Old 06-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Sorry posted at the same time!

The following users liked this post:
wombat (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 05:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Great! Thanks for that info wombat & clubairth1! I shall pursue this path on the next oil change,

Old 06-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

The ONLY reason I can see for swapping the drain plug is that it has a magnetic tip, designed to collect minute ferrous swarf. I just don't think it's worth the effort. As others have mentioned, the suction method is clean, quick, satisfying and cheap!

I would invest in the correct filter cap tool ($20) and an 8ltr suction pump.

I use Motul Specific JLR 5122 0W20, just my choice.

wombat

The following 2 users liked this post by wombat:
Na5h (06-26-2021), OzXFR (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Na5h
Great! Thanks for that info wombat & clubairth1! I shall pursue this path on the next oil change,
When sucking the old oil out using a vacuum pump and the extraction tube you need to make sure the plastic tube from the pump is attached nice and tight - air tight - to the OUTSIDE of the extraction tube. In other words you need to create and maintain a vacuum for the pump to work, that's why it's called a vacuum pump (duh!). Most pumps have a selection of tubes/attachments such that one of them will fit just right but some don't.
A very common question is "how do I push the plastic tube down to the bottom of the car's extraction tube?" and the answer is you don't (and you can't, the extraction tube has way too many 90 degree bends), as I said the tube goes around the outside.
To make matters worse there are many Youtube videos showing how to use a vacuum pump where they push the plastic tube down the dipstick hole into the sump, so some people assume this is the correct way for a Jag. No it ain't!

The following 5 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Harrosito (06-17-2021), kroache (06-18-2021), Na5h (06-18-2021), SouthSider (06-17-2021), wombat (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

I used a short short piece of old rubber vacuum hose to connect the tube on my vacuum pump, to the extraction tube, as they are a similar size.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark SF:
kroache (06-18-2021), Na5h (06-18-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent thread.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:23 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Castrol Edge Professional Synthetic 0W-20
https://www.roverparts.com/engine/mo...ives/CS15AF6F/

Old 09-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

If you look on Amazon, they are selling a kit that has 8 quarts of the above fluid, a filter, and a drain plug for $140. Granted, may want to hurry if you like this price as there are supposedly only 17 of these kits left.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:41 PM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Gentlemen, FYI should you want to stick with Castrol. Here is a response from Castrol with specific info on their oil spec and new nomenclature on their product as relates to our Jags :From: noreply@salesforce.com [mailto:noreply@salesforce.com] On Behalf Of ContactUs@bp.com
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2021 1:43 PM
Subject: Lubricant Recommendation Inquiry

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE Professional OE 5W-20 has been discontinued as of January 1, 2021.

Most Jaguar and Land Rover retailers have already switched to Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 and soon Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20 which are both backward compatible to any engine (AJ 126, AJ 133) that required Castrol EDGE Professional OE 5W-20.

Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20 is replacing Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 as it combines the cold climate performance of Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 (STJLR.51.5122 oil spec) and the fuel economy of Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20 (STJLR.03.5006 oil spec) into one product.

Like Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20, Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20 will only available for purchase through Jaguar and Land Rover dealership locations.

Presently Castrol EDGE 0W-20 E is available for purchased in the retail space in a 1 quart bottle size covering the Jaguar and Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 oil specification:
  • Castrol EDGE 0W-20 E – Part # 15B4B1 – 6 x 1 US Quart Bottle
A new product, Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC, covering Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 and STJLR.03.5006 oil specifications is expected to replace Castrol EDGE 0W-20 E in the retail space late 2021.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!
Castrol Consumer Relations

Attached Files
The following 4 users liked this post by Freddy J:
CptChaos (09-29-2021), rothwell (09-29-2021), Stuart S (09-29-2021), XJsss (09-30-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 01:01 AM

I went to the local Jaguar dealership, Annapolis, MD, to get a cabin filter. While at the counter, I couldn't help but notice two cases of Pronto 0W-20 oil on the counter. So, I inquired what they were for. The answer was that they were back up should they run out of the Castrol spec oil that they purchase in bulk. I was informed their oil supply is scarce. I guess you never know what they'll put in our precious AJ 126 & AJ 133 engines. Trust the dealership....Nope.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:38 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Never heard of Pronto Oil. And their 0W-20 does not even have ACEA C5 oil specification. So that oil is wrong wrong wrong for JLR engines even for other European cars such BMW, MB, VW or Volvo
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/prontosupreme.htm
The closest factory fill should they ran out of JLR oil specification STJLR.51.5122 is Castrol Edge 0W20

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 10-02-2021 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:26 PM

Somebody, should relate the above comment to the Service Manager at Annapolis Jag/Landrover... but not me. I need to stay friends with those guys since I live here. However, they will never get to change any fluid on my car.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Freddy, if you need to do an oil change, come on down south a little bit to California, MD and we can do the oil change in my drive way. We can get you taken care of. It doesn't take all that long. You want to do some other work on the car, we can do that too. I will let you know if I think we are getting outside of my comfort zone.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Don't you think that anything put out by Castrol will be nothing but an advertisement for Castrol?? Certainly nothing wrong with that but it's not an unbiased source of information. Also note that Jaguar and BP(Makers of Castrol) have signed a world wide marketing agreement. This means that Jaguar by contract will only specify/recommend Castrol products.

Remember "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut, because you ALWAYS need a haircut."

If you search there are currently 4 oils that meet the required spec and Castrol is one of them.

Just a note; The last time I let Jaguar change the oil they used the wrong oil!! At the dealership!! I took it all they way to Jaguar Technical in the UK before I got a reply that said yes it was the wrong oil but this is what we use in the US! They finally changed to Castrol and the dealership had to order it because the use Shell oil for everything.

So it's pretty obvious that the Castrol being magic juice is a bunch of BS. Their own dealers don't even use it. Just like you found that Pronto oil at the dealer.

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-03-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

clubairth, I guess I will side with Freddy on this for the moment to play devil's advocate. Let's say you take your car in because there was a major mechanical failure of the engine resulting in the need for replacement of the engine. As you are talking with the service manager, you mention that you religiously replace the oil using Pronto oil (correct weight) at the specified times (lets even say at shorter than required intervals). The dealership then says "the manual specifically states to use only Castrol oil" (which it does the last time I checked). So, at this point, who is correct and who isn't? The dealership can say that they use Jaguar recommended fluids (which would imply Castol). I can see this becoming a long, drawn out battle that I am sure that Jaguar is going to side with the dealership. The only saving grace that you would have is if the dealership was found to be using Pronto fluid. Then they would have a lot of explaining to do on their part. But, how many people have the inside knowledge of what the dealership uses? Most people simply go "the dealership replaced the oil, therefore they must have used the correct stuff". The only potential saving grace for an owner would be if you always had the oil changed at the dealership. Then they are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Very true Thermo and you make good points. BUT in the US with Magnuson–Moss Act warranty laws. Jaguar would have to prove the oil you used caused the engine problems. They can not deny warranty coverage for you using non factory aftermarket parts UNLESS they can prove that was the cause of the failure. This was to stop the car manufactures from requiring you to ONLY purchase service and repair parts from them.

This is exactly the same issue when you add a tune to your car. Did the tune cause the failure?

Old 10-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

clubairth1, but I guess that is my point. The manual is very clear that you need to use an oil that meets some spec (whatever it is at this moment and varies between year of car). If you told them that you used said oil and it doesn't have that spec written on the bottle, wouldn't that be grounds for not approving the warrantee repair as the car was serviced using an oil that did not meet the specs that they say is needed to make the car run properly? Not trying to start a war here. Just playing devil's advocate. I have heard some horror stories from guys with trucks that did something as simple as replaced only the muffler (kept the DPF and the rest of the factory exhaust system) and they now have no warrantee on their diesel engines because the dealership said that replacing the muffler with an aftermarket one caused the engine to make more power than it was rated to handle (ie, more power than the factory said that truck makes). It is now up to those people to fight in court to get any repairs covered by the dealership. I see this as a similar issue. The VVT requires a very specific oil and if you don't use it, are you at risk of loosing your warrantee. By the way, I have never used the factory called oil in my car in the 100K miles I have owned it (granted, I don't buy the cheapest thing out there either). Working great for me. Do I let the oil sit in their for the 15K miles that they say it should last? OH hell no. I don't think I could let the stuff that they say should be in their go that long. New oil is a cheap insurance policy.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Very true Thermo and you make good points. BUT in the US with Magnuson–Moss Act warranty laws. Jaguar would have to prove the oil you used caused the engine problems. They can not deny warranty coverage for you using non factory aftermarket parts UNLESS they can prove that was the cause of the failure. This was to stop the car manufactures from requiring you to ONLY purchase service and repair parts from them.

This is exactly the same issue when you add a tune to your car. Did the tune cause the failure?
That would not be my interpretation. The law forbids forcing you to buy parts from Jaguar. However, I don't think it forbids having a specification, that parts must meet, and that includes oil.

So if your engine failed, and you had installed oil that does not meet Jaguar's stated specifications, I think they could deny coverage. They would not have to prove that the oil caused the failure (that would be impossible anyway). They would be quite likely to put the onus on you to prove that you changed the oil with a suitable one.

Given the plethora of reasonably priced oils (how many now, 4, 5?) that meet Jaguar specs, why on earth wouldn't you use one, for an in-warranty car? Unless you just really like an argument.

Last edited by Mark SF; 10-05-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 12V Oil Pump Extractor

Originally Posted by Thermo
Artie, I have an electric pump that I connect right to the fuse box there in the engine bay and pump the oil straight to a 5 gallon gas can for recycle. If this is your first time doing it, a good tidbit of info to keep in mind is that you want the oil warm. What I mean by this is you will need to start the car, get the engine up to temp, then park the car and let it sit for say 20 minutes with hte hood open. You get it too hot, it will gas out fairly easy and it makes pumping it out hard. If you have it too cold, getting the oil to flow is a PITA and takes a long time to get all the oil out. Atleast that is what I am seeing with my electric pump.
Thermo:

Thanks for the post. I am preparing to change the oil in my '11 XJ (125k miles) and appreciated this and your earlier posts on this topic. I had a false start with a manual oil extraction pump yesterday that was DOA, so back it went to Amazon and an electric pump is due tomorrow. Your post from 2017 about tying into the 12V source under the hood also saved me the unnecessary trouble of buying a battery I would rarely use. I've had nine Jags and changed the oil in them all except the 351, which has been done by local independents. I no longer go under either of my Jags, but this is obviated with the 5L V8. Good engineering.

I posted to Jag-Lovers a number of times in the past, but Jaguar Forum has been my go-to site for a number of years now. I think you have set some sort of record with over 13k posts, at least in my book!

Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Dan, just a motor head like you that likes to help other members maintain their cars. Helping others also has gotten me the info I need to help myself and them. So, it all plays into my "Pay It Forward" concept of life. I help you, someone helps me, but there is a number of people inbetween that have helped each other. So, do not be afraid to ask a question. Someone is going to stop by and give some helpful advice. take it, learn from it, pass on what you learned to someone else.

The following users liked this post:
DanJensen (12-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil Change questions