW's Rheingold/ISTA, I have a fully functioning dealer diagnostics solution for their vehicles. I'd like the same for my future RR.

I've played around with SDD a bit, but from what I hear, the slightly older versions are able to run offline without having to connect to Topix. I've read a lot about bricking or otherwise corrupting modules by trying to reprogram with cloned Mangoose cables. I'm currently in contact with Drew Tech about authorized resellers of their genuine Mongoose JLR interface. I've also seen reference to DA-Dongle J2534 interfaces which are quite bit less money and are supposedly supported by JLR.

In researching BMW ISTA programming features and requirements, I've learned the importance of voltage stabilization with high amperage battery chargers. Most consumer grade chargers aren't up to the task. An X5 can draw 50A+ when programming and will abort procedures if it senses the voltage drops below a certain threshold. I have a few HP Common Slot 1200W server power supply units, and will modify one with heavy gauge wires and clamps. These PSUs are rated to output 100A on the 12V bus and will work perfectly as programming booster.

Any users of SDD, and recommendations on which version would be preferable for offline use? Also, Engineering Mode? I most certainly would be interesting in doing retrofit and modifications like that (not that there are many for US-spec FFRRs). Would Engineering mode be required to modify the CCFs?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by NTL1991; 07-29-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

I use a CTEK MXTS 40 as a voltage source when using SDD. You can set the voltage you want during supply - 12.6V is the minimum needed for reprogramming most modules so I have mine set to 12.8V. It will supply 40A @ 12V, and going by the built-in display I have never needed more than 30A working on X351/X350/X260/X152.

I still use an original Ford VCM with a lifetime license for the canbus cars, and the JLR DoIP VCI for IP cars (started being phased in from 2016). Back when I started with IDS and then SDD the Mongose was not an option, but as you've found nowadays JLR support a lot more affordable interfaces. I gather the Mongose is quite popular on this forum (maybe moreso in the other model subforums than this one) so hopefully you will get some feedback from Mongose users.

I use the latest (up-to-date) SDD and Pathfinder versions. I do have a subscription to use them from TOPIx, however I have patched my SDD to remove the logon prompt because I kept forgetting my password (you are forced to change it every few months and I rely on auto-fill in my web browser to remember it). I can't share on here how to do that, but it didn't cost me any money and does not interfere with the regular updates. It was not hard to find with a web search and a popular Russian 3 letter auto forum. My understanding is that removes the need for a subscription entirely from SDD (it doesn't patch Pathfinder, but you won't use that with a 2012 L322).

You will need engineering access for almost all CCF changes (basically anything that is not a dealer option, such as mirror dipping or turning on/off the wiper drip mode, etc). If you PM me I can point you to a website that will give you either 3 or 5 free codes per 24h (I forget which it is). They also provide a tool at a reasonable price for working with the encrypted XML files should you need access to them.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
Necromant1k (08-03-2021), NTL1991 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 PM

That's a nice looking CTEK! I like the "supply" mode that would do exactly what we need for programming. Thanks for the heads up.

I am planning on installing SDD on the same Siemens OE BMW ISID tablet to have one device for BMW and JLR. I have downloaded and installed the latest version from the JLR servers and it runs fine. It's a rugged piece of equipment and has a nice docking station. I was able to score 4 others (without dock and HDD) but I'd like to keep one for myself, and maybe set the others up for resale.

I was thinking about possibly doing a dual-boot setup, where I have an authentic, up to date, unmodified SDD installation for subscription based Topix use that would be supported by JLR Techline, and a second partition and SSD installation that would allow for offline use without a subscription. But that's interesting about that removal of the login screen... Sounds like one of the "Certificate" mods I've been reading about. That would eliminate the need for an "offline" version, right? I'll have to check into how to get that done...

It seems newer versions of SDD (V151+) no longer have the VDF files stored locally, but rather obtain the information from the JLR server as needed. I'm not sure if this would limit the functionality of a newer version of SDD.

I do have V145, V149, V150, V157 and the current V159 ready and waiting to be tested. I did come across that site you mention with the daily codes. Does the code only allow for one single-time use of Engineering Mode? Meaning each time you reconnect, you'd need a new code?

I still have lots to research so that's why I'm doing this proactively.

Last edited by NTL1991; 07-30-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by NTL1991
Sounds like one of the "Certificate" mods I've been reading about. That would eliminate the need for an "offline" version, right? I'll have to check into how to get that done...
It behaves exactly as the online version for me. You can still connect to JLRs servers for the downloads. (As you found, files from about 2013 onwards are downloaded adhoc.)
NB I can't be certain that my modified install is not still authenticating with my active subscription in the background (I don't think it is, as the user for the first and only login after patching was different, but I have no way of testing it).

Originally Posted by NTL1991
Does the code only allow for one single-time use of Engineering Mode? Meaning each time you reconnect, you'd need a new code?
Yes - the codes are per session.

The following users liked this post:
NTL1991 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM

Awesome info! Thank you very much.

I think I'll install the latest version and dig around a bit for that modification. Google Translate is a good friend of mine now.

Thanks again,
Nick

Old 07-31-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I use an IOTA DLS-55. 55 AMPS @13.4 VDC. More than adequate! But it's expensive and after lurking for several months I snagged a used on on EBay for $85 with all the leads cut off including the power cord! So some repair was needed. I did not believe I needed this at first since I already had a pretty good 50 amp battery charger. BUT I was very wrong and I still think most home guys problems stem from not getting a properly rated DC power supply and that is NOT a battery charger!

I run SDD 159. I get all updates and vehicle file info downloads. No log in since it's been hacked. I have been told to never update or connect the laptop to the internet but SDD starts nagging me to update if I wait too long. Then if I ignore that it says functionality will start to be disabled in steps until you do update. Not sure what that is about as many have posted they installed one version and never updated it. Mine will also fall back properly on older cars to the WDS/IDS mode and I can service what seems to be a very wide range of years.

So far I have had at least 12-14 updates and everything works fine with a clone cable that I paid $60 from china.
I have done a huge amount of stuff with it. Like adding keys when the car only has one or none. That's a bit of a scary procedure!

I also bricked a car when attempting to level and calibrate the air suspension on a 2008 XJ. Only thing on the dash was "Diagnosis Mode". Turn the key and nothing, no lights, no beeps nothing.
Thankfully I have read enough from Cambo to understand you really can't destroy the modules or the car. So back into SDD I went. About 1 1/2 hours later doing scans and such and the car was back just as it was. Still not exactly sure what or how I got it back. This is my biggest problem with SDD is there is no training materials and it's a very difficult system to use.
I sure did sweat bullets for that 1 1/2 hours!!

One last thing is PATIENCE!! This is very slow and clunky software so let it sit and do it's thing. I mean for 30-45 minutes. DO NOT get in a hurry. How I bricked the car was SDD got stuck in a loop leveling the car and never finished. This is another giant problem in SDD. There is an abort command but it appears to only work sometimes and in some places. So just closing the program while it's doing something is not what you want to do but after several hours it appeared it would never finish and I had no choice but to pull the plug.

I don't use Engineering mode and never had to deal with codes for access. Maybe I will in the future?

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
NTL1991 (08-01-2020), sukhoy1972 (03-04-2021)
Old 07-31-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I run SDD 159. I get all updates and vehicle file info downloads. No log in since it's been hacked. I have been told to never update or connect the laptop to the internet but SDD starts nagging me to update if I wait too long. Then if I ignore that it says functionality will start to be disabled in steps until you do update. Not sure what that is about as many have posted they installed one version and never updated it.
I believe that you need to reset the PC date back to around when that particular software version was originally released.

My diagnostic laptop runs a bat file when it boots to automatically set it to the appropriate date depending on which version of SSD I am using. It does get confusing from a scan history point of view though!

Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 372 Posts

I use an IOTA DLS-55. 55 AMPS @13.4 VDC. More than adequate! But it's expensive and after lurking for several months I snagged a used on on EBay for $85 with all the leads cut off including the power cord! So some repair was needed. I did not believe I needed this at first since I already had a pretty good 50 amp battery charger. BUT I was very wrong and I still think most home guys problems stem from not getting a properly rated DC power supply and that is NOT a battery charger!

I run SDD 159. I get all updates and vehicle file info downloads. No log in since it's been hacked. I have been told to never update or connect the laptop to the internet but SDD starts nagging me to update if I wait too long. Then if I ignore that it says functionality will start to be disabled in steps until you do update. Not sure what that is about as many have posted they installed one version and never updated it. Mine will also fall back properly on older cars to the WDS/IDS mode and I can service what seems to be a very wide range of years.

So far I have had at least 12-14 updates and everything works fine with a clone cable that I paid $60 from china.
I have done a huge amount of stuff with it. Like adding keys when the car only has one or none. That's a bit of a scary procedure!

I also bricked a car when attempting to level and calibrate the air suspension on a 2008 XJ. Only thing on the dash was "Diagnosis Mode". Turn the key and nothing, no lights, no beeps nothing.
Thankfully I have read enough from Cambo to understand you really can't destroy the modules or the car. So back into SDD I went. About 1 1/2 hours later doing scans and such and the car was back just as it was. Still not exactly sure what or how I got it back. This is my biggest problem with SDD is there is no training materials and it's a very difficult system to use.

One last thing is PATIENCE!! This is very slow and clunky software so let it sit and do it's thing. I mean for 30-45 minutes. DO NOT get in a hurry. How I bricked the car was SDD got stuck in a loop leveling the car and never finished. This is another giant problem in SDD. There is an abort command but it appears to only work sometimes and in some places. So just closing the program while it's doing something is not what you want to do but after several hours it appeared it would never finish and I had no choice but to pull the plug.

I don't use Engineering mode and never had to deal with codes for access. Maybe I will in the future?
awesome tip. I WAS using a regular power supply and my voltages were always high and its output not filtered or regulated. But i was worried it was causing me some issues with SDD. So I just got one of those IOTA DLS-55. 55 AMP supplies off ebay for $100. Hopefully its what i need!

Last edited by Aarcuda; 08-01-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Good snag on the DLS-55! They are over $200 if new. That was a bit steep for a home guy.

Yes thanks for bringing up the date issue. I installed Deep Freeze which does what you describe but I messed up the installation some how. I had so many additional problems I tried to remove it and found these types of programs are very much installed in the guts of the OS. I removed it and tried to reinstall but no what I uninstalled or deleted I always got an error saying Deep Freeze was already installed.

So I got stuck trying to keep the date from being updated. I need to try to fix that again but so far I seem to be able to update SDD OK. Man does it take a long time to update!
I let it run all night or check it every couple of hours. But it does eventually update and work.

Any chance you could post the BAT file? Maybe I will try that in the future as it's much simpler.

Aarcuda (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Thanks again for all this great info.

I was able to get V159 all installed, "modified" and working fine, to the Auto VIN Read screen on my Siemens ISID.

I'm worried about the Mangoose cables. I've just read way too many brown trouser stories about them, and while I'll be saving money on the power supply by making one out of my server PSU, I think I'll get the approved DA-Dongle which is $215, new and genuine.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Good snag on the DLS-55! They are over $200 if new. That was a bit steep for a home guy.

Yes thanks for bringing up the date issue. I installed Deep Freeze which does what you describe but I messed up the installation some how. I had so many additional problems I tried to remove it and found these types of programs are very much installed in the guts of the OS. I removed it and tried to reinstall but no what I uninstalled or deleted I always got an error saying Deep Freeze was already installed.

So I got stuck trying to keep the date from being updated. I need to try to fix that again but so far I seem to be able to update SDD OK. Man does it take a long time to update!
I let it run all night or check it every couple of hours. But it does eventually update and work.

Any chance you could post the BAT file? Maybe I will try that in the future as it's much simpler.
ya whats the bat file?? I could use it too! Thanks

Old 08-01-2020, 01:47 PM

The BAT is simple. Open Notepad, and add these two lines:

@ECHO OFF
DATE 08-08-12

Using the correct date you wish to set. Then save it as a BAT file, making sure you select the Save As Type as "All Files" not "Text Documents (*.txt)."

You can drop the BAT file into your Windows Startup folder to have it load each time the computer is started, or you can add a line to the BAT file which executes SDD, and then use that BAT as your "shortcut" to opening SDD. It will change the date first, then start SDD automatically.

It's up to you how you decide to do it.

Make sure you open the Date and Time settings in Windows, and turn off the "Synchronize with an Internet time server option"

Aarcuda (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome thanks!

Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Yes a big thanks and I will add that to my list to do!

Old 08-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

question for you. I run v1.31 bc everyone says that has all VDF calibration and SPA files contained within it. Are you saying you are running V159 offline? Dont you need a subscription for the VDF and SPA files? How are you getting this to run offline? I see people saying they run later versions than 1.31 offline without a topix subscription but how? and is V155 or a later version something I should be using on my 06 STR? i am still trying to figure SDD out and once I do i will be omnipotent!

Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 PM

That was my same assumption: Older version with VDF and SPA offline was the way to go until xdave mentioned his experience.

From what I can tell, the certificate "mod" allows you to use the latest V159 as if you were logged in with a subscription... The mod I found includes a file which patches the original SDD application and comes with a username and password to log into the system with. I am not sure whether or not the date will have to be rolled back for this particular patch I am using. If that's the case, the BAT example I referenced above will work for that.

I do not yet have a DA-Dongle, or an L322 for that matter but once I do I will be testing this all out!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

I run 159 off-line or on-line. Yes I have downloaded thousands calibration files. I think these are called the VDF files?
I keep downloading until there are none left and I started with over 15,000 files to download. After a few days the system would lock up and I would totally power down/up and reboot everything and start downloading again.
Not sure if they were needed or not?

Here is the screen I use to get the vehicle update files.

I keep trying it until I get no more files available to download.

NTL1991 (08-07-2020)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all,
Had a quick question so hope this thread is still active.
I just bought a MY17 XJL and i am wondering if the Rotunda VCM will work with SDD.
I am seeing conflicting things about this but the people here seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject.
Thanks in advice.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Do some more searches as there is a list of adapters that will work with SDD.
Here are some things I have posted before that outline what works with what.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm just starting out with sdd, I managed to diagnose a few issues with the jag but I have one question, how do I save sessions and can I view previous sessions without being connected to the car?
The software seems quite tricky to navigate.
I'm using a drew tech mongoose and v130.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Offline SDD, Battery Chargers, Genuine Drew Tech Mongoose