XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can

I'm considering installing an oil catch can. I searched this Forum for detailed installation advice and recommended products without success.

Does does anyone have any experience with this company and its products? They appear to offer different kits for different years and models, but is this just marketing hype and it's really a one-size-fits-all catch can?
https://www.repairmanuals.co/product...-oil-catch-can

Can you recommend a particular catch can and post installation advice with photos? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I am puzzled why you would want to fit one.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I am puzzled why you would want to fit one.
Well, it’s real good in catching snake oil.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Stuart, I can see where an oil catch can will have some usefulness. Granted, if you are getting it because of a gain in performance/mileage/etc, then you might as well just light the money you are buying it with on fire. The only benefit that these really make would be for the intake of your car and keeping it clean (much less oil build up). I know it can be a benefit to the throttle body as it will not get nearly the build up that it does now. But, beyond that, not seeing much benefit. I think your big trick will be getting to the tube that pulls the suction on the crankcase and then maintaining that size tubing to the catch can and back. Playing with the tubing size can have unplanned effects on the oil.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

With a 4.2 SC engine there are significant benefits. On the 5.0 not so much because of better oil control.

On the 4.2 SC it will not just help alleviate the soft carbon build up in the TB but more importantly that build up in the charge cooler matrices which can all but block them after 60K miles and render them useless.

Many threads in here on this topic. Use Google to find them.

Not all catch cans are equal certain designs are better than others.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-19-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Why am I considering a catch can? Because my 5.0L engine is direct injected and I want to minimize buildup of carbon deposits on the back of the intake valves. I'm just not sure about the bang for the buck. So I'm seeking the advice of anyone who has installed one, preferably on a 5.0L Supercharged XJ . See:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...tch-can-works/

As I previously stated, I used the Advanced Search function to search this XJ Forum for detailed installation advice and recommended products. I started this new thread because there are no threads that answered my questions.

There are many threads on how to clean intake valve deposits, but I'd rather minimize or prevent them from happening in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (09-27-2022)
Old 03-20-2020, 12:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I did research this for myself, on seeing the high pressure pcv setup on the 5.0 SC i decided against it, my low pressure pcv to the intake is bone dry.
Interested to see how it performs Stuart, keep us posted on your findings.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member

I now understand ! Yes, GDI engines can get large buildups of crud on the inlet valves because there is no fuel squirted onto them to wash it off. However, if this is so, why dont' diesel engines suffer.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

What makes you think that diesel engines don't have carbon buildup? What do you think the black exhaust smoke is?
https://www.ezoil.com/news/article/c...-to-prevent-it

Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I did research this for myself, on seeing the high pressure pcv setup on the 5.0 SC i decided against it, my low pressure pcv to the intake is bone dry.
Interested to see how it performs Stuart, keep us posted on your findings.
That's an interesting point, but since I'm not a mechanic I don't understand why that matters.

I'd appreciate your more fully explaining how the 5.0L pvc high and low pressure setup works, and how that affected your decision to not install a catch can. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
What makes you think that diesel engines don't have carbon buildup? What do you think the black exhaust smoke is?
https://www.ezoil.com/news/article/c...-to-prevent-it
Black exhaust smoke? DPFs did away with that years ago. There's nought but butterflys and rainbows comes out of mine!

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Apologies Stuart for my misnomer of terminology regarding the emmission recirc system concerning crankcase ventilation.
These two pics are posted in another thread, i will link it.
So the partial load pcv line or as i called it(low pressure) runs through your righthand cylinder bank(if you were sitting in your vehicle) this runs through your dual pcv valves and recircs to the intake manifold on the S/C 5.0. I am unsure of the 3.0 S/C setup. This is the recirc line of primary interest for catch can install.
Although for myself on my vehicle i have inspected the outlet to the intake manifold and have not found it to be wet with oil on the inside wall of the hose.
I am in no way saying that oil is not bypassed and recirced into the intake, only the amount of oil i found, or rather lack thereof, i did not think warranted a catch can install.
However as previously stated i am interested to see the recovery of vented oil mist through this line if you chose to fit one Stuart.
Most of us are aware that some DI injection designs have had considerable impact on an engines efficiency due carbon deposits and the placement of the fuel injector inside the combustion chamber.
The left hand cylinder bank(viewed sitting in your vehicle) is also fitted with a crank case breather recirc line, but in the case of this bank the line is routed directly to the intake duct after the air filters. In the pic this line is named the full load breather and is what i referred to as (high pressure) line.
Upon inspection in my vehicle this line walls were also found to be dry.
I am not saying dont install a catch can, i am simply very intersted in seeing the results on a 5.0 S/C install, the results from inspection on my 5.0 S/C of both bank recirc lines was one of the deciding factors from which i decided to hold off on a catch can install, the other was the ccv partial load design inside of the righthand cylinder bank valve cover, so for the time being i will continue research and hope you Stuart can post some results so we all can help our engines perform as intended without the coke choking carbon.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...h-cans-207259/

Last edited by Lightspeed; 03-21-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Stuart S (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

As I stated in post #5 the 5.0 has much better oil control than the 4.2.

As for the DI carbon build up on the inlet valves you might want to consider a water/meth injection system if you are serious.

I do not have to worry about carbon build up on my inlet valves but I do worry about soft carbon build up in the charge coolers because I have seen it when I took them off at about 100k miles.

When I saw how bad they were I guessed that they would have significant build up at about 50k miles.

Not sure you have to worry about that on a 5.0 engine.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Let us know what you install.
I come from the American muscle side of things and an oil catch can is usually one of the first mods installed on any DI engine.
My other car is a 3.5L EcoBoost and many install catch cans and drain a good bit of junk out of them but I really don't know if it improves anything or not?

Stuart S (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

As I previously explained, I'm not a mechanic and I was seeking advice from anyone who already installed a catch can on a5.0LSC. I'm not comfortable being a catch can pioneer for fear of screwing something up and not being able to unscrew it.

So, don't hold your breath waiting for my catch my catch can installation post.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Adam J made his own and installed it on his XF 5.0 sc here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-138452/page4/

said he got ~ 6oz over 4K miles. So perhaps not insignificant.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Adam J made his own and installed it on his XF 5.0 sc here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-138452/page4/

said he got ~ 6oz over 4K miles. So perhaps not insignificant.
The internal design makes all the difference. ie baffles and where the tubes go inside those baffles.

A horizontal positioning is not great either compared to vertical in my opinion.

So I assume that his design is quite inefficient and yet still caught a significant amount of oil.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

At 80k miles my intake valves had minimal carbon buildup. Much less carbon buildup than the German cars. Jaguar designed the direct injection pretty good I’m my opinion.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

I think the main thing is that Jaguar came pretty late to the DI party, and were able to build on the experience of the early adopters. Hence they have been able to design the engine plumbing to minimise transfer of oil vapour from engine breathing into the inlet manifold.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine also had minimal carbon on the valves at 90k miles without doing anything. Though I have just started adding valve cleaner to my car maintenance routine.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can